I feel for you guys.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumber-Jack

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2008
Beautiful British Columbia
I just recently got back into burning wood as a way of heating my house and all that that entails. The last time I was involved with all this there was no internet, so only recently have I started reading stuff online (forums, etc..). Living in beautiful BC (Canada) all my life I really never knew what other people in other areas had to go through collecting and storing firewood. I'm starting to respect the commitment (or is it fanaticism) that some have securing enough wood for themselves. Reading some of the comments I realize that some have to store 2 and 3 years worth of wood ahead of time, just to make sure they have enough (properly) seasoned wood to burn.
When I see stuff like that I have to ask myself if I would bother to heat with wood if I had to do that? What blows me away even more is that some buy all this wood and they have to sit on it for up to 3 years!!! Just the logistics of storing that much wood would be impractical for me given my present situation living in a city sized lot and yet some of these guys are burning 7 or 8 cords a year,,, WOW!
When I compare that to my system of collecting 3-4 cords of free, naturally seasoned wood in the summer and burning most, if not all, of it by spring it sure makes me realize some of these guys must go through an awful lot more work (and expense).
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy collecting firewood out in the bush, but if I had to store 18 cords worth at a time I think the fun aspect of it would quickly fade, especially if I had to pay for it.

To all you guys with that kind of commitment, I salute you.

wood-split.jpg
salute.gif

Carbon, there are some who go through an awful lot that they don't need to go through for sure. There is a learning curve. As for the work, if you'd have done this all your life, it would just be a natural thing. However, if done right it does not need to be that much work!

As for storing wood three years, very few do that, but they would be much better off if they did. Two years minimum.

That said, we have about a 7 year supply on hand with just what we cut this winter to be split and stacked. The rest has been split and stacked for some time and is covered only with old steel roofing. You and some others might wonder why we have that much wood on hand. Good question with some good answers hopefully.

First, my wife and I are not as young as we once were and knowing how injuries or illness can come onto one unexpectedly (especially at our age), now we know that if something happens so that I could not cut wood for a winter or two (as has happened in the past), there is no worries. We have the wood on hand. It's like money in the bank. Yes, we have many friends, relatives and neighbors who would gladly come in and cut all of our wood for us and they have offered many times. But why depend on them if I can do it myself? So, we cut way ahead of time, not just for the seasoning of the wood, but just putting something in the bank.

Reason # 2: Thanks to our Asian "friends," we are now blessed with the emerald ash borer. That really hurts because we had, and have, some beautiful ash trees. But, every one of them are dying. I'll make a bet that you know exactly what we are cutting for firewood. And I figure at least 3 more years and possibly more to finish cutting all of them. And yes, we have made some into lumber but the rest goes for firewood.

Reason # 3: Occasionally a local family has some bad luck. Occasionally we help them out by giving them firewood...but only if there is a need. One exception is a nearby neighbor who I give firewood every year. In return I get many things including fertilizer, apples and pears in the fall and help whenever I need it.

Now along with the above, it is really nice putting well seasoned wood into the stove and having the stove operate the way it was designed to operate. When I read the headaches others have, and most of it because of poorly seasoned wood, I just sometimes shake my head. Then I look at our wood pile and smile, a big wide grin. It is a good feeling knowing I have that much fuel on hand.

btw, at one time we just figured on one week per year to gather all the wood we needed for a year. Is that too much trouble? I think not. And look at the exercise some of these folks are getting. They will be healthier for it.

Oh. One more point. We have over 20 cords split and stacked. You said, "...if I had to store 18 cords worth at a time I think the fun aspect of it would quickly fade..." I still love working in the woods; the cutting, splitting and stacking, but especially the warm home and it isn't costing me a bundle to keep warm....even if the power goes out.

ya- getting free wood when you can means boom and bust cycles. If you insist on burning many hard woods (read "oak"), then it takes a couple years. We could burn pine here and collect it in the spring, but overnight burns at sub-zero... it's nice to have the dense stuff.

