1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I Don't Get It! Please Help!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Drew1024, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I got my stove installed a few days back. Runs great except for one problem. I consistently see beads of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe even after 1 hr into my burn. I think I can even smell it. (Mt. Vernon AE by the way.) I had my installer come back to re silicone around the pipe and the top vent adaptor thinking that would do the trick. Still spits out smoke. Guys, how is that possible? Those two pieces are screwed and siliconed together yet smoke gets through. Is it possible the leak is coming from somewhere else that I am not seeing? BTW, I've only run the stove three times thus far. HELP!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jj1949

jj1949 New Member

Loc:
    ND
    I'm anxious to see what others say on this board as I'm having the same exact problem with my Mt Vernon AE. Service department is to be here today, supposedly to reinspect as there by their words is a gasket that should've been installed in the discharge pipe leading to the outside. Can't live with this, dangerous for one thing but will eventually turn into smoke damage in your home.
  3. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    jj

let me know what you find out once your guy comes today if you don't mind. Just reply in this thread. thanks. Anyone else with thoughts on this matter?
  4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    I don't own an AE but as has been mentioned before in these forums I have also found that the very best way to find exactly where a leak is coming from is at night with the stove running and all the lights turned off. Then with a nice bright flashlight, start at where you see the smoke and follow it to it's source. I recently found that I had a small leak coming from the bottom of my "T" where the cleanout cap is.

As long as it's sealed with high-temp silicone, it's impossible for it to leak. So there has to be another source somewhere below (smoke rises).

Steve
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

I don't have that stove, but it sounds that your vent pipe isn't "drawing" as well as it should.....the heat & blower should be sending this up the pipe. How much vertical rise do you have? Most manufacturers I've read about want at least 60" vertical rise.
  6. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    Hi macman, if you're post was in reference to me I appreciate the reply. Everything is working as it should and everything is sealed very, very well, but I remember that when I installed the cap at the bottom of my "T" it didn't turn fully-locked, hence the expected leak. It's very minor, but I'm going to remove the cap and visually inspect the entire ventpipe (it rises 14' straight up throught the ceiling, attic and roof), then I'll re-install the cap tightly and seal with sealant.

Thanks again: Steve
  7. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I have a vertical install of 20 ft of 4 inch pipe. Shouldn't that give me a good draw?
  8. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Are you sure it is not just a the paint burning off?
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a bit of a long shot, but one place to look are seams of the elbows. There have been some reports of leakage at these seams. Not where the elbow connects to another piece, but the actual joints in the pipe as it makes the 90 deg turn.
  10. jj1949

jj1949 New Member

Loc:
    ND
    Thank you all for your reply...BGreen you were right on the money. Seems the leak is coming from a seam in the vent pipe itself. I have a horizontal discharge that they are also going to redo and take it up horizontally as I don't believe I have enough draw. This site is the most informative place I have ever seen. The veteran burners we newbies turn to for help are appreciated and I'm sure I don't stand alone on this...thank you guys(gals)
  11. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    I would also wrap all connections even the elbow joints with alum tape.
  12. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    and seal those screwed joints too....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.