I Don't Get It! Please Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I got my stove installed a few days back. Runs great except for one problem. I consistently see beads of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe even after 1 hr into my burn. I think I can even smell it. (Mt. Vernon AE by the way.) I had my installer come back to re silicone around the pipe and the top vent adaptor thinking that would do the trick. Still spits out smoke. Guys, how is that possible? Those two pieces are screwed and siliconed together yet smoke gets through. Is it possible the leak is coming from somewhere else that I am not seeing? BTW, I've only run the stove three times thus far. HELP!!

I'm anxious to see what others say on this board as I'm having the same exact problem with my Mt Vernon AE. Service department is to be here today, supposedly to reinspect as there by their words is a gasket that should've been installed in the discharge pipe leading to the outside. Can't live with this, dangerous for one thing but will eventually turn into smoke damage in your home.

jj

let me know what you find out once your guy comes today if you don't mind. Just reply in this thread. thanks. Anyone else with thoughts on this matter?

I don't own an AE but as has been mentioned before in these forums I have also found that the very best way to find exactly where a leak is coming from is at night with the stove running and all the lights turned off. Then with a nice bright flashlight, start at where you see the smoke and follow it to it's source. I recently found that I had a small leak coming from the bottom of my "T" where the cleanout cap is.

As long as it's sealed with high-temp silicone, it's impossible for it to leak. So there has to be another source somewhere below (smoke rises).

Steve

Shortstuff said:
I don't own an AE but as has been mentioned before in these forums I have also found that the very best way to find exactly where a leak is coming from is at night with the stove running and all the lights turned off. Then with a nice bright flashlight, start at where you see the smoke and follow it to it's source. I recently found that I had a small leak coming from the bottom of my "T" where the cleanout cap is.

As long as it's sealed with high-temp silicone, it's impossible for it to leak. So there has to be another source somewhere below (smoke rises).

Steve

I don't have that stove, but it sounds that your vent pipe isn't "drawing" as well as it should.....the heat & blower should be sending this up the pipe. How much vertical rise do you have? Most manufacturers I've read about want at least 60" vertical rise.

Hi macman, if you're post was in reference to me I appreciate the reply. Everything is working as it should and everything is sealed very, very well, but I remember that when I installed the cap at the bottom of my "T" it didn't turn fully-locked, hence the expected leak. It's very minor, but I'm going to remove the cap and visually inspect the entire ventpipe (it rises 14' straight up throught the ceiling, attic and roof), then I'll re-install the cap tightly and seal with sealant.

Thanks again: Steve

Are you sure it is not just a the paint burning off?

It's a bit of a long shot, but one place to look are seams of the elbows. There have been some reports of leakage at these seams. Not where the elbow connects to another piece, but the actual joints in the pipe as it makes the 90 deg turn.

Thank you all for your reply...BGreen you were right on the money. Seems the leak is coming from a seam in the vent pipe itself. I have a horizontal discharge that they are also going to redo and take it up horizontally as I don't believe I have enough draw. This site is the most informative place I have ever seen. The veteran burners we newbies turn to for help are appreciated and I'm sure I don't stand alone on this...thank you guys(gals)

Status
Not open for further replies.