I forgot the answer to this.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I'm starting to put the Summit in the fireplace. I need a 15 foot chimney and I'm going to be close. Do I measure from the bottom of the firebox or do I just count the length of the liner? Also, how tall should this be ideally? I know 15' is the minimum.

Thanks,

Karl

From the stove up - the flue collar. Given a fireplace installation - which is pretty much straight up and lined to the top - it is likely that you will be OK to be in the ball park........13, 14, or 15 feet up - there are other factors which affect this.

If need be, you can run a liner a few feet out the top of the chimney and encase it with one of my extendaflues

http://www.extendaflue.com/cast.html

We can make adapters that will accept your lining pipe - you can go up just an extra foot (PT1212 ) or three feet plus (cast classics).

I seem to remember reading that you should measure from the floor of fireplace. I forget why. If you figure from the outlet on top of the insert, and add whatever you want coming out of the chimney top (rigid liner only), If flex just figure about 3-5' extra, and after install trim top down. The reason I say this is when you go through the existing damper & smoke chamber, its not a straight shot, so some will be taken up in the curve. Better too much than not enough.
They make 25', 30' & 35' flex liner lengths I believe. You did not state whether your installing rigid or flex? I installed 5' of flex off the top of the insert to the first flue tile, then insulated double wall to the top and out about 18".

Look at page six of the manual.

"1) Measure the chimney height from the top of the existing
flue to the floor of the hearth. This will allow extra
length of liner for flashing and rain cap."

PE is the only one that does the measurement from the bottom of the stove body to the top that I have seen.

I knew that :)

Hogwildz said:

Yeah. But you have a life. I, on the other hand, just seem to read stove manuals and hang out on hearth.com.

It is pathetic.

Yeah. But you have a life. I, on the other hand, just seem to read stove manuals and hang out on hearth.com.

It is pathetic.[/quote]
Naaaaaaa BB Then there would be know one for me to justify to. Because of you my typing is getting faster. ;-P

I read that Bart, but since it said that is to make sure you have extra liner. I thought they might not be counting in the 15 feet. I will be installing flex the whole way up the liner.

karl said:
I read that Bart, but since it said that is to make sure you have enough liner. I thought they might not be counting in the 15 feet.

I sure wouldn't want less than fifteen feet of pipe, and more if I could get it, on top of a stove for sure. That big hoss needs all of the draft you can give it for good performance.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

It is pathetic.
BB thats not all you do you make the best smoked ribs on the east coast. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.