I got Jonsored!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
I finally did it. I got me a saw, a real saw! I've been using a 42cc Poulan for the last couple of years a have 8 cords of so under my belt. Unfortunately for me half those cords were Red Oak 24" sized trunks. The saw worked well on Maple and Birch but would dull very quickly upon meeting Red and White Oak. A week ago a 26" diameter Red Oak fell into my lawn taking the top off another similair sized tree. The thought of bucking up 2+ cords of Red Oak with the little saw made my hands hurt. I'm still pretty young at 32 but years of landscaping when I was younger has brought out arthritis in my hands and wrists. Last year it became very noticeable and painful after using the saw. That's my excuse for buying the saw and I'm sticking to it!

I can't wait for Sunday when I can introduce J'red to some Red Oak. I thought I was buying the saw with the standard 16" bar and chain. I asked if I could get a chisel chain instead of the safety and the kid said, no problem. After the new chain was installed and it was fired up it was handed to me. I'm no genius but that is a pretty big bar for 16". I mentioned it but he didn't care and said I could have it that way if I wanted. He ended charging for a an 18" bar/chain I found out later but it was only $5 more so who cares. I'm going to sell the Poulan and try to recoup some of the money I spent on her. I bought a circa 1970's Poulan at a tag sale on Monday to advantage of Jonsored "stimulus" trade in Program. I spent $5 on the saw and got a $90 credit towards the 2255 Jonsored. It is basicially a Husky 455 Rancher with different plastics and a couple upgraded pieces. Too small for me to notice. All in all I got the saw with a 20" bar and chisel chain for $425 with tax and 6 gallons worth of Husky 2 stroke oil.

I went back and forth between the 455 Rancher and the MS290. The tradein brought the Husky/Jonsored saw to the same price point as the Stihl. I choose it over the Stihl because the dealer is a small shop and I can talk to the same guy every time I go in there. They are both just a couple miles away from me but the Stihl dealer is a very large hardware/power equipment store and I knew I would never get a break from them. Last summer when the spring in my Poulan starter unraveled (????) the little shop fixed it for ten bucks. It would have cost me at least $40 at the hardware store. I knew it only took 5 mintues to fix as I tried to do it myself but it was a real PITA. That little event ended up being the deciding factor.

If you're looking for a Husky 455 Rancher take a ride to a Jonsored dealer. The 2255 is the same saw but without the couple of crappy parts the big box store versions end up with. AT $380 it is pretty good deal and a great saw. I plan on getting a 16" bar a couple of replacement chains soon to really rip through the smaller stuff. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 458
Welcome to club red. Our 2152 has been great. Isn't the 2255 a lot closer to a Husky XP than a rancher?

Good luck with the new saw, is Jonsored made by Husqvarna?

Zap

Thanks. The way the dealer explained it to me was the 2255 was basically the same as the 455 Rancher. A lot of people buy the 344 at the box stores and to keep the price down they skimp on a couple items. The Jonsored has a couple of upgraded parts and different plastics. I looked at the 2152 which I believe is a 50 cc saw. The kid at the shop mentioned a steel case vs a plastic one which made it more in line with a pro saw(???). Both of those saw qualified for the trade in but for what I'm going to use it for, I'll take the couple extra cc's and ability to run a 20" bar. I only plan on cutting up 2-3 cord a year and helping out friends etc. I hope to have this saw for 20+ years.

Sounds like a good deal, though a 20" bar on a 55cc saw is pushing the power a bit. OTOH w/ a 16" bar it will be a real screamer...

The other thing I was noticing from looking at the picture is that the brake looks like it's part of the side cover, which makes me wonder if you have an inside or outside sprocket? Both work, and some folks say the inside sprocket moves the bar in a bit on the saw so it balances better, but IMHO it makes it much more of a nusiance to work on as you have to take the clutch off to change sprockets, and have to work around the clutch to change the chains... (My Pull-on has an inside sprocket) On my Dolmar I have an outside sprocket, which is much easier to work around, and if I need to change it, all I need to do is pull off one snap ring and the rim sprocket pulls right off... I also like that the brake on the Dolmar is part of the saw as opposed to the cover, makes the cover easier to get on and off. With my Pull-on the brake is in the cover, which makes it a bit harder to line up when putting the cover on, and requires that I be very careful not to trip the brake when the cover is off the saw as it is a real challenge to reset with out having the saw to brace against.

However that is purely a matter of opinion, and from what I've heard that is a nice saw - may you get long and happy service from it...

Gooserider

You'll wanna make sure that one, 1, bolt holding the cover and bar assembly togethor is tightened right up.
Good Luck, with the new tool.

zapny said:
Good luck with the new saw, is Jonsored made by Husqvarna?

Zap

Husky makes alot of saws. Jonsered, Poulan, Muchuloch(SP)some Sears brands and others. Stihl makes Stihl!!! Jonsered is a quality line of Husky though.

CTburning said:
. . . Last summer when the spring in my Poulan starter unraveled (????) the little shop fixed it for ten bucks. It would have cost me at least $40 at the hardware store. I knew it only took 5 mintues to fix as I tried to do it myself but it was a real PITA. That little event ended up being the deciding factor. . . .

And that's why I continue to buy my chainsaw oil, snowmobiles, snowmobile oil, etc. at the small local dealer as well . . . I may pay a little more up front on some things, but in the long run establishing a good relationship makes things a heckuva lot easier (i.e. when you bring in something for a repair they'll often try to fix in right then to get you back up and running, they often throw in free oil, files, bar guards, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.