Hey- I like collecting wood, and have the space for it. It's nice when your hobby and exercise regime gets you ahead on home heating :)

I just like splitting and stacking wood leisurely. I don't heat with it but I like it so much I find myself just cleaning and tending my pile of wood. I think most people are like me in that they just like the look of the big pile. I enjoy finding and storing it as much as I can. I think its more of an obsession to have as much wood as possible because its free and it cleans up the yard or helps someone else out when they give you the wood to take and split.

Its a good thing I feel.

It keeps me in shape for kayak season!(30-40 cords a year and burn 10-12) wish I still lived in P.A.

Dennis
Thanks for the thought out reply. You have some excellent reasons for keeping so much wood on hand, especially the one about helping out a family that may be in need. You get extra credits for that one. Glad to know even after storing up 20 cords you are still enjoying yourself.
Is all that Ash on your own property? Or do you have to drive to get it? I bet you are glad you don't have to pay for it ;)

Adios said "Hey- I like collecting wood, and have the space for it. It’s nice when your hobby and exercise regime gets you ahead on home heating "
I hear you. It is good outdoor family exercise for sure, also I really like that the whole family is helping out with the heating bill. My oldest son started to learn how to handle the chainsaw last fall.
I would probably try and keep more on hand too if I had the space. However getting oak just ain't gona happen around here, maybe some maple or fruit wood, but even those kinds of wood just don't come up very often, and if they do it's usually green which means I would have to find some place to store it for a couple years,,,.

NoPaint, what do you do with the wood if you don't heat with it? Sell it?

just let me say I like that name...Carbon_Liberator

ahhhhhh, firewood
burns the arm
when nary meant no harm
stacked miles high
gives a guy
fire to warm his toesies by
piles and piles
all about
makes some company
point and shout
ahhhh but please
do not fret
my stacks are fine
and dry you bet

I think a nice stack of firewood gives one a sense of security.
I'll have at least two seasons worth this year and hope to double it the year after that.

If I lived in BC I'd be takin a few last runs at Whistler this afternoon and slippin into the hot tub with _____ and maybe ______ instead of collectin' 10 Full cord of wood just to heat my house, and instead of sitin huddled in front of the 'puter yammerin at people on the right coast.

What's yer excuse?? :coolsmirk:

Hey Dennis - thanks for typing that. My fingers would have gotten real tired. ;-P

3 years ahead, cut, split and stacked under roof.
2 more waiting for the same fate sitting in the back part of the yard. And boy do I have yard, so storage is a non-issue.

I'm getting tired.
I got hay fields getting tired.
I'm thinking about rotating some corn.
I'm thinking about corn stoves. :)

Carbon_Liberator said:
NoPaint, what do you do with the wood if you don't heat with it? Sell it?

What I should say is that I burn it but not as a primary source of heat like many on here. I burn it more to heat a room than the whole house. I was just saying that about my burning because I didn't want anyone to think I am a pro or a big burner but I still enjoy splitting wood and stacking. I don't sell any of it!

It's mild enough here that doug fir or big leaf maple is enough most of the time, and I'm not generally more than a year ahead on my scrounging, but I'm sure as hell glad I had some seasoned oak this winter. When we got hit with the longest, hardest cold snap in 40 years, I went all oak, all the time. I will not hesitate to grab it up if it's free and wait 2 years to burn it.
If it's free. :)

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
If I lived in BC I'd be takin a few last runs at Whistler this afternoon and slippin into the hot tub with _____ and maybe ______ instead of collectin' 10 Full cord of wood just to heat my house, and instead of sitin huddled in front of the 'puter yammerin at people on the right coast.

What's yer excuse?? :coolsmirk:
I 'm not much of a skier, but I sure could use a long soak in a hot tub. I put my back out a couple days ago and my mobility is pretty limited right now, so that's my excuse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.