I finally got an insert! woo-hoo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
I finally got an insert! woo-hoo! What a battle but we can chaulk one up for the good guys.
Regency I1200 we had to extend the hearth with limestone and brick.
This is a long story and I'll post it later with pics. You'll laugh you'll cry it's a doosy.

so we had a power surge in august and it shot everything, oil boiler included. when we started to investigate the chimney venting options we found a huge hole connecting the 2 flues, which was created by oil soot. We had to use all gas for our boiler as hot water was gas already. We put in an aluminum liner after that went in our old chimney guy said " I wouldn't light a big fire in that fireplace, you'll melt the aluminum liner. So now in addition to all new appliances, new boiler and liner I have to reline my chimney just to have a fire. So I found a guy who is a regency factory authorized installer who is becoming an authorized dealer who did my steel liner Regency I1200 and new masonary hearth for a song. I am thrilled with the unit and the price. hopefully I did the pic right. Gas boiler is not in yet and the house was toasty last night.

How do I clean the soot off the brick above the faceplate?

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 265
I used a scrub brush and easy off oven cleaner. Once or twice and it was good. Congrats no your stove and welcome to hearth.

thanks, I was hoping for a less toxic resolution.

schwaggly said:
thanks, I was hoping for a less toxic resolution.

TSP and warm water with a scrub brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.