I Cut A Leaner Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
This leaner fell just the way I predicted it would. It doesn't always happen like that, but it's appreciated when it does!
IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

The grubs were moving today. The Spring weather has warmed them up.
IMG_6426.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

I forgot my straps back at home! So I had to be careful not to do any stunt driving with this load.
IMG_6430.jpg

I'm out of room in the yard again, so had to stack this load in the woods.
IMG_6431.jpg

I'm pretty sure this one is a buck. These guys aren't very much help, but they keep me company while I'm working in the woods. I wonder if they know CPR?
IMG_6434.jpg

Quads great picture, what type of wood was the leaner?

zap

zapny said:

zap

Quads will tell ya it's black oak but really it's red oak ;-P

zapny said:

zap
+1 and great shot of the deer

quads, it appears that leaner would have came down itself before too long. But thankfully it looks like it was an easy one to get down.

Yes, that is a buck. We generally start seeing the first antlers in April but they have lots of growing to do. Looks also like he is changing his coat. They will soon take on a more reddish coat for summer but will look pretty bad until it is done. They look bad then but at least around here they came through this winter in excellent shape.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap
+1 and great shot of the deer
you know if you were caring a gun instead of the saw you would never get this close.Nosey creatures aren't they , I have observed them more than once watching me cut , sometimes kinda creepy . Makes you kinda wonder what other eyes are watching you .

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, it appears that leaner would have came down itself before too long. But thankfully it looks like it was an easy one to get down.

Yes, that is a buck. We generally start seeing the first antlers in April but they have lots of growing to do. Looks also like he is changing his coat. They will soon take on a more reddish coat for summer but will look pretty bad until it is done. They look bad then but at least around here they came through this winter in excellent shape.

Sav up here they have lost there winter coat already.

zap

Nice pics quads. Grubs aren't the only thing warming up, I found a tick on the dog today.

ohio woodburner said:
zapny said:

zap

Quads will tell ya it's black oak but really it's red oak ;-P
Hey, you're right! Was all red oak when I was a kid, now called black oak. Trees are still the same but the name changed.

is this freaking snow storm coming your way? I can't believe it's been snowing since I woke up and isn't letting up. if the ground had been cold we'd have several inches sitting there by this point.

no comment on the splitter......

Backwoods Savage said:

Yes, it was going to fall on it's own soon. My neighbor was up yesterday and he wants to start preparing that trail for a foodplot soon. I told him I'd take the tree down now so wouldn't have to tear the new seeding up later on.

Danno77 said:
is this freaking snow storm coming your way? I can't believe it's been snowing since I woke up and isn't letting up. if the ground had been cold we'd have several inches sitting there by this point.

no comment on the splitter......
It missed us. I could see the cloud bank to the south all day. Was 45° and sunny.

My DH would like to know your method of cutting this leaner. We have some that are leaning and caught in other trees, but still green.

Country Lady, there are various ways of cutting leaners and it all depends upon each situation as to which method is best. If you could post pictures it would help a bit.

I agree with Dennis, there is no single best way to handle each 'leaner' situation. In this case, it came down with one cut to the trunk. If it hadn't, I would have made one cut at a time, cautiously, until it either finally came down or I could easily pull it down.

BUT, they are risky and unpredictable. Always handle each one cautiously, pay attention, keep yourself a clear escape route, and when the need arises don't hesitate to drop the chainsaw and RUN AWAY. If your DH is new to cutting trees/firewood in general, it might be in your best interest to seek help from someone with more experience.

quads said:
I agree with Dennis, there is no single best way to handle each 'leaner' situation. In this case, it came down with one cut to the trunk. If it hadn't, I would have made one cut at a time, cautiously, until it either finally came down or I could easily pull it down.

BUT, they are risky and unpredictable. Always handle each one cautiously, pay attention, keep yourself a clear escape route, and when the need arises don't hesitate to drop the chainsaw and RUN AWAY. If your DH is new to cutting trees/firewood in general, it might be in your best interest to seek help from someone with more experience.

yep there is no do overs!

As soon as I can get DH to help with pictures, I'll post a few. DH and I both are in our 60's and don't run as fast as we use to. Anybody know what I mean? Other than the tractor work and cutting large tree trunks up, I pull my weight with getting in our wood. My health is holding up much better than his. We don't want to take any risky chances, but hate to see a good tree go to waste.

Quads,

When did Fiskars start making that splitter with the longer handle?!

I could have avoided all of these shin fractures?

Country Lady said:
As soon as I can get DH to help with pictures, I'll post a few. DH and I both are in our 60's and don't run as fast as we use to. Anybody know what I mean? Other than the tractor work and cutting large tree trunks up, I pull my weight with getting in our wood. My health is holding up much better than his. We don't want to take any risky chances, but hate to see a good tree go to waste.

