I dont own a chimney brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
After about 4 cords through my Blaze king I decided to check my chimney. I pulled the cap and looked down with a spotlight. It is still clean. I was quite surprised. I guess I can put off buying the 8" brush for a while longer. I imagine the -40 to -60 temps have helped as I have kept this thing cooking 24 hrs a day. I have still only built a fire 2 times. Once this past fall and one time after we left town for 3 days. I still use the boiler for some heat and domestic hot water. I have used 150 gal so far this winter.

that is quite impressive stove usage there.

For your neck of the woods 150 gal of oil is nothing at all.

You are going to go ahead and buy that brush sometime, so no point in waiting forever. Even if the chimney looks good it is still a good practice to be in the habit of a mid season cleaning.

But of course, I am a bit on the paranoid side. But the way I see it, if there is nothing in the chimney to burn as fuel, then there can't be a fire.

pen

Wolfkiller, that is impressive! You have a winner!

btw, we won't burn that much wood all season here. We used to go through around 6 cords and have even went through 7, but when we put in the new stove we dropped to less than 3 last year. Probably the same this year or slightly more.

CZARCAR said:
wolfkiller said:
After about 4 cords through my Blaze king I decided to check my chimney. I pulled the cap and looked down with a spotlight. It is still clean. I was quite surprised. I guess I can put off buying the 8" brush for a while longer. I imagine the -40 to -60 temps have helped as I have kept this thing cooking 24 hrs a day. I have still only built a fire 2 times. Once this past fall and one time after we left town for 3 days. I still use the boiler for some heat and domestic hot water. I have used 150 gal so far this winter.
is this 1 chimney for both burners?

No. My boiler has a 6" stack that gets cleaned 1 time a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.