I finally finished working up the big hickory tree!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking for tips on splitting fresh cut hickory. This hickory was over 20 inches in diameter and 200 feet from the road up a steep hillside. I had to split the big rounds in the woods since they were too heavy to move down the hill in one piece. Also, I wouldn't have been able to lift them into the trailer on my garden tractor. I ended up developing a labor intensive system that involved cutting a slot across the end of the rounds about the depth of my chainsaw bar. Then I used two steel wedges and a sledge hammer near the edge of the log to open a crack as wide as my wedges. Next, I hammered two plastic wedges in the middle just deep enough to free my steel wedges. Finally, I used my chainsaw to work into the crack below the wedges and cut the round in half.

Back at the house I used a variety of methods to split the wood. The 7 ton electric splitter could do some nibbling around the edges to pare the rounds down, but many of the big rounds (half rounds) needed noodling. I ended up spending about 50 hours working up the tree and got just shy of two cords of wood. Here are a few photos.
IMG_0209.JPG

This row is 12 feet long and 8 feet tall.

IMG_0211.JPG

The second row in the back is about four feet tall.

IMG_0214.JPG

And here is the workhorse that gets the wood back to the house. It has a 23 hp Kohler engine that pulls extremely strong. I load the trailer full, which is between 500 lbs. - 750 lbs. depending on the wood. I then pull it up a very steep driveway that is 150 yards long.

I hope I never again have to process a freshly fallen hickory tree. It was the hardest harvest I've done in the 30 years I've been working up firewood. The good news is the oak I'm working on now is slicing through butter with a hot knife after the hickory experience!

Wheel weights on a lawn mower..........awesome!

Nice stacks. In the coming years when burning you will think that it wasn't that bad. Plus you will love the heat. It's always worth it for rewards like that.

Very nice and you will like the heat...

I have basically the same firewood machine. Husqvarna china made rebadged so far bullet proof other then popping off the drive belt. I taKE MY deck off for winter forest duty.

Yes, I usually split bigger, but that hickory was so tough and stringy my 7 ton electric splitter could only nibble around the edges of the big rounds. My Fiskars literally bounced off the rounds when I tried splitting with it. Fortunately, I'm finished with the hickory and am busy working up some oak. I brought down a fair size oak today (18" diameter) and got it hung up in another tree. I had a tight window for dropping it, maybe 20 feet wide. The tree was leaning in the general direction I wanted it to fall, but perhaps 10 degrees too far to the left. I hoped I could control the drop better, but it got hung up. It took me all day to finally wrestle it to the ground with a come along and taking sections off from the bottom. I'm thankful I finally got it down without getting injured.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.