I found a goldmine.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
A guy I work with had about 9 acres of woods logged out. They only take from the first limb down, he says, "take all you want, I want it cleaned up". It is only about 6 miles down the road from my place, its like christmas in feb. Im not sure what kind, but it has to be good wood for it to have been logged out right?

All it needs is seasoning buckeye and it's good wood. Good score and work safe.

"They only take from the first limb down"

That would be a huge waste of quite good lumber. Wow. If they left everything then he got a big check. Probably really tall stumps and tops laying all over with no replanting. They simply skimmed the cream.

Enjoy the logs. I would be there too. The tops might be scattered throughout the forest with the limbs still attached so a good portion of your work will be getting the logs to the truck.

That's cool- my folks have 20 acres, about 10 miles away from me- that many of the trees have been nailed by bark beetls. I cut the trees down, debark'em, split'wm and st the peices on a large rock to dry in the sun and wind...................

yeah, loggers take 8' sections..most trees you cant get 2 8' sections or 16'..some you can.. everything else is just waste to a sawmill

If it has been logged, hopefully you will be in good shape. I guess it could be pine or poplar - not that there is anything 'wrong' with those woods, but they are at the lower end of the spectrum. But, heck - 6 miles away and already felled, should be pretty easy pickin's.

YEAH, I definatly would have asked what kind of wood it is first

Status
Not open for further replies.