I got most of my Simpson pipe,chimney & acc. from VentingPipe.com today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing missing was the place to start...I had ordered a simpson model # 9444 Flat ceiling support box for supporting my chimney as it does come in black from Ventingpipe.com. I did see the picture of it online and it stuck me as a proper flat ceiling support so i ordered it. However the latest simpson dura -tech manual does not elaborate on that support and only says it is suitable for flat ceilings and is mostly used for oil pipe chimney and does not come in black. Well they are wrong.

Anyone have experience with this flat ceiling support. I was wondering how much lower than the finished ceiling this support has to be installed. I'm thinking 2" on the square housing and perhaps another 3 " for the insulated collar and close clearance adaptor. Its just not specified in the manual and the last time i called simpson i had to wait 6 hours to hear back from them. And the man was terse and unfriendly.

I was a little disappointed with the Englander stove welds, but only in around their 6" Pipe collar. There was a hugh blob of welding goop that hadn't been grinder off, and the inside mesurement of the collar tolerances are a little too tight to take a DVL adaptor all the way to the surface of the stove. I did some filing and have a pair of steel gutter pliers, which are alot like the stove special plyers for making your own male ends on a stove pipe. So we are Ok with that now. I figure I got what i paid for a better than average stove for the money.

All the simpsom parts with the exception of the Expandable DVL kit were packed really first class. That DVL expandable piece of pipe came throught with no padding : on sides top or bottom and the damn thing was dented through both layers of pipe so as to be unusable. It looked like some warehouse man had moved it by gripping the top and kicking the bottom along with a steel toed boot. I did pay $144 plus shipping for that thinly boxed DVL expandable. While the dura-tech 6' pipe had foam all around and also at the top and bottom, The Dvl had nothing and the box didn't even show excessive signs of abuse. Well i guess i could have sent it back as it wouldn't fit the damper adaapter, But I have been fixing things all my life and i successfully bent into round both layers of the dvL to fit the adaptor. Just a little wear and tear cosmetics, but nothing and old troll like me would take notice of. The chimney brackett looks worth the money at $68 plus shipping.

Oh and Woodman's Parts Plus called today and told me my $99 ...3' galvalized metal cricket is ready. If I can get the thing home from N.H. with out it blowing out of the truck I will then see how my simpson brackets fit around this " holy batman" monster. They say there is a stove museum down at woodmans, so I'll be sure to check back. Hopefully it's a bit better than perry's nut house in Belfast.
we are getting there but it aint gonna be quick.
Best regars to all, joe

Download the Simpson installation manual which has all the specifics for mounting the support collar and the amount it has to project into the room.

The manual doesn't address that unit clearly. It mentions it as one of three alternatives (round, square, or flat ceiling support), but only specifies the projection for the round unit.

Figure 3 in the manual seems to apply to all units, and shows the 3" drop measured to the bottom of the collar, which itself is 3" high. So the shoulder of the box should be flush with the finished ceiling, IMHO.

I do have the Dura tech installation manual and it does not cover the flat ceiling support box. I did find a reference in the Dura-plus installation manual and it requires the bottom of the box to be a minimum of 2" below the finished ceiling.

The pdf that I have is titled 'Duratech Chimney 5-8" Diameter Installation Instructions' and is 24 pages. The filename on the Simpson site is "L150 Dec05.pdf". It mentions the Flat Ceiling Support Box at the bottom of page 5 and on the next page.

Status
Not open for further replies.