I do believe this is the biggest round I ever split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
I will tell you this. It was a workout just getting this SOB to the splitter. Peavy, 2x4s and a lot of grunt.

Anyone see my nads on the ground?

Time for a beer!

KC

This was not a dictonary round. Bucked at 21 inches.

Attachments

• Monster rounds 001.jpg
    Monster rounds 001.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 822
  • Monster rounds 002.jpg
    Monster rounds 002.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 825
  • Monster rounds 003.jpg
    Monster rounds 003.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 829
  • Monster rounds 004.jpg
    Monster rounds 004.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 826
  • Monster rounds 005.jpg
    Monster rounds 005.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 822
  • Monster rounds 006.jpg
    Monster rounds 006.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 817
If that doesn't showcase the benefits of vertical splitting, I don't know what would.

pen

Ummm, yup. Dennis might be on to something.

Picked up this splitter last week, this is my first time splitting vertical. In the past, I would've at least had to quarter them.

KC

KC, Mrs Savage saw the pictures and the firs thing she said was, "That's where my gloves went! KC stole them!"

Yes, those make one know he needs some muscle to do the job.

pen said:
If that doesn't showcase the benefits of vertical splitting, I don't know what would.

pen

No peavy, no 2x4's and barely a grunt to roll it in place. Those are 42+ inch rounds.

Attachments

• easy1.jpg
    easy1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 772
Battenkiller said:
Jags said:
No peavy, no 2x4's and barely a grunt to roll it in place. Those are 42+ inch rounds.

So girth matters after all?

Don't let them fool you into thinking it doesn't. :lol:

No peavy, no 2x4’s and barely a grunt to roll it in place. Those are 42+ inch rounds.

Looks like plenty of good equipment around!

KC

Try that without a log lift. I have a batch of 40-50" drums waiting for me to split them. I'm letting them check so that I can make them into movable chunks first.

I split a few 48" but without pictures they don't count. Other than moving them, I love those rounds. A weekend of wood in one round. Nice idea using 2 X around the base of the beam. I'm always pushing bark and small splits under the round to keep it against the beam.

Log lifts reign supreme for the big 'uns. No man-handling, just roll 'em on and hit the lever. They are pricey on new splitters tho. I manage with a vertical but I'm pretty sure I injured my back 2 weeks ago pushing 33" pin oak rounds onto the splitter. I'm 28 so that's an eye opener.

Made three young men fart and a pretty girl sing! (one old dude to hold camera) :cheese: 50+red oak.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 672
  • xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 652

Attachments

• 081711 split 2.jpg
    081711 split 2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 634
That's a great splitter when can i barrow it?????

iskiatomic said:
I will tell you this. It was a workout just getting this SOB to the splitter. Peavy, 2x4s and a lot of grunt.

Anyone see my nads on the ground?

Time for a beer!

KC

This was not a dictonary round. Bucked at 21 inches.

Iski's first pic shows some real wide annular rings at 1 inch. Musta been wet years. Always astounds me how hydro splitters can snap anything that big apart....

Good job splitting that big heavy monster.
A weeks worth of fire wood in one round.
Way too big for me to handle. Thats the sizes of some of our cottonwoods.
If I can't cut it with a 20" bar, it stays where it is. I don't have that problem with birch,
I can remember cutting 2 birch over 20" at the base & I thought they were big.

smokinjay said:
:cheese: 50+red oak.

Yeah baby, THATS what I am talking about. I love working with the big rounds. I can whittle them into splits and make a pile in a hurry.

As far as equipment. I likes my hydraulics. And hydraulics with wheels are even better. :cheese:

now that is what vertical is for...not all the other stuff.

Why not just wedge and sledge that into quarters first, you can see how easy that Pin Oak splits in the first splitting pic, just saying as I have a hernia from manhandling too much.

ChrisNJ said:
Why not just wedge and sledge that into quarters first, you can see how easy that Pin Oak splits in the first splitting pic, just saying as I have a hernia from manhandling too much.

Totally agree. I pie them up with a wedge and sledge right where I drop them. If I can't lift or move the round - it's wedge and sledge time.

Jags said:
pen said:

pen

Right Jags! No mention of the log lifter....

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags said:
pen said:

pen

Right Jags! No mention of the log lifter....

Thats why I attached the picture. ;-)

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
:cheese: 50+red oak.

Yeah baby, THATS what I am talking about. I love working with the big rounds. I can whittle them into splits and make a pile in a hurry.

As far as equipment. I likes my hydraulics. And hydraulics with wheels are even better. :cheese:

Yea me too! I am not one of the three young men! lol I heald my own with the camera. Pays to watch sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.