I feel like a crack addict!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I have around 20 cords of oak (and some beech) on hand and I can't stop looking for more. The last thing in the world I need is to spend more time 'getting wood' or 'playing with my wood'... but I can't stop. :cheese:

I'm not quite ready to admit I have a major addiction/problem, but it's getting close. Anyone else feel like an addict thinking about burning and processing wood in the middle of summer when they have a million other things they could and should be doing? :)

Ummm, have you read my post :lol:

Just here say unless you have Pic's!

OMG! dunno what took you people so long to come to grips with the truth!!
you a crack addict!!!
you like the sound of wood cracking when you split it ... hence-----wood crack addict
nice to meet to you i am one too!!!!!

I rarely ever think about it in the summer months except to smile every time I pass the wood piles. I'll do the gathering in the winter months, thank you. No bugs then either.

As I find myself getting close to the point where I will have put up as much wood as I told my wife we needed to put up for the year I dread her noticing and saying it is time to quit. Yep, I"m addicted to the whole process... from the hunt for free wood to the joy of looking at it stacked up each day. Oh well, I tell myself she may appreciate it come winter :)

Backwoods Savage said:
I rarely ever think about it in the summer months except to smile every time I pass the wood piles. I'll do the gathering in the winter months, thank you. No bugs then either.
+1 keeping all jobs til late sept. "The gas company droping off 3 monster ash trees in the next 2 weeks Kind of funny really"

Wonder if there are any wood/crack addicts anonymous meetings out there? Probably should be an ala-wood meeting for family and friends of wood addicts. :)

Nothing like a fresh cup of coffee at dawn and walking out and admiring the stacks. Well, maybe except for parking in a lawn chair with an adult beverage in the evening and admiring them. Or looking out the bedroom window at them before you go to bed. Or...

And then comes that twinge when you notice them start to shrink during the first month of burning. And the little "are we gonna make it" attack in late February.

Nah, it ain't an addiction. Honest. It's not. We can quit any time we want to. :lol:

The number one reason I hang out around you guys is that you make me realize I am not the only one who acts this way with firewood. Hard to imagine other folks enjoying checking on their stacks, excited when bad weather comes along to knock down trees or seeing wood laying by a road and delaying a family event just to turn around and ask permission to take more free wood.

LOL!!! Its a sickness for me Just the sound of a chainsaw and I'm like were is that coming from is there wood can I get it....... I have an older neighbor who burns and we team up a lot on scrounging missions but when ever I make a score myself I do a drive by and stop at his place to show off the load he says he gets wood envy...LOL!! we have a lot of fun to me it is like a escape from reality ....Any way I would use a different way to describe our addiction then referring to it as a drug problem how about Woodafelia or Obsessive Compulsive Firewood Disease any one else agree?

Any way you slice it we are Woodaholics. Or Warmaholics.

It's gets addictive when you think of all the money you save. And if you used to burning seasoned wood only ...that's motivation enough to be a couple 3 seasons ahead.

Being from the computer industry, everything is an acronym. So I suggest:

W - Wood
H - Humping
O - Ogre
R - Relishing
E - Energy

W.H.O.R.E.

My name is James and I have OCFD!

Thats a good one Jags!!!

Ya could have worse addictions. Just think of it as stacking money!

BrotherBart said:
Nothing like a fresh cup of coffee at dawn and walking out and admiring the stacks. Well, maybe except for parking in a lawn chair with an adult beverage in the evening and admiring them. Or looking out the bedroom window at them before you go to bed. Or...

And then comes that twinge when you notice them start to shrink during the first month of burning. And the little "are we gonna make it" attack in late February.

Nah, it ain't an addiction. Honest. It's not. We can quit any time we want to. :lol:

BB - I am with you. Its a daily occurence for me. Do you guys get ribbed by your non-wood burning friends?

joshlaugh said:
The number one reason I hang out around you guys is that you make me realize I am not the only one who acts this way with firewood. Hard to imagine other folks enjoying checking on their stacks, excited when bad weather comes along to knock down trees or seeing wood laying by a road and delaying a family event just to turn around and ask permission to take more free wood.

Its sooo true. My Domestic Manager (read wife) gets embarassed of me and my additiction... that is until it hits -10F and then she goes and looks at the stacks too!

Woodsman_WI said:
BrotherBart said:

BB - I am with you. Its a daily occurence for me. Do you guys get ribbed by your non-wood burning friends?

Yes, pretty much everyone makes fun of the fact that you can't park in my driveway during certain times of the year due to the amount of wood that I have cut and is waiting to be stacked. Or how I am always talking about chainsaws and looking for downed trees. Although those SAME people are pushing each other out of the way in the winter to stand in front of my wood stove to warm up when they come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.