I cut a little wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Wood-3.jpg

Wood-4-1.jpg

No, I did not cut all of that today. Since there are so many who ask for identification of wood, I thought, why not ask how many different types of wood are in this stack and what are they? I'll even give a hint that I'd guess 99% will get at least one right.

Wood-2.jpg

Wood-6.jpg

Wood-7.jpg

Thats ash,and you cut and stacked that all today by yourself?

No, not all today; just a little bit is all I do at a time. But there is more than ash in that stack.

Backwoods Savage said:
No, not all today; just a little bit is all I do at a time. But there is more than ash in that stack.
Us older guys have to take it a little bit at a time over trying to cut 2 cords in one day huh
Dennis? ;-)

Shipper

I can only tell by the smell when it is burning so as soon as all that wood is seasoned drop it off at my house and I will let you know what type is there.

Dennis that sure is a nice lookin stash of Ash. I'm running low , down to two face of ash . Seems like all iv been able to score on as of late is Oak . So that ash sure looks good to me ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:

Ash is all I can make out. Great looking stack...Glad that wasn't in one day sure making me fill very weak there fro a moment.

Jay, I'll give you a little hint; there are only two types of wood there and I figured for sure everyone would guess the ash as it is pretty apparent and most know I've been cutting a bunch of it. But there is one more in there. Look closely at that third picture.

Shipper, you are right. The days of cutting many cords in a day are past for me. I have that little trailer and cut from 2 to 4 loads in a day and that is enough. Only 2 today but I'm in no hurry.

On the other hand, it appears our wood pile will be shrinking considerably within the next couple of weeks. That's good which means I can keep on cutting.

AQUALUNG1919, you are at 50%.

Raven, I like the ash too. For sure it will season a whole lot faster than oak and it burns good too.

bambam, I'll drop some off on my way out to Woodstock's factory.

Dennis, Is it white oak. I see a little bark that looks like it. Man, I wish I could cut all straight stuff like that.....seldom get that chance. Sure is a nice looking stack!

Thanks Chief. We don't have a lot of oak on our place although I do plan on cutting some very soon but it is just some small red oaks. I did notice one twin white oak today that looks like it might be starting to rot at the bottom. If so, there will be a decent amount of wood there.....except one would fall towards the high wires that go through along the edge of our place. So, no, it is not oak for the other wood. I'll give another hint if someone doesn't name it.

I think on the top of the stack in the third picture there is some aspen. I also think I see a big round of White Oak in the third picture (far end, top of the pile), even though you say it isn't there.

hackleberry?

Bingo! We have a winner folks. Congratulations to 3fordasho.

There is only ash and elm in that stack. Isn't it amazing how pictures make it so much more difficult to tell what wood it really is. I've actually cut 3 small elm but most of the stack is ash. Today when I dropped an ash it fell onto a log that I had forgot was there. I looked at it and sure enough it was an elm that I either cut or it fell last winter. I cut some off the bottom and just left the top. It is still good enough to burn so we'll make use of it.

The hard part today was that I was cutting in the midst of some prickly ash. If anyone has not had the pleasure of trying to walk through a stand of prickly ash, they really should make a point of doing so. It is an experience for sure. There is one more quite small ash in that spot yet to cut before moving to a new spot.

I have two other ash near there that need to come out but the bad part is they will fall right onto a big brush pile from some other ash that was cut last year. I think I'll wait until the snow is off because I'll have to climb up onto the brush to cut the wood. I don't want it to be slippery then.

Sorry Jay. You typed faster than I did. Now you know it is elm and ash.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry Jay. You typed faster than I did. Now you know it is elm and ash.

I was trying to think what would blend in well with ash tulip would have been the only other thing I could come up with.

We usually cut quite a bit of dead elm and usually try to wait until all the bark is off. I think it burns better and for sure it splits a lot better that way. We have a lot of it this year as I haven't cut very much of it in the last couple of years so I'll be cutting more of it from time to time if we don't get snowed in or iced in.

We're hoping you guys get that ice storm that is predicted as we figure you surely need it worse than we do.

Backwoods Savage said:
We usually cut quite a bit of dead elm and usually try to wait until all the bark is off. I think it burns better and for sure it splits a lot better that way. We have a lot of it this year as I haven't cut very much of it in the last couple of years so I'll be cutting more of it from time to time if we don't get snowed in or iced in.

We're hoping you guys get that ice storm that is predicted as we figure you surely need it worse than we do.

Thanks Dennis gen-set ready hope we dont need it.

Backwoods Savage said:
I cut a little wood today
I was going to say "and cut it in a snowstorm too!" when I saw the snow on top.
Backwoods Savage said:
No, I did not cut all of that today.

Nice job of christmas shopping sav! How much do you think is there?

zap

Good work Dennis! Those are some tall stacks!

I was going to say elm, as I was reading I seen it was already answered. I wasn't sure but figured I seen a barkless wood that wasn't ash and knew you had some elm on your property from previous posts.

rdust, that is why I thought some would guess right off what it was.

zap, I don't know how much is there. It is about 4 1/2' high and the length must be around 20' at least and most are cut to 16" so one could figure from that but that second row is not as long yet as the first. I'll just wait and see what I end up with when splitting time comes....next March or April.

One thing I did not mention that was yesterday on the one ash I fell it had a pretty good sized poison ivy vine growing up. After I cut to length I then just took the axe and got it off.

Another interesting thing happened in the afternoon too. It now appears quite a bit of our woodpile might be shrinking next week as someone is out of wood and can't find anything other than fresh cut....until he saw mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.