I got punked by my Dad!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
My Dad has a large pile of 100% red oak logs, and he asked me to come over and help buck. I show up yesterday, start on the pile, but the pile is so tight, with such large logs, it was terrible to try and move anything, so I told him to have the neighbor come down and break up the pile with his tractor. He then asks me to help with a downed tree down the road and come back later for the logs once the pile is ready. I drive a minute down the road and find a red maple fallen in a swamp. Not prepared for water, I'm ankle deep in muck and start cutting up the maple with my Dad. As I'm cutting the tree, I notice most of the tree is punk - for example, the butt was about 24" diameter, with at least 6-8 inches of bad punk before hitting a small cylinder of good heartwood. So...I tell my Dad that the tree is rotten and ask why the bloody hell we are lugging rotten wood through a swamp! "Oh, I'll burn anything - wood's wood"! So, I tell him that the punk is going to constantly soak up water, burn terrible, etc., etc., but to no avail. So, I spent 2-3 hours lugging rotten wood through a rotten swamp, with black flies swarming like no tomorrow. I got punked by my Dad! I though I was making some headway too - he is starting to put two years of wood up, rather than burn wood only bucked and split the summer before burning - back to the drawing board.......Cheers!

Sometimes you do have to put your foot down and this sounds like one of those times. No way would I cut that thing, especially in the conditions you describe. Sorry Dad, it is not worth it. It sounds like you perhaps taught him to get ahead with his wood so now you can teach him what good wood is and what bad wood is. Good luck.

I hear ya Dennis, sometimes hard to say no to your Dad....perhaps once he tries to split the junk he'll realize how crazy it was to haul it out! Cheers!

HA HA sounds like something my Dad would have me doing. I'd still do it for him if he asked

My dad has done so much for me in my life I'd swim to a tree for him, cut it and float it back if he asked me to. :) Of course he would be well aware of my feelings on the situation with the 4 letter words pouring out of my mouth! :lol:

Punky Red Maple? I'm not seeing much overnight burn potential there. :lol:

rdust said:
My dad has done so much for me in my life I'd swim to a tree for him, cut it and float it back if he asked me to. :) Of course he would be well aware of my feelings on the situation with the 4 letter words pouring out of my mouth! :lol:

I hear you rdust! I feel the same way, and that's why I lugged the punk! He did hear a few choice words here and there! Cheers!

those are the voices I heard coming through the woods the other day....thought we might have been invaded by goblins or hobbits. I have found that it is best to not question Dad- just go along with it and laugh about it down the road.

LOL My Dad would still tell me "Why are you wasting gas,time & your back muscles on that spongy crap? :wow: "

You know what would be really cool?

It would be really cool if I could spend a day in the woods working with my dad. If I could bring his grandkids along that would make it perfect. Even if we got punked.

I'd take it.

My dad has been gone for 30 years so cutting punky wood with your dad is a good thing. :)

Sounds like Dad is like mine a bit rough around the edges. I with the guys here that says it's Dad, he can do no wrong. He's still out there still doing stuff, how many are not. Bring the grand kids, enjoy the day. Dad is not wrong, dry and keep that punked wood dry and it burns fine. The problem will be Dad may not be able to keep it dry before he trys to burn it.

oldspark said:
My dad has been gone for 30 years so cutting punky wood with your dad is a good thing. :)

Agreed! But cutting good wood is even better! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.