#$%@#^@, I don't think the insert will fit!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
Help, someone talk me off the bridge! I was cleaning out the fireplace, getting ready for them to install the Lopi Freedom insert, and looked up and noticed that there is 8" of depth between the front of the brick and the opening of the flue. If I read the picture below correctly, it won't fit mounted extended. Am I reading it right?

Help,

Scott

104461.jpg

I have two college degrees, over thirty years of heating with wood and have been to two goat ropings and a world's fair. And for the life of me I can't understand what "there is 8” of depth between the front of the brick and the opening of the flue" means.

I think he is saying that the stove's exhaust vent doesn't line up with the chimney flue.

It would help to have more detailed measurements of the fireplace opening height and of the face to the throat distance to understand the issue.

If you have enough height, a flex liner can bring the liner forward to connect to the top, if you don't have enough height maybe an offset box?

Sorry, I posted in a panic! Let me try to explain a little better the dimensions

The opening is 33 1/4 wide and 22 and 3/8 tall.
The width in the back of teh fire place is 22 1/2.

The depth from the front of the brick to the back of the fireplace is 22 1/4.

Behind the brick is a metal thing, is the best way to describe it, I guess its the top of the fireplace where it changes over to the flue?
The metal thing is 24" from the bottom of the fireplace so an inch and 5/8's above the height of the brick opening. The metal part is like 3 1/4 inches deep leaving 18" from the back of that piece to the back of the fireplace.

Here is looking up from the bottom
Lookingup.jpg

and here is another angle
lookingup2.jpg

Here is looking at it from the front
Front.jpg

If there is anything else that would help explain it let me know and I'll measure.

Scott

Pretty sure that's just your damper? isn't it?
If you are getting a professional installation, they will presumably either ovalize your liner through it or cut the damper. If you have a flex liner they can just bring it through to the position of your stove, or if you have a rigid liner the same thing can be done with an angled section of pipe or whatever...
You doing a full liner?
Is that a prefab fireplace?

OK. Now I am with ya. Is that eight inch measurement to the front edge of the pipe in the fireplace or is it to the center of the pipe?

Two 45 degree elbows should get you there.

BrotherBart said:
OK. Now I am with ya. Is that eight inch measurement to the front edge of the pipe in the fireplace or is it to the center of the pipe?

No the 8" is the distance from the front of the brick to the back edge of the metal thing which is only 2" above the insert right where the pipe will come out of the stove.

If my calculator is working right the liner should come almost dead into the flue collar on the insert in the extended position. Of course it also looks like that pipe isn't big enough for a six inch liner, but I can't see that from this far away.

That metal thing is for opening and closing the damper on the fireplace. It will be coming out. The important measurement is from the front of the bricks to the center of the chimney pipe.

It looks like you have an angle that the brick is sitting on top of spanning the opening. In back of the angle is part of your fireplace. Is it possible to trim part of the fireplace back to allow room for the vent from the insert?

BrotherBart said:
That metal thing is for opening and closing the damper on the fireplace. It will be coming out. The important measurement is from the front of the bricks to the center of the chimney pipe.

No the big metal thing that the damper arm attaches to. The piece that is parallel to the bricks and runs the whole way across the fireplace

Former Farmer said:
It looks like you have an angle that the brick is sitting on top of spanning the opening. In back of the angle is part of your fireplace. Is it possible to trim part of the fireplace back to allow room for the vent from the insert?

That's what I mean I'll have to take a better picture. If I trim it there is nothing between the liner and very close to the studs behind the brick. I will take a better pic after I pick up dinner :)

Raise your right hand and repeat after me. "I am screwed." You only have 7 and 3/4 inches from the front lip of the insert to the center line of the flue collar. No way an elbow is gonna fit in there and fix it in a fireplace that only looks to be 26" or so tall at the front opening.

BrotherBart said:
Raise your right hand and repeat after me. "I am screwed." You only have 7 and 3/4 inches from the front lip of the insert to the center line of the flue collar. No way an elbow is gonna fit in there and fix it in a fireplace that only looks to be 26" or so tall at the front opening.

That's kinda what I was thinking..... Now what? Will an offset box fit? How much heat will I lose by mounting it flush instead of extended?

Here is another pic....

new-pics.jpg

The heat loss with flush vs. sticking out there inserts is highly overrated. With an insert the blower is king. Even with my monster free standing stove half in and half out of the fireplace, when the power goes out, the generator comes on for the blower. The difference is very noticeable. That difference being between a kinda warm house and a warm one. A UPS will do the same job for a long time since the blower doesn't draw but fifty watts or so. With the week long ones though the generator is running anyway. Wife has to have that Directv and the fridge need to be running.

Checking hearth.com is just an add on.

Do not trim your prefab fireplace at all, then you are screwed and they cannot safely put an insert in it.

I hope they did a Level II inspection of your prefab system, and also are insulting the liner. BTW its near impossible to get a 6" insulated liner down a 8" prefab flue. Unless its a straight shot and you use DuraLiner.

jtp10181 said:
Do not trim your prefab fireplace at all, then you are screwed and they cannot safely put an insert in it.

I hope they did a Level II inspection of your prefab system, and also are insulting the liner. BTW its near impossible to get a 6" insulated liner down a 8" prefab flue. Unless its a straight shot and you use DuraLiner.

Very good advice, I hope "they" is not = "Scooter", otherwise, start checking the rivers and bridges in maryland for corpses

madison said:
jtp10181 said:

Very good advice, I hope "they" is not = "Scooter", otherwise, start checking the rivers and bridges in maryland for corpses

Nope, i'm still here. I decided the water was too cold :)

Just ticked at myself for not looking up to make sure there was flue clearance. Now I am in a race to find a Flush mount kit by monday, which is when they "are" coming to install it.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.