Country Lady, we too are in our late 60's. Sadly my wife no longer helps in the woods but still does quite a bit around the house, like bringing in the night's wood and enough for the next morning. She also empties all the ashes (I don't remember the last time I did it). Once in a while she will help and I will usually use a sawbuck so she puts the small branches on the sawbuck while I do the cutting. Then she will throw them into the trailer.

I miss her helping but at the same time I really do not mind working alone. Actually, I enjoy it.

As for that running part, I do not think running is an option when cutting a leaner. If they are going to do some unpredictable thing, it happens so fast that you could not outrun it. That is why I always try to weaken the tree by cutting a bit more on the opposite side from where I am standing. Then if it decides to go it will usually go on the weakened side and I am okay. One just can't be too careful though as most times you don't get second chances. I've even used a come-a-long and a long chain to take down some leaners. In short, you do what you have to.

I also must tell you about a leaner I had this past winter. I cut a good sized tree knowing fully well it might hang up. It did. After looking over the situation, I simply walked away. Within the next couple of days we had a windy day. The day after I went back and the tree was down. That is sometimes the best option and a safe one too.

Remember too that those leaners do not necessarily go to waste. As long as the wood is not touching the ground it takes a long time for the wood to rot. It might get rotten at the butt but the rest of the tree will usually be good.

Thanks for the great pics.
Looks like a few other future leaners there too.
I see you got some fish bait too. :) Alway wondered what they turned into, some kind of beetle I think.
Deer looks happy winter is over.

karri0n said:
Quads,

When did Fiskars start making that splitter with the longer handle?!

I could have avoided all of these shin fractures?
That's my name; Archibald Fiskars.

Backwoods Savage said:
Country Lady said:

Country Lady, we too are in our late 60's. Sadly my wife no longer helps in the woods but still does quite a bit around the house, like bringing in the night's wood and enough for the next morning. She also empties all the ashes (I don't remember the last time I did it). Once in a while she will help and I will usually use a sawbuck so she puts the small branches on the sawbuck while I do the cutting. Then she will throw them into the trailer.

I miss her helping but at the same time I really do not mind working alone. Actually, I enjoy it.

As for that running part, I do not think running is an option when cutting a leaner. If they are going to do some unpredictable thing, it happens so fast that you could not outrun it. That is why I always try to weaken the tree by cutting a bit more on the opposite side from where I am standing. Then if it decides to go it will usually go on the weakened side and I am okay. One just can't be too careful though as most times you don't get second chances. I've even used a come-a-long and a long chain to take down some leaners. In short, you do what you have to.

I also must tell you about a leaner I had this past winter. I cut a good sized tree knowing fully well it might hang up. It did. After looking over the situation, I simply walked away. Within the next couple of days we had a windy day. The day after I went back and the tree was down. That is sometimes the best option and a safe one too.

Remember too that those leaners do not necessarily go to waste. As long as the wood is not touching the ground it takes a long time for the wood to rot. It might get rotten at the butt but the rest of the tree will usually be good.
Only one time did I have to run away. Was helping a neighbor who had two leaners leaning together into another green tree that he was not going to cut. He hooked onto the butt of one of them with his ATV and a chain. As he was pulling it down, the top branches hooked the top of the other leaner, pulling it down way off to the side, exactly where I was standing at what I felt was a safe distance. I was holding my saw, dropped it, and ran away. Missed me by inches. So, it didn't really happen while cutting, but that darn leaner still tried to kick my butt!

Otherwise, never had to run from a tree. Although when felling, I step away once the tree starts to go.

bogydave said:
Thanks for the great pics.
Looks like a few other future leaners there too.
I see you got some fish bait too. :) Alway wondered what they turned into, some kind of beetle I think.
Deer looks happy winter is over.
Ya, all the trees around that one are dead too. Oak wilt.

You're probably right about the grubs, turn into some kind of beetle. I think it takes a long time though, like years.

quads, stepping away is a must! But it also has to be in the right direction. Best is a 45 degree angle away from the tree. I've seen guys go straight back....and get hit with flying limbs. Also the butt can kick back when those limbs hit the ground and will also sometimes go sideways. So I always make sure I have a path before I cut the tree and go out at an angle. So far, so good.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, stepping away is a must! But it also has to be in the right direction. Best is a 45 degree angle away from the tree. I've seen guys go straight back....and get hit with flying limbs. Also the butt can kick back when those limbs hit the ground and will also sometimes go sideways. So I always make sure I have a path before I cut the tree and go out at an angle. So far, so good.
Yes, absolutely! And above all else, people need to pay attention. Most accidents happen because they don't pay attention to what they are doing and they don't think things through. If you're standing there with your mouth hanging open, you're probably going to get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.