I don't get it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gzecc,

As I mentioned above, I had Sandy go right over my house. I honestly can't count how many trees we lost (100+?), and we were also without power for most of a week. It wasn't cold to the point of saying my stove was a real necessity, tho, and I had no trouble keeping my oil-fired boiler running off my little 8kW generator. In our case, gas became a little more fun to buy (some stations were closed the first day or three), but it could be found without an enormous amount of trouble.

The woodstoves definitely made things much more pleasant, so I wasn't arguing against having one at all. I was just refuting the statement that they're necessary to make it thru events such as this. They are a nice thing to have... but not entirely necessary, at least around here.

We average a major hurricane type event maybe twice per decade, but it's usually fairly warm when they happen. Hurricanes usually require warm air to become effective.

Hurricanes visit us every three years or so. But we lose power every winter from snow or ice and power lines that run through miles and miles so trees. And we are at the end of the line as far as restoration goes. Of course with no other heat source it doesn't make any difference if the power is on or off except for lights and the well pump. Well, that and hearth.com.

Different people have different circumstances. By choice, fate, necessity or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.