1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I dunno it was crazy.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Wildo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine
    I dunno it was crazy. I heard a rumble for 2 seconds looked at the cookstove and a good sized puff of smoke came out of the cooktop and chimney areas like a backpuff does then sucked back in and ignited like an explosion in reverse going in an up the flue it charred the fluffy creosote on the damper grates so they cherried.
    Was this a backpuff a split second before the wood I had put in ignited that ignited the backpuff smoke?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    gee I never experienced that before but have heard about 'back blasts' on the OWB forum.

With them their stoves mostly smolder and over time they can produce an explosive gas that slowly accumulates but needs the oxygen provided by the open door to reach critical mass.

Without knowing more I'm in agreement with your conclusion that the recently added split produced the smoke and O2 necessary for a small flame to run away wild.

I'd chalk it up as a possible consequence in burning in this mild weather...it's not easy.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's good to adapt one's burning routine to match the outside temps. When it's mild outside, run the fire with more air than usual and don't engage the oven bypass damper as early.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    this is a topic i clearly need to do some more reading on.