I did puchase a stove thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
However after reading the back of the package the thermometer states that it is for single wall pipe only and I have double wall stove pipe. It also indicated that the device should be placed about 18" up from the stove. I haven't opened the package as yet but the thermometer only goes up to 850 degrees F. I guess i can't use this device Huh? But i have never seen a Double (DVL) pipe thermometer. The device starts to red line at 600 degrees. Can any of you knowledgable people tell me if i can live with is thermometer or where i can purchase a double wall DVL stove thermometer? Also what is a consistant burn temperature with my Englander stove?
Many thanks, Joe

Joe,

I just bought a standard Rutland thermometer at HD. It has a magnet on the back and I placed it right on the stove top of my stove.....right in between the front edge of the stove and the flue collar.

Depending on how cold it was outside, I ran my Englander anywhere from 350, 400 up to 600 degrees. It served me well at that range FWIW.

You can use that thermometer on the stove top as well. Place it about 6" away from the flue pipe. The zones will not be correct, but it will work fine. Tfin's temps sound right on. Don't be surprised if with a full load of wood that the stove top reaches 650 at peak secondary combustion, but try to keep it no higher than that.

You need a probe thermometer for double-wall. But I went years without one.

I'm going to Woodman's Parts plus in N.H to pick my 3 foot cricket tomorrow. I think i'll check out their old stove museum and pick up a few woodstove items I have been meaning to get. Like a probe thermometer for $23 .It a condar and i do have the receipt for the $16.75 stove thermometer form the local trustworthy. I also need a hearth rake as I've found that the most important implement on my hearth as long as you got a real good pair of fireplace gloves, which i am after. And lastly I need some firewood carriers, maybe 2 of the canvas types as they seem to last long and can be used hard. Maybe i'll take my camera and see if there is anything worth shooting.
Regards Joe

I gave up on my canvas carrier a while ago. Now I bring a cart full to the porch and load the wood box I built. That covers me for several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.