1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I got a "new" saw (project saw)...

Post in 'The Gear' started by WES999, Sep 12, 2010.

1. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    I picked this up from CL a few months ago for a few bucks. It was listed "parts saw". The guy said he lent it to his buddy and now it don't run. I was hoping it would be something simple like a carb problem, but when I pulled on the starter rope I knew the piston was shot, no compression.

When I removed the cylinder it was clear why their was no compression, piston was very scored.
    I did the muratic acid cleanup to the cylinder and was able to restore it to good condition.

A new OEM piston and ring kit was only $14 from Baileys. It also needed a few parts for the chain break. I also replaced the bar and chain.
    I tried running it last month, it would start OK but bog and stall when cutting. Yesterday I replaced the fuel line and filter and that cured the problem. :) I ran about half a tank of gas through it cutting up some odd ball wood, seemed to work well.
    Another one saved from the scrap heap. And another to add to the collection.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ANeat

ANeat New Member

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    Nice work, a worthy saw to save for sure.

Looks like the result of someone putting straight gas in it..