I Feel Like Wonder Woman ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Bracelets and all :cool:

The Dixette and a buddy cleaned the chimneys Sunday, and I left the buddy at the base of the PE to reinstall the baffle, after I showed him how to remove the pin and drop it, figured the reinstall would be easy peasey. Didn't check it after he did the reinstall, and just went about my business of starting a fire that night.

Fast forward to last night, and I tossed a few splits into the fire box on left over coals, and it started climbing up in temps as usual. Put another split in ( not to gently, I admit), and heard a weird clang. Looked into the fire box, and the baffle was dangling on the right side. I'll just say I didn't get alot of sleep last night, and woke up to a cold house !!!

Tonight I got home, and and peered inside. Sure enough the baffle was not put back in right. The baffle "clip" at the back was askew, the pin was in the hole, but not secured through the "clip" ( hope I'm explaining it correctly).

Took me a few tries, but I managed to wrestle the baffle back into place, and secure the pin correctly. I wondered why after getting the chimney cleaned the PE wasn't throwing it's usual awesome heat, and the secondaries were off :rolleyes:

Lesson learned. Baffle is fine, I hope I can get the sweater clean that I was wearing during the reinstall, and house is slowly climbing back up to comfy temps (came back to a temp of 55F, now up to 72F) and I have a bit to go before the nightly reload :mad:

A woman's work is never done :eek:

Last edited:
Damned baffle is heavier than you think, and awkward to lift when you can't see what you are doing at ground level :mad:

Reactions: jatoxico
Reminds me of when I was heating my office in the basement with the little Jotul F100. Cleaned the pipe and took out the cast iron baffle to clean on top of it and re-installed all. That night I loaded it to have as warm an office as possible since it would only burn for four hours. The next morning I went down and the place was warmer than usual. Opened the stove door and there the baffle lay. Flat on top of the coals. I blew it re-hanging the baffle and it had fallen on top of the load. I invented the Jotul Griddle. ;em

Reactions: firefighterjake
Getting that pin in right can be a pain. There's a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet. And the baffle is surprisingly heavy. This is all sounding very familiar... [emoji4]

Getting that pin in right can be a pain. There's a trick to it that I haven't figured out yet. And the baffle is surprisingly heavy. This is all sounding very familiar... [emoji4]

The baffle has to sit right on the rails, and the rails have "give", most frustrating !!

After a few attempts, when I finally had the baffle sitting on the rails, I realized I had to shift it to the right, and lift & push back. Got it done, and both holes lined up. The pin slides in with the crooked part going in first ( that part was easy to figure out), and then it turns & locks in.

Just reloaded at 400F, and the house at 72F. with 25F outside. *Correction, emptied the dryer and came back to the stove, shut down 1/2 way & up to 74F*) Just about ready to bank to down on 5 splits, a mix of oak & maple on a hot bed of coals.

Glad I'm not cooking tomorrow ;)

Damned baffle is heavier than you think, and awkward to lift when you can't see what you are doing at ground level :mad:
Boy do I know that feeling, like fiddling with heavy weights with your arm extended.The baffles in the Jotul are heavy cast pieces. The tubes and all have to drop together pretty much at same time and it's all has to be done by feel. Worst part of cleaning the flue.

God job diagnosing and buttoning it back up, not easy sometimes.

Next time you need to have those Wonder Woman bracelets on. They not only deflect bullets but flames and heat. >>

Good job cowgirl.

Reactions: Dix
76F, cruising at 700F (It's PE's comfort zone), and this cow girl is hitting the hay to snuggle with the Murph.

Will report back in the AM.

:)

One day I checked the flue in the 30 like I always do by lifting one of the baffle boards and sliding it on top of the other one so I could use a mirror and flashlight to look up the pipe. That night I loaded it up and put a Super Cedar under the middle of the load. A while later things were definitely not looking right. "Oh chit!". Opened the door and I hadn't put the other half of the baffle back in place. ;em

Welding gloves are not all that they are cracked up to be.

All systems are go. Decent coal bed to fire off tis morning, like normal :)

I thought about attempting the gloves to put it back in, but decided that wasn't a good idea. Now I'm really glad I didn't.

No- the gloves are overrated. I forgot to pin in one of my reburn tubes once, and it wound up hanging. Glove on, and was repositioning the tube when the pain came - and the hot glove made sure the pain stayed a while!

Hi Dix!
Gabe

Reactions: Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.