I don't remember getting that firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Do you ever bring wood inside to burn it and you just can't remember where it came from? I have some wood that I just can't remember getting, and there isn't very much of it at all. I just don't remember where it came from, and I'm not sure on the ID. I'll try to post pictures. I took a cell pic before I threw it in the stove, but the picture isn't great. If I find more I'll take a good camera picture. It looks a heck of a lot like red maple or something. it's very red in color and the grain is like maple. there was a teensy bit of bark, but it was no help. what else could be red around here?

anyway, the point is that I generally remember every scrounge and tree for the season. When you start getting a large collection of wood, does this happen more? Dennis (and a few others) don't count on this, because they might be throwing stuff in the stove that they collected 7 years ago, lol.

I don't generally remember where it came from, but somehow I always seem to remember when I split it and what it looked like before it was split.
I can remember each split from 3-5 cords worth of wood and not my wifes b-day...go figure!

Funny thread...I don't have a huge stash, but when I am moving the splits from the woodpile to the screen porch, I usually recall the scrounge that yielded said piece. The part that I sometimes can't remember is looking on the screen porch the following morning and saying "did I burn that much wood last night" :) usually cuz I had a few adult beverages the night before.

The wood of a Red Maple is light, almost white. It isn't red, at least none of the many Red Maples I have cut were red. I think the tree is named for the color of the leaves in the fall.

Wood Duck said:
The wood of a Red Maple is light, almost white. It isn't red, at least none of the many Red Maples I have cut were red. I think the tree is named for the color of the leaves in the fall.
I hear ya, any ideas on this red/orange-red wood? I did find another split when i just went home to load the stove. It has a nice bark sample on it, but I had left my camera in my briefcase at work. pics will come later.

Danno77 said:
Do you ever bring wood inside to burn it and you just can't remember where it came from? I have some wood that I just can't remember getting, and there isn't very much of it at all. I just don't remember where it came from, and I'm not sure on the ID. I'll try to post pictures. I took a cell pic before I threw it in the stove, but the picture isn't great. If I find more I'll take a good camera picture. It looks a heck of a lot like red maple or something. it's very red in color and the grain is like maple. there was a teensy bit of bark, but it was no help. what else could be red around here?

anyway, the point is that I generally remember every scrounge and tree for the season. When you start getting a large collection of wood, does this happen more? Dennis (and a few others) don't count on this, because they might be throwing stuff in the stove that they collected 7 years ago, lol.
For me, I think the reminising is what I enjoy the most. I remember the scrounge while looking at the splits ripening in their stacks.

Danno77 said:

Now that's funny....I thought I was the only who did that. %-P

yellow/orange wood sounds like mulberry, hedge, or cherry.

When I stack wood, I am always sure I will remember exactly where each seemingly unique round came from. I usually don't.

Danno77 said:

You might have gotten some of that Obama wood. If it makes a lot of noise but doesn't give you any benefit I bet thats what you're burning.

Wood Duck said:
yellow/orange wood sounds like mulberry, hedge, or cherry.

When I stack wood, I am always sure I will remember exactly where each seemingly unique round came from. I usually don't.
No, not yellow-orange. It's much redder than like hedge. I'm home now. let me take a pic.
[comment edited because MAYBE it is mulberry]

ok, an assortment of non flash and flash pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0826 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0826 (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCN0827 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0827 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0828 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0828 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCN0829 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0829 (Small).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 558
  • DSCN0834 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0834 (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 556
Silver maple? I know I get some pieces that have some colour, although not as much as this piece. The grain looks similar. Have you scrounged that species, ever?

op_man1 said:
Silver maple? I know I get some pieces that have some colour, although not as much as this piece. The grain looks similar. Have you scrounged that species, ever?
yeah, I've had Silver before. I do have some maple in the stack right now, but this doesn't match it. The Mulberry thing might make a little sense. I have some young mulberry trees that border my property and there was a stump in the adjoining lot that I trimmed down to the ground. I would have gotten about two rounds to split out of that, Maybe this is that wood. I can't remember how long ago I did that.

on the cooffee table? Really? Not married, huh?

JK. It looks an awful lot like pecan, or similar, but I doubt you have pecan trees up there.

