I FINALLY SOLD IT.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
After months of advertising I finally sold the underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.It just could not handle my old drafty house.I've been in this home for fifty years and the only stoves that work for us were the old coal burners and then the soapstones.I'm going back to the soapstone and am awaiting a new Woodstock Fireview,Whew.

What'ya get for it?

BrotherBart said:
What'ya get for it?
Hey BrotherBart,I got my asking price of $1000.00

Rich L said:
After months of advertising I finally sold the underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.It just could not handle my old drafty house.I've been in this home for fifty years and the only stoves that work for us were the old coal burners and then the soapstones.I'm going back to the soapstone and am awaiting a new Woodstock Fireview,Whew.

Did you order your Fireview when they where on sale about 6 weeks ago? Free shipping and $500 off.

I'm not following the math here. I can see going to a larger stove or better yet, fixing the leaks and insulating, but the numbers don't add up. Don't get me wrong, the Fireview is a beautiful stove. But how is a 55,000 peak btu, 2 cu ft stove expected to outperform a 97,000btu peak, 3 cu ft. stove? Burn times may be equal or who knows maybe the Fireview is better, but one can only wring so much heat out of a cu ft of wood.

Wow, I don't own one but I thought the PE Summit was a top performer. What does it sell for new, $2,500.00 ?

I'm thinking the same as BG.
You should have gone for the Equinox.
Me thinks someone is going to learn a lesson the hard way.
Whats your asking price for the Fireview going to be? ;)

Rich L said:
underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.

Run, Run While You Can. The Summit Cult will be coming, and their gonna be mad. You will recognize them from the whore house red cloaks, and the hickory handles in their hands. :coolsmirk:

Really though, the summit is a bigger fire box, bigger btu stove than the one you are going to. I agree that you may not be stepping up in heating ability of your new stove. The only way the math is gonna work, is if you run the new stove much hotter than the summit.

Edit: Hogz - you get that 30 bolted in place yet? I am really looking forward to a real world comparison of the summit and the 30.

OH OH, the mighty Summit is taking a hit! :lol: Maybe it's a radiant vs convection thingy since he has a drafty house? Sounds like you had a soapstone before and it worked better? If the Fireview doesn't work at least it's got the 6 month money back guarantee so you can send it back. Please let us know how it works out.

I'd like to know why Rich got away from burning coal? If I didn't have all this free wood I'd be burning coal.

What type of coal burners and soap stones did you have before, and why do you not have them now. I thought soap stones lasted forever.

As the owner of a big old drafty house and a Summit stove, I'm really bewildered. The Summit puts out a lot of heat. I would think that anybody that cant get the house warm with one, either needs a smaller house or two stoves.

Just say'en I have a drafty old house too...replaced the windows last year when you could see the curtains blow...but I never had a hard time heating this house. btw I burn hot and I don';t care how much wood it takes...I must keep the wife warm or there's trouble in River City.

After a little research I found he has a Mansfiled in the basement and use to have a Woodstock Classic where the Summit was on the main floor. Claimed it heated better than the Summit. I thought he still had the Classic and was going to swap them back. Is this right Rich?

Jags said:
Rich L said:
underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.

Run, Run While You Can. The Summit Cult will be coming, and their gonna be mad. You will recognize them from the whore house red cloaks, and the hickory handles in their hands. :coolsmirk:

Really though, the summit is a bigger fire box, bigger btu stove than the one you are going to. I agree that you may not be stepping up in heating ability of your new stove. The only way the math is gonna work, is if you run the new stove much hotter than the summit.

Edit: Hogz - you get that 30 bolted in place yet? I am really looking forward to a real world comparison of the summit and the 30.

Not yet, its sitting in the addition waiting on me to git it finished. Got all the tongue and groove up in the office & bedroom, and installed the 2 ducts each having a fantech fan in them to circulate the heat from office to bedroom and back again. Took photos, but............... my step daughter used up the alloted internet satellite bandwidth and my ISP has hosed me down to below dial up until the usage drops below 70%. So it will be a while before I can upload anything.;(

pinewoodburner said:
Rich L said:

Did you order your Fireview when they where on sale about 6 weeks ago? Free shipping and $500 off.
Unfortunately I sold the Summit after the sale whose monies went towards the Fireview purchase.

BeGreen said:
I'm not following the math here. I can see going to a larger stove or better yet, fixing the leaks and insulating, but the numbers don't add up. Don't get me wrong, the Fireview is a beautiful stove. But how is a 55,000 peak btu, 2 cu ft stove expected to outperform a 97,000btu peak, 3 cu ft. stove? Burn times may be equal or who knows maybe the Fireview is better, but one can only wring so much heat out of a cu ft of wood.
BeGreen I'm still puzzled as to why the Summit didn't perform better in my situation when I've had so called less powerful stoves perform better.I've been living in this house since I was ten and it was my job at twelve to tend the wood stoves,I'm now sixty and happily still tending the stoves.Our first stove was an old coal/wood burner which produced more heat than the Summit though it was much smaller.When the coal stove expired we tried a performer z which didn't perform we then went to an old hearthstone II which did the job of heating the enclosed porch and the second and third floors.When the hearthstone expired I went for the Summit which was a major disappointment even though the stats were very encouraging regarding BTU's,firebox size and burn times.I've used the woodstock classic in my cellar which is more draftier than my enclosed porch and kept the cellar quite toasty a sweat box really which tells me the fireview should do the job on my porch.I also went with the fireview since my wife loves to see the fire.Now I realize that stats are cool but hands on experience is better.

