I don't think my P38 is burning properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a long-shot here... Does this stove have a room temp sensor or thermostat?
Maybe it isn't hooked up or is defective and the main control board is seeing a
open curcuit. Maybe just stuck in "maintenance burn" because of an open room temp sensor
circuit.

cantman said:
Just a long-shot here... Does this stove have a room temp sensor or thermostat?
Maybe it isn't hooked up or is defective and the main control board is seeing a
open curcuit. Maybe just stuck in "maintenance burn" because of an open room temp sensor
circuit.

Good idea but the control board doesn't work that way in thermostat mode. If the t stat is hooked up the primary controls still function normally. The t stat just tells the stove to go into turbo mode(high heat high fan) when the t stat closes the circuit. When the t stat ciruit opens the control board just operated where ever the knobs are set. So you could have the stove set on 4 and still use the t stat but the room may be so hot the t stat never closes.

no t-stat on it. The time the auger motor kicks on does change based on the setting. I'm just not getting enough pellets it seems like.

Yea Slink, I think that it might be the draft, or the slide plate that allows pellets down.

I'm a little confused about how that slide plate works... when I see very few pellets in the hopper I never see the slide plate move. If I put more pellets on top of the plate, I hear my pellets clink down in to the auger area (I assume) yet I have no idea how they get down there.. lol I've looked at the schematic and have no clue.. heh.

BRAVO SLINK
thanks for contributing your knowledge.
BTW i see you're affiliated with stoves-n-stuff.
i've purchased 2 harmans from the allentown/emmaus
store, good folks and good service.

ducker said:
no t-stat on it. The time the auger motor kicks on does change based on the setting. I'm just not getting enough pellets it seems like.

Yea Slink, I think that it might be the draft, or the slide plate that allows pellets down.

I'm a little confused about how that slide plate works... when I see very few pellets in the hopper I never see the slide plate move. If I put more pellets on top of the plate, I hear my pellets clink down in to the auger area (I assume) yet I have no idea how they get down there.. lol I've looked at the schematic and have no clue.. heh.

The slide plate moves because there is a cam bearing that opens the feeder arm as the auger rotates. If you remove a lower side shield on the right side as you face it you can look up under the hopper and see a box that has a wingnut holding a cover on. The dealer should have explained that once a year that cover need to be opened and that sawdust fines buildup in there and must be cleaned out so the slide plate can move freely.

By the way I am with Stoves & Stuff not Stoves n Stuff. We are different companies. I have heard good things about the also. Thanks.

slink said:
ducker said:

The slide plate moves because there is a cam bearing that opens the feeder arm as the auger rotates. If you remove a lower side shield on the right side as you face it you can look up under the hopper and see a box that has a wingnut holding a cover on. The dealer should have explained that once a year that cover need to be opened and that sawdust fines buildup in there and must be cleaned out so the slide plate can move freely.

By the way I am with Stoves & Stuff not Stoves n Stuff. We are different companies. I have heard good things about the also. Thanks.

If I look at my Operating Manual, specficially the Feeder Parts section, I see what you're referring to - the wingnut holding a (cast cover assembly). After that is the pusher arm and the slide plate. See, I figured I would be able to actually see the slide plate move while the auger is running.

great info here... thanks a ton!

JPapiPE said:
Yeah P-38 that is a German pistol , made by Walther...same maker of the PPK ,380 that james bond carries...It is a short 9mm and not worth a chit in a confrontation.

JPapiPE said:
Yeah P-38 that is a German pistol , made by Walther...same maker of the PPK ,380 that james bond carries...It is a short 9mm and not worth a chit in a confrontation.

However, it will supply 8 warning shots and a well placed throw. :lol:

MrJitters said:
If you need 8 warning shots you shouldn't be shooting or throwing. Anyone who can't hit the center of a 6" round target (like the bridge of someone's nose) with a single shot shouldn't be shooting - and only one shot would be necessary. You can do it with a 22 for goodness sakes. <sheesh>

(Yes I know there are cops in NYC who can shoot at someone 50 or 60 times and only wound them, but that isn't behavior we should be emulating.)

DiggerJim said:
MrJitters said:
If you need 8 warning shots you shouldn't be shooting or throwing. Anyone who can't hit the center of a 6" round target (like the bridge of someone's nose) with a single shot shouldn't be shooting - and only one shot would be necessary. You can do it with a 22 for goodness sakes. <sheesh>

(Yes I know there are cops in NYC who can shoot at someone 50 or 60 times and only wound them, but that isn't behavior we should be emulating.)

I was kidding. Come on up to Vermont fellow pellet burner. We'll vent some paper at 300 yards with my IHC and LC-68 ammo with iron sights. Now that is fun.

MrJitters said:
I was kidding. Come on up to Vermont fellow pellet burner. We'll vent some paper at 300 yards with my IHC and LC-68 ammo with iron sights. Now that is fun.
If you come down here next month we have a Class III Pumpkin match at our club - 50 cal belt-fed water cooled Browning machine guns can make pie filling in seconds :) We're one of the few clubs in CT that has a Class III program.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=20719417

Ahhh, that old wc Browning. You guys know how to have fun. Those pumpkins don't stand a chance. :) Stop by www.milsurpforum.com and say hey. We love all things Browning over there. Take care. We need to get this thread back on pellets here. ;-)

wooo. so the shop came by today and checked out the stove. It's ironic, all my pondering on whether or not to line my chimney... well turns out that I have too much draft in my chimney, combined with the fact the blower was on the high side. This caused my pellets to burn too fast... as he put it "the pellets looked as if they were jumping out of the pop they were burning so fast."

I haven't test fired it up since he made the modifications, but when I do I'll post some comparison pics.

Thanks again all for the cool feedback.

MrJitters said:
We need to get this thread back on pellets here. ;-)
Ummmm...when a 50 cal round hits a pellet pile it jumps? Or "how many pellets can fit in a 50 caliber shell?" .... How about, "can I use pellets in bags instead of sand to help stabilize my Browning?" :)

I wasn't there but he turned the draft setting on the board down to pretty much as low as it could go I believe, as well as toned down the amount of air in the burn pot.

I didn't get a chance to fire it up yet, but I believe I will be tonight.

Ducker, Please keep us informed, I finally got my Mom's stove lit for the first time and
it did not burn all that well either...I do know that her chimney does draft very well ( maybe too much), I
might have to have someone go there and adjust her draft as well.

Lets see some pics of the "New" burn cycle at different number levels like your previous posts.

Thanks, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.