Danno77 said:

Danno, believe it or not, most of the wood in the stack I even remember which tree and where the tree is located. But one of the best was a few years ago I cut some oak that was actually on the neighbor's property but was leaning way over onto ours and in the way for something I was doing. It was on a Saturday and I knew he was at his sister's for a birthday party. So I cut the wood (without permission), put it in the trailer and took it to his place. I stacked it nice and neat in his pile of wood. The following winter, I don't recall how the conversation came about, but he was commenting that he had found some wood in his stack that he just knew he didn't cut or at least he couldn't remember doing it. Twas all I could do to not laugh and he does not know to this day how it happened. lol

btw, we're down to less than a cord of the old wood and will be burning some of that stuff I cut in the winter of 2008-2009. Actually, I've burned some of that already. It does not burn as good as the older wood even though it is ash that was either dead or dieing. Hard to believe, but even with that wood being so far gone, we can tell the difference when burning it. We are spoiled. But, a neighbor needed some help with wood for this year. They are good people that just had a bit of bad luck. So, we helped them.

I don't see Mulberry or Hedge wood very often, but I think it is one of those two.

I can usually remember where and when I cut trees down since I primarly burn silver and sugar maple, hickory and elm with a little bit of ash. My favorite pieces to burn are the ones I remember with all the knots that were a pain to split and took a lot of work with wedges, mauls etc. I really relish burning them. Occasionally I will turn a piece back and forth trying to remember what it is or where I got it or even set it aside till I figure it out. Last week I was doing that and my wife asked what I was doing. I told her, she just rolled her eyes and went back to what she was doing(She just doesn't understand). It was about 3 days later when I was at work that I remember I cut down a small crab apple for a woman and that was what I was burning.

Just be glad you're not out at the stacks wondering why you're standing out near the stacks.

in pajamas you don't recognize
and aren't even sure if you should be recognizing them or not

please be wearing something.

I can look at my 9 or so cords and pick out all the different scrounges and where they came from. I don't often recognize individual splits though.

billb3 said:
please be wearing something.
lol, that's a completely different topic of discussion. I frequently traipse through several inches of snow in nothing but snowboots and my underpants. It's only 10 yards outside the door to get a tub of firewood, so it doesn't bother me even in the coldest of temps. As long as it's dark I'm not worried about the neighbors, cause there isn't any light in the back of the house. Have to use an LED headlamp to see.

I can't be the only one who does that.

Danno77 said:
anyway, the point is that I generally remember every scrounge and tree for the season. When you start getting a large collection of wood, does this happen more?

Backwoods Savage said:
a few years ago I cut some oak that was actually on the neighbor's property but was leaning way over onto ours and in the way for something I was doing. It was on a Saturday and I knew he was at his sister's for a birthday party. So I cut the wood (without permission), put it in the trailer and took it to his place. I stacked it nice and neat in his pile of wood. The following winter, I don't recall how the conversation came about, but he was commenting that he had found some wood in his stack that he just knew he didn't cut or at least he couldn't remember doing it. Twas all I could do to not laugh and he does not know to this day how it happened. lol.

Any chance you and Dennis are living next door to each other?? :p

billb3 said:
Just be glad you're not out at the stacks wondering why you're standing out near the stacks.
Oh, man - that has happened just waaaay to many times here. At least I'm not the only one.

’bert said:
Danno77 said:
anyway, the point is that I generally remember every scrounge and tree for the season. When you start getting a large collection of wood, does this happen more?

Backwoods Savage said:
a few years ago I cut some oak that was actually on the neighbor's property but was leaning way over onto ours and in the way for something I was doing. It was on a Saturday and I knew he was at his sister's for a birthday party. So I cut the wood (without permission), put it in the trailer and took it to his place. I stacked it nice and neat in his pile of wood. The following winter, I don't recall how the conversation came about, but he was commenting that he had found some wood in his stack that he just knew he didn't cut or at least he couldn't remember doing it. Twas all I could do to not laugh and he does not know to this day how it happened. lol.

Any chance you and Dennis are living next door to each other?? :p

Naw Bert. I can't even see him using a spotting scope. He is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.