I give up on Oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daveswoodhauler said:
Funny, I usually never get oak...so when 2 oaks came down in December of 2008 at my grandparents I jumped on top of it.
So, the trees were cut in Spring of 2009, split and stacked single rows in October 2009. (In the sun)
OK, just grabbed a split out and resplit..checked with my moisture meter and it was reading 34%.....lol
Checked some maple and ash I have, and they were reading 18-20% when resplit.
I'm done with this oak stuff....it might keep a fire going a long time, but I don't have 4 years to sit and wait to let it get below 25% lol
Maybe its just this northeast climate...telling my wood guy next time that he can keep all the oak for someone else.
Burn on folks :)

Burn that oak. Sure, dry seasoned wood is much better and will put out more heat, but you gotta burn what ya got. IMO, to many people worry over wood not being in the *recommended* dryness percentage. I cut and split my wood when I get the chance and generally stay 1 year ahead. If my wood is not 15-20% on the dryness scale so be it, it gets thrown in the stove anyway. If anything, save the wetter wood for overnight burns. We shut our stoves down anyway to have a bed of coals in the morning for an easy restart. Slightly wetter wood may aid in a bit longer burn for those coals in the morning. Just sweep your chimney a bit more if your worried about creosote. I can be a worry wart over the simplest things, but wet wood is not one of them.

Battenkiller said:
Hey rocket scientist... that looks like some nice rocket fuel to me. ;-)

Yep Good Stuff

Attachments

• imagesCA3ATVTQ.jpg
    imagesCA3ATVTQ.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.