I got a "new" saw (project saw)...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
I picked this up from CL a few months ago for a few bucks. It was listed "parts saw". The guy said he lent it to his buddy and now it don't run. I was hoping it would be something simple like a carb problem, but when I pulled on the starter rope I knew the piston was shot, no compression.

When I removed the cylinder it was clear why their was no compression, piston was very scored.
I did the muratic acid cleanup to the cylinder and was able to restore it to good condition.

A new OEM piston and ring kit was only $14 from Baileys. It also needed a few parts for the chain break. I also replaced the bar and chain.
I tried running it last month, it would start OK but bog and stall when cutting. Yesterday I replaced the fuel line and filter and that cured the problem. :) I ran about half a tank of gas through it cutting up some odd ball wood, seemed to work well.
Another one saved from the scrap heap. And another to add to the collection.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 251
  • PDR_0031.jpg
    PDR_0031.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 234
Nice work, a worthy saw to save for sure.

Looks like the result of someone putting straight gas in it..

Status
Not open for further replies.