I found a quiet replacement for a box fan!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Last month the place across from my rental had a pile of junk out front. I always have to take a look when I see those. There was a Holmes double window fan in the pile and it fell into the back of my truck. This weekend I finally got the chance to test it. It works! And it's quiet! It also has a high and low speed. I'm going to be real happy with it. Check them out if the noise of a box fan bugs you!

Last month the place across from my rental had a pile of junk out front. I always have to take a look when I see those. There was a Holmes double window fan in the pile and it fell into the back of my truck. This weekend I finally got the chance to test it. It works! And it's quiet! It also has a high and low speed. I'm going to be real happy with it. Check them out if the noise of a box fan bugs you!
How do you have it installed?

I use a blower that's made to dry floors. Lowest setting. Quieter than a box fan and works well too.

How do you have it installed?

I have it set on the floor leaning against a bed. I was just curious how it would work. It's only about a foot high so it doesn't really get in the way.

My experience is the fan blade and pitch are just to small to move considerable air. I'm convinced you need a big fan with a lot of pitch to move air quietly. Go smaller and the speed has to increase which results in noise. The vornado has been the only compromise I found.

That would make sense. I am only trying to heat a room that is 16' wide and 8' deep. It might not be as much help in a large house. For a small room it gets 2 thumbs up though.