I fired up the St Croix Greenfield today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
A couple months ago I bought a used 2007 model St Croix Greenfield corn stove... with a pellet burn pot included. Never had a chance to mess with it until today.

I pulled the fans to clean 'em... burning that corn (as the original owner did) sure does make a crusty mess. I can see the additional corrosion that corn brings to the table. One thing I also noticed is this stove is built with much heavier gauge steel in the firebox and some other areas. Where my other St Croix stove is sheet metal this is 1/8 sheet stock.

So I cleaned the fans (pretty clean actually!) and rodded out the area behind the firebox... worked good and the stove wasn't too dirty. Changed the combustion fan gasket and the gasket that is on the exhaust adaptor.

Then I switched to the pellet burn pot, poured in a few pounds of pellets and fired it up on my coaster wagon work stand... I really have zero experience with a digital control as my older pepein is al analog. After several minutes the fire finally got going a little but I am not sure I have the correct burn pot in the stove. St Croix has a good website but give precious little info on switching from corn to pellets.

The stove did burn for about one hour... it is very quiet compared to my oler stove but it does not hve a variable speed fan... something that's nice to have.

Yeah I know you want pix... stay tuned.

I tried to burn corn in my old stove but I guess i should have used regular corn instead of the creamed variety... after the label burned off of the can the fire went out.

krooser said:
I tried to burn corn in my old stove but I guess i should have used regular corn instead of the creamed variety... after the label burned off of the can the fire went out.

You dummy....you're supposed to OPEN the can first!!! ;-P

Oops!!!

Kroosers "new" pellet stove. This baby has ALL the options....tornado air turbulator, fuel atomizer spacer......it's a beast!

Attachments

• article-page-main-ehow-images-a06-tk-29-heat-home-wood-stove-800x800.jpg
    article-page-main-ehow-images-a06-tk-29-heat-home-wood-stove-800x800.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 421
And here's his newest purchase....this one's in his basement already:

Attachments

• NorthernBensonCountystove.jpg
    NorthernBensonCountystove.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 755
This should work....right?

Attachments

• canned corn.jpg
    canned corn.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 369
imacman said:
Kroosers "new" pellet stove. This baby has ALL the options....tornado air turbulator, fuel atomizer spacer......it's a beast!

Hey that looks like it has the supper Pook modification, to allow direct airflow from the fire for faster heating and a better smoke aroma.

Creamed corn does not require a corn pot. A pellet pot will do.

Seriously the difference between the corn pot and the pellet pot, is that the corn pot has wings. The wings are too keep the corn from bouncing out of the pot. A little better air flow for burning pellets in the pellet pot without wings.

Not sure if the winged pot will keep popcorn in.

krooser said:

Hey!! Don't you listen???? I said the cans have to be OPENED first before sitting them in the hopper. :mad:

IronFire said:
imacman said:
krooser said:

Hey!! Don't you listen???? I said the cans have to be OPENED first before sitting them in the hopper. :mad:

Do you just set the opened cans in the hopper? Or do you pour them in the hopper? How many pounds of creamed corn will the hopper hold?

Brad

What is the volume of your house krooser and is the house creamed corn tight?

Now I'M confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.