I don't need a portable saw mill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, I don't need one and the guy comin to my place is charging 65$ / hour with his. But still, if santa would get me one, i would be happy, and it would gave me a good reason to buy: 1 tractor, 100 wooded acres and build myself a wood shop...... :p

I dont need $1,000,000 either,but sure wouldnt turn it down. ::-)

Reactions: Realstone
Hi
I had the pleasure of using a Lucas mill this summer.Simple to set up simple to sharpen,just a great mill for what i was doing.I was resawing old bridge timbers for flooring for our house.They were 6" by 22" and up to 22 ' long.I cut enough to do 1600 sq ft.
I have a pile of hemlock logs i might cut up for decking.So we\ll see how it is for sawing from logs.
Thomas

When I was younger I had the unique pleasure of being the tail-sawyer on a portable saw mill for a few weeks in the summer on Candy Mountain just outside of Thunder Bay. It was an old belt driven CPR unit, originally used for making railway ties in the bush. My uncle would cut down poplar and I would skid the logs to the mill. We sliced enough to make a barn and an extension to his house. Great experience for a 14 year old :)

This website seems to get a lot of traffic from people who bought portable sawmills and now want to sell them. I think a lot of folks who buy these dont realize the amount of work and extra equipment that is needed to actually come out ahead compared to buying wood. http://www.sawmillexchange.com/

Reactions: Realstone
Hi
Yea having extra equipment helps,i have a Bobcat S220 with forks so moving a 24' beam was easy.I doubt i would done it if i didn't have the rest of the equipment i have.I would think about buying a mill ,it would go well with what i have.But it looks like i have use of the Lucas whenever i need it
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.