Jerry_NJ said:
Wow, I don't own one but I thought the PE Summit was a top performer. What does it sell for new, $2,500.00 ?
Yo Jerry,I bought my Summit for just under $1800.00.

Hogwildz said:
I'm thinking the same as BG.
You should have gone for the Equinox.
Me thinks someone is going to learn a lesson the hard way.
Whats your asking price for the Fireview going to be? ;)
Well Hogwildz,we'll have to wait and see.I'll update you this winter.

Todd said:
OH OH, the mighty Summit is taking a hit! :lol: Maybe it's a radiant vs convection thingy since he has a drafty house? Sounds like you had a soapstone before and it worked better? If the Fireview doesn't work at least it's got the 6 month money back guarantee so you can send it back. Please let us know how it works out.
Hi Todd.I think you see the light.There's something about Steel stoves not working for me and soapstones getting the job done in my drafty old house.The fella who bought the summit was a young husband with two children and a wife.He says his house is three years old and well insulated.I pray the summit can work for him.I'm beginning to think that certain stoves perform better in insulated homes than they do in drafty homes and other stoves like the soapstones perform well in drafty and insulated homes.That would be an interesting study for the inquiring mind.

savageactor7 said:
I'd like to know why Rich got away from burning coal? If I didn't have all this free wood I'd be burning coal.
Hi savageactor7,I liked burning with coal.Our first three stoves were wood/coal stoves.After the Hearthstone II I was looking at the Baker wood/coal stoves out of York,Penn.however I wasn't able to get enough info on the specs. so instead of the hassle I went with the soapstone.

Well OK...now I know. Thanks for the update Rich.

I'm thinking if I'm still alive in another 10 years about switching over to coal. Our only requirement is a parlor stove with some sort of glass window that we can see the fire with. I know it gets hot enough cause one of my additional duties in the Army was firing those coal babies up.

This guy I know gets a load of coal dumped on an old garage pad...it gets rain on snowed over...he doesn't even cover it, he fills up a 5 gal bucket of coal...and he heats his house for the day. Last time I talked to him he was only paying less than 400 a year. Sure it's not pleasant to look at but it's easier than wood imo...thing is I have to convince the wife she'd like it.

karl said:
What type of coal burners and soap stones did you have before, and why do you not have them now. I thought soap stones lasted forever.

As the owner of a big old drafty house and a Summit stove, I'm really bewildered. The Summit puts out a lot of heat. I would think that anybody that cant get the house warm with one, either needs a smaller house or two stoves.
Hi Karl,my first stove was an old antinque coal/wood burner.I can't recall the name.The second was a performer z wood/coal stove that I couldn't get to draft properly after that It was a HeartstoneII wood/coal stove that was great when burning wood or coal.Of course the coal gave longer burn times and heat though the wood did a very good job of heating also.I'm stumped as to why my summit didn't heat my space well.Every home has it's own peculiarities when it comes to heating them.Also West Virginia may be easier to heat a drafty home than it is to heat a drafty home inMassachusetts.

Rich L said:
BeGreen said:
BeGreen I'm still puzzled as to why the Summit didn't perform better in my situation when I've had so called less powerful stoves perform better.I've been living in this house since I was ten and it was my job at twelve to tend the wood stoves,I'm now sixty and happily still tending the stoves.Our first stove was an old coal/wood burner which produced more heat than the Summit though it was much smaller.When the coal stove expired we tried a performer z which didn't perform we then went to an old hearthstone II which did the job of heating the enclosed porch and the second and third floors.When the hearthstone expired I went for the Summit which was a major disappointment even though the stats were very encouraging regarding BTU's,firebox size and burn times.I've used the woodstock classic in my cellar which is more draftier than my enclosed porch and kept the cellar quite toasty a sweat box really which tells me the fireview should do the job on my porch.I also went with the fireview since my wife loves to see the fire.Now I realize that stats are cool but hands on experience is better.

Well, WAF counts for a lot. Something sounds like it was amok. What were the max stovetop temps you were seeing with the Summit?

I remember when the F3CB could not get it up to a decent temperature and thought the stove was a loser. It turned out to be the top was not on square and it was leaking air. After that was fixed it was a whole lot better stove and put out a lot more heat. This sounds similar.

Rich, thank for the price update. While I have new Quadrafire Insert, I have and continue to look with interest at the PE line. And, their web site, the one I've found, doesn't give any price information I do see the Fireview runs over $3K with shipping (estimate $200) and taxes, 7% in NJ. So it is a pricey item, but may be worth it. As you can see from my "signature" I have a combined wood/coal stove in my basement. It is a utilitarian only device, a protective enclosure to keep small hands off the hot stove, which is a simple brick lined sheet metal construct, stainless I think. I think I paid unde $400 for it about 15 years ago. It hasn't seen any coal in four of five years, but it did a good job on Pennsylvanian Anthracite when I was in to using it for general heat assist for an air-to-air heat pump. I then installed a geothermal heat pump and have cut way back on wood and no coal at all. There's a lot to like with coal, including buying on certified scales, no getting shorted by the firewood guy who delivers a short cord and bills for a full one.

Todd said:
After a little research I found he has a Mansfiled in the basement and use to have a Woodstock Classic where the Summit was on the main floor. Claimed it heated better than the Summit. I thought he still had the Classic and was going to swap them back. Is this right Rich?
Oh Todd for clarity I had the Classic in the cellar and replaced it with the Mansfield which is more powerful.I replaced the Hearthstone II with the Summit.

Status
Not open for further replies.