I Finally Jumped In...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
...to the Stihl pool. After using my Craftsman on and off for 10 years, it was getting hard to start and rough running (replaced plug, filters, magneto, and sprocket). Next up would have been the carburetor, but I decided I'd get something more reliable and then use the Craftsman as a backup.

Got the MS250 with 18-inch bar yesterday. I waited until today to crank it up, to make sure it was cold. I pulled the rope once on full choke, then went to half choke and pulled again, even though I didn't hear any pop at full choke. It started at once. Two pulls. I'm a happy camper.

Now I need to get to the cabin, so I can see if it will actually cut wood!

Reactions: quads and smokinj
I've been a long-time Stihl user. I will say this, you will get happiness out of using ANY good chainsaw (or other OPE for that matter) over the cheaper stuff. Be it Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc......but the pro saws are definately the way to go. More money, but you definately see the difference.

Reactions: HittinSteel
The Craftsman was my first-ever chainsaw when I moved to Colorado. Didn't know if I'd be able to use one without killing myself, since I'd never even touched a running chainsaw. It has served me well and I'm sure it'll do fine after a little carburetor work, but you're right, I'm ready to move onward and upward. For $150, though, the Craftsman (made by Poulan) was the right saw at the time.

Reactions: ScotO
you will love the saw I bet. I saw an ms 250 on CL yesterday for 100 bucks. looked good. Gone today.
I didn't need it but it was a good price for the shape it was in.

I really like my MS280.

Reactions: ScotO
MS250 is my absolute favorite homeowner saw. 10.1lbs/45cc and all muscle. Simple beast too. Congrats on the new family member and may it serve you well far into the future. Best saw available for $300. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.