I forget how to wire my pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
standard 007 taco, I need to control it with a non powered thermostat(24V?). cant remember what I need- my other pump is a zone pump so it was easy...

Taco Single zone switch relay SR-501. $50 at Home Depot

I like the switching relays for that job. The Taco is a nice one, all enclosed. Indicator lights and just enough transformer to do the job. I like the ice cube style relay as it is all sealed and replaceable. Wiring is very simple. Honeywell, Argo, and White Rogers also build them.

A fan center is 1/2 the cost, it will have a larger transformer that you need, and you will need a box to mount it on. No indicator lights and the low voltage wiring is exposed.

Here is a look at the choices.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 367
we use both- depends on the application and who's buying. For single pump or similar the fan center for multiple zones the taco.

Sorry to go off topic but what terminals with the Taco panels do you use to have a primary pump run when any zone calls for heat?

gg

bigburner said:
5 & 6 are dry contacts

Thanks I will look at it when I get home tomorrow.

gg

Which model do you have? The dry contacts may be in a different location then the one shown above. Tell us the number and we can pull up the correct drawing and show you the wiring. If you want to switch a 120V load with the dry contacts you need to supply voltage to that switch.

hr

I have the 4 zone SR504-2.

Right now I have the primary pump running 24/7. I had it set up that way with my OWB because the lines were not buried. I now have the logstor 6' down and in heated space on both ends.

The picture below is my load distribution in my attached garage. I have thought about moving the primary pump to the boiler shed 115' away but not sure what would be best. For now I just want to change it so it runs only on call from zone.

gg

Attachments

• Primary:secondary.jpg
    Primary:secondary.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 288
barnartist said:
what is this and can I use it at all?

looks like a contactor. you could use it with 24 volts to turn on a circulaor, however it is normally use for larger high current loads like a compressor motor.

goosegunner said:
I have the 4 zone SR504-2.

Right now I have the primary pump running 24/7. I had it set up that way with my OWB because the lines were not buried. I now have the logstor 6' down and in heated space on both ends.

The picture below is my load distribution in my attached garage. I have thought about moving the primary pump to the boiler shed 115' away but not sure what would be best. For now I just want to change it so it runs only on call from zone.

On the left hand side of the control you have an end switch, This switch will "make" or close when any of the zones are running. So the wall thermostat turns on the zone relay and it also closes that end switch contacts. I'm assuming you do not have anything else connected to the end switch?

So now take a short piece of wire, 14 or 16 gauge , black if you have it :) and jumper from your L or hot terminal on the right hand side where you brought power into the box.

Now you have power on one side of those end switch contacts. Wire your primary pump to the other terminal on the end switch, and the neutral wire at the right hand side.

You have a white and black wire going into the box from the primary circ. Black to the end switch, white to the neutral wire at the right side.

Now that end switch (relay) will send power to the primary pump ONLY when any of the zones are operating.

That end switch is often used to "call on" a gas boiler that is why it shows TT on the boiler wired to it.

hr

gg

Attachments

• Picture 18.png
    Picture 18.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.