I forgot about the power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FISHBONZ

Sep 9, 2008
Kirkwood, MO
I just had my Jotul 550 installed! I am very excited. One problem though. I forgot about the power supply for the blowers. On this model there is a cord with a plug that you could just plug into the wall and be done. It can come out through the surround and lay across the hearth and plug into the wall if one wanted to. I really don't want to do that so here are the options I can think of.

1. Drill a hole though the floor of the old fireplace, which is brick, that is large enough to fit the entire plug. This would be about 1 inch diameter. Then I will have to put some sort of plug in the ceiling of the basement. This can be recessed in the wall with a cover over it for access later.

2. Use an existing hole from an old gas line. Cut the plug off the cord and hard wire it inside a junction box in the basement.

I am wondering what others have done for this and what the best option would be.

Thoughts?

Don't consider #2. I believe it's illegal and will make servicing the stove (if it has to be pulled out) a pain.

I would do number 1 but only drill the hole large enough for the wire, cut off the plug and then wire a new one on after you pass the wire through the hole.

Better than hardwiring except you end up with a similar problem, having to cut the plug off again to remove the insert.

Drill a hole trough the firebrick.Run the metal flexible type wire into firebox put a metal single gang box with metal coover plate and plug it in. If your worried about heat cover with ceramic wool insulation. I have done this a hundred times or more never had a problem. Good Luck and enjoy your new insert.

daryl said:
Drill a hole trough the firebrick.Run the metal flexible type wire into firebox put a metal single gang box with metal coover plate and plug it in. If your worried about heat cover with ceramic wool insulation. I have done this a hundred times or more never had a problem. Good Luck and enjoy your new insert.

What he said, but Tapcon the junction box to the floor of the firebox...

I've just got the stupid cord running all over the place. I'm gonna do what they said though.... just when I can't stand it anymore or right before we move ;-)

I hear you about the wire clutter.
It doubles with a temp switch.
I've got to hide them as well, as soon as I clean the chimney, which will be right after it gets cold.

index.php

Thanks for the information. Where does one get the Ceramic Wool Insulation? Home Depot or the Hearth Shop? Good thing I have an electrician in the family. This is all free!!!!!

velvetfoot said:
I hear you about the wire clutter.
It doubles with a temp switch.
I've got to hide them as well, as soon as I clean the chimney, which will be right after it gets cold.

index.php

looks like you have extention cords? is that legal? I am in the same boat, but can I use a power cord? otherwise I am gonna run it down

Actually I usually put the magnetic switch on the left. I don't think the setup can reach the outlet without an extenstion.
I'm not sure what I would do, but the wires do look ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.