I did it! I cleaned my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmittjames

Oct 29, 2010
central ct
After a full day of trial and error, its done! up and running! Started at about 9:30 am, one trip to the local hardware store, one to Sears, a stop at the grocery store, a five-year old's soccer game, a full on family outing to a local festival, and take out pizza, its finished and running at 8:30 pm. phew. Would have been a lot easier if i'd had everything i needed and if i didn't have 3 small "assistants."

anyway, its done, MUCH thanks to jdbell and j-takeman for your guidance -- couldn't have done it without!

My one remaining question is this: after running the Linteater up and down and not getting much residual, do i REALLY need to haul my leafblower up to my 2nd story roof? I can do it, but it won't be easy. There was a significant amount of soot clogging the liner from the blower to about 6 inches up. I am guessing that a lot of that settled since we last burned in March? What do you think, can i call it a day, or do i need to drag my butt up there?

The LintEater is really just for for cleaning the pipe. The leafblower will pull any remaining ash out of the stove's insides...places you can't get to. if it isn't too much of a pain, it's worth doing at least once a year.

Yes, do it, if you can. I have the same stove. Leave off the firebrick panel's, dis-connect the vacuum pressure hose from the switch end ( brownish/orange colored hose on the left side next to combustion blower) and turn leaf blower on. You'll be surprized how much more ash come out. Also if you can, blow some compressed air (can) up in the inside top left side, right side and front as allot of ash still hides up there. Just started mine up yesterday with some "maine choice" pellets. What a difference when you have it cleaned. I'll be doing a complete cleaning after each ton this year for sure.....good luck

If you swept exhaust pipe from bottom to top with a brush, no need to use a leaf blower. Thats the pipe, for the stove, best to clean stove with high quality vacuum and fine dust filter and vac cap, remove blowers from stove and clean with dry paint brush. Clean up around air tubes thoroghly with vacuum and brush (it will be very dusty) remove the inner lining and panels, brush down and clean well (don't forget exh passage out to combustion blower). I put a coat of protecting black paint (stove high temp) on inner components that have any surface rust showing, clean off auger motor and housing and seal any sawdust leaks around motor housing and pellet hopper housing seams, remove hose off vac switch, blow thru (make sure not blowing into Vac Sw, you could damage it..) clean out any dust inside the stove inner shell, hit all with black paint on the outside. For the exh blower, the orig gasket will likely rip. If you can get self sealing glass gasket (3/4" flat gasket) from a local dealer, replace with this, it will seal and each year you'll appreciate doing this, seal that on with silicone (hi temp) even though its self sticking, it won't last. Look for leakage around exhaust output flange and re-silicone as necessary. Next, airwash gets vacuumed, and door gets cleaned and touched up (if black, if plated with gold or nicket, wipe clean). One last thing, exhaust sensor in exhaust housing (above comb blower) needs cleaning too, it will get fly ash on it. The greenfire is actually made by Enviro, styled after their Meridian stove, they make it for Regency, you prob already know though. Good luck.

Stovelark
Env EF3
Env Empress FPI
Env Kodiak wood FS

stovelark said:
If you swept exhaust pipe from bottom to top with a brush, no need to use a leaf blower. Thats the pipe, for the stove, best to clean stove with high quality vacuum and fine dust filter and vac cap, remove blowers from stove and clean with dry paint brush. Clean up around air tubes thoroghly with vacuum and brush (it will be very dusty) remove the inner lining and panels, brush down and clean well (don't forget exh passage out to combustion blower). I put a coat of protecting black paint (stove high temp) on inner components that have any surface rust showing, clean off auger motor and housing and seal any sawdust leaks around motor housing and pellet hopper housing seams, remove hose off vac switch, blow thru (make sure not blowing into Vac Sw, you could damage it..) clean out any dust inside the stove inner shell, hit all with black paint on the outside. For the exh blower, the orig gasket will likely rip. If you can get self sealing glass gasket (3/4" flat gasket) from a local dealer, replace with this, it will seal and each year you'll appreciate doing this, seal that on with silicone (hi temp) even though its self sticking, it won't last. Look for leakage around exhaust output flange and re-silicone as necessary. Next, airwash gets vacuumed, and door gets cleaned and touched up (if black, if plated with gold or nicket, wipe clean). One last thing, exhaust sensor in exhaust housing (above comb blower) needs cleaning too, it will get fly ash on it. The greenfire is actually made by Enviro, styled after their Meridian stove, they make it for Regency, you prob already know though. Good luck.

Stovelark
Env EF3
Env Empress FPI
Env Kodiak wood FS

Yep. Do all that and Still use the leafblower. If you have never done so, you woulkd be amazed at what you miss. Even doing a full teardown of exhaust, blower, full exchange system cleaning, etc..

Anyone who has tried it will tell you.... You wont go back.

Attachments

• Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    Leaf-Blower on house.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Ash Destroyer.jpg
    Ash Destroyer.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 323
Yes it is worth doing. I've come in behind guys who clean stoves for a living (with out the use of a leaf blower/vac) and even after they remove all the motors and clean all the nooks and crannies I still get dust being sucked out. It really gets air back into the places you can't reach by hand. Do it, you'll be happy you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.