I finally did it!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Yes after nearly two months of "down right" disgustingly warm fall weather here in CT, I finally fired up the coal stove! Who would've thought it would take to Dec 2 to need it! Used the wood stove about 4 or 5 times in the last two months, but looks like it finally might be staying cooler for a little while now. Oh, it does feel nice to be burning coal again. The "rotten egg" smell when I go outside, the sulphur smell when I open the door to empty the ash pan! Ahhh.. Could it get any better? (guess you have to be a coal burner to appreciate) Best of all is watching those dancing blue flames! Might even turn on the pilot to the gas stove in our bedroom tonight.

Big Eric said:
I've been thinking about burning some coal, but you're turning me away from that idea. I happen to love the smell of burning wood, but rotten eggs? All I need to do is feed my wife beans to get that around here. :)

LOL. The eggs arent as bad as the gas! No seriously, the rotten egg smell is only occasionally, and not inside the house, but outside. Sometimes when the fire isnt burning hot, you will be outside and get a downdraft that smells a little "ripe" :)

We get that at low tide sometimes too. Can be very "ripe" just south of the Seattle ferry terminal at times.

Yeah, we also put our first load of coal in the Corie I.

Got about 18 hours with outside temp averaging 35 degrees and inside was 71 upstairs, 76 downstairs. Needless to say, I was happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.