I cracked the baffle in my heritage last night.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
What problems is this going to cause. I got the manual out and really didnt see any reference to what would happen. We are aboutto have a huge storm in ohio and need to use the stove. Is it ok to continue using the stove until the weather breaks then get it fixed? I have been watching the stove and it appears to be operating normally.

A crack wont do a lot of damage. I suspect yours has an insulation blanket on top of that? The blanket will seal up any cracks for the most part. The new Quad stoves actually went to a split baffle to make it easier to get out. If you are missing chunks of it then you will get loss of some secondary gasses up the chimney. Check your warranty, I found out recently Quad warranties that part for life, maybe yours does also. They can be expensive to buy.

Ok, let me restate that, there is a chunk about 2" x 4" that broke up through. not just a crack, can I make it through the season, just a couple more weeks? what exactly does that baffle do?

Go to local hardware store and get furnace cement (if you don't already have some). Patch it up with that - use cardboard for a form if necessary (it will burn off). Thats what I did with mine and have been using it all season like that. I would think that using it with the hole will result in poor secondary combustion and possibly harder to control burn. The cement will work fine - patch it up!!! And HURRY - the snow's a comin'!!!!

what part of it broke? /side?

a hole between the middle and back tube.

how old is the stove? call the dealer and get it replaced not good place for a hole the stove may burn quicker and you cloud do some damage to the top of the stove.

The stove is only about 1 year old, I will call the local stove place on monday. How much $ do you suppose that im looking at? Im sure they will have to order the piece, do you all think it is ok to keep using the stove until they can get it fixed?

should be under warranty so you may have to pay for shipping but nothing more i would trry to use it as littel as you can try to keep some smaller fires in it

GAWD!!! that thing cracked in a year??? by all means get hold of your dealer see if he can get one in for you , it HAS to be waranteed id' think , and take corie's and our other posters advice and patch with rutland furnace cement. shold get you through the upcoming storm , wife's sister called earlier today said its supposed to be a honey (she's from Akron)

Status
Not open for further replies.