I.d. help please... again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjoseph

Sep 17, 2013
omaha, ne
I have a few of these. They are all very dead with little to no bark on them, making harder for me to look up. I mistook them for black locust last night even though they are a different color. I thought the yellow color of the black locust might fade to pink after a few years of sitting around. Now im realizing that dosent really make since. They were right next to eachother and the same shape and height. 40' or so.

The last picture is this wood mixed in with the black locust from last night.

It has a very solid pink color throughout and is not hard to split.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20131120_145834.jpg
    20131120_145834.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 20131120_140008.jpg
    20131120_140008.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 20131120_135955.jpg
    20131120_135955.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20131119_172205.jpg
    20131119_172205.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 201
Methinks you may have some red elm there and not sure on the other but might be some white oak or a hard maple.

Yes Red Elm and maybe American elm?

I don't know but it sure looks ready to burn.

Appears typical of elm with no bark. Except for the ease of splitting and the split itself leads me to think otherwise. Could be cherry but I'm not sold on that either.

Red elm (well, the one red elm I've dealt with anyhow) splits much more easily than American elm.

Appears typical of elm with no bark. Except for the ease of splitting and the split itself leads me to think otherwise. Could be cherry but I'm not sold on that either.

I shouldn't have said how easy it splits. I just did one real quick to take a picture and get a moisture reading. Its somwwhat difficult, but not as hard as other elms iI've split.

Burns slow and hot, tried a bit out last night. Getting cold here.

I am thinking its red elm also after looking at a few more photos. I

Thank you all for the help here. I really like this forum because I would otherwise not know what I'm burning. More enjoyable when I know what to expect and what I have. Thanks!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.