I did order my stove pipe and chimney parts with a damper equiped transition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With my new Englander13NC stove I doubt I will ever have to close the damper unless i have a chimney fire. But the damper transition is the first piece of stove pipe from the wood stove and then joins into a 6'" DVL pipe.. As I couldn't predict the draft flow in my area, I thought it prudent to be prepared for the worst case senario. The damper equiped pipe transition was only $15 more so I figured what the hell. I do live in a River Valley area surrounded by mountains on one side that often times brings excessively high winds to my area.

I put one in too Joe. They say you don't need it with this stove, and they might be right. But I figured it wouldn't hurt, and I just like having the added protection/controll/shutdown capability it can provide.

With 12' of stack, I'm pretty sure you'll never need less draft. As long as you are correctly burning dry wood, you should never have a chimney fire. These stoves burn a lot cleaner than the old smoke dragons did and you have a near ideal flue setup.

I have considered adding one to my similar setup. Reason being that even when the stove primary air is shut off, our non-cat stoves will be putting lots of air into the fire thanks to the EPA. My Heritage will run at 450 with the primary air completely closed off and maybe I only want 350 or maybe I want a longer burn so closing the damper can allow this extra control.

Only real negative is that cleaning the chimney will no longer be as easy as running the brush into the stove. That damper section will get in the way.

Yeah High Beam, you got that right, I do have a collapsible DVL pipe to help me with the cleaning and I also have to remember to pull out the probe thermometer used with my DVL pipe. Whats that silly saying an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Wish life was easier, but it's not ...so join the rest of us hard working people adding addition tasks to their already busy life.
Joe

Well I've had a damper so long I kind of miss one...good move Joe I should have went with my gut and insisted on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.