1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I got wood...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bigcube, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Unfortunately it was not put where I wanted it. The driver thought my yard was too soft to get it out behind the garage. I guess I need to get it cut up quick :red: I guess the race car won't come out of the garage for a while. He thought it should be about 7 cords once cut split and stacked. Price was $625 for the load.
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    yep you got wood
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I like to take delivery when the ground is well frozen and I keep the snow off to make sure it is. Nice pile of wood. Now get to work!
  4. JotulOwner

JotulOwner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    No chance they could roll and hit the garage I hope. Can't see the garage side from the pic, but I would use caution moving anything in that pile.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks good and a good price too.
  6. Tom Posch

Tom Posch New Member

Loc:
    Farmingdale, NJ
    "I guess the race car won't come out of the garage for a while"

What type of racing are you in to?
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Right now, I'd say he's in a race to see how quickly he can safely get that wood bucked and moved to a more convenient place. Rick
  8. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I'm getting tired just thinking about it :)

Nice, very nice !!
  9. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    LOL
    Ja, forget about the General Lee and get Daisy to help you with that wood. %-P
  10. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Could you compromise and so some "isometric" racing while you're doing your wood working hobbies?
  11. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    Sweet looking pile!

Hopefully it's not Elm!!!!!!!!
  12. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I borrowed a home built log roller from my Dad. His suggestion was to cut them in half then use the roller to move them out back. I'm not sure what all is in the pile. Looks a little bit of oak, lot's of maple and some ash.. what else I have no idea.

I have an Dodge Dart drag car.... I might not see the light of day till june.
  13. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Yes, I know, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do this. Here is a pic from the other side
    [​IMG]
    The only 2 that really worry me about rolling are the to big ones on the top.
  14. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Get some pallets and stand them up all the way across the front of your garage. Maybe roll that one log closest right up to the edge first and then put the pallets in front of it. Then get to work!
  15. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Instead of rolling the log off the top, slide it sideways, bucking rounds off of it as you go.
  16. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I was thinking something like that. I might be able to pull them with the 4-wheeler... but it's in the garage. I think the big ones on top will be cut on the pile. I was out back looking at it wondering what I have got myself into tonight as it was getting dark.
  17. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Can't tell fer sure, but it looks to me like there might be an opportunity to skid the top guys straight off the stack, using a line from your nice blue truck to the top log first and just dragging it off. Dunno, maybe there's a fence in your way. If you could get a couple of logs dragged off the top and scoot 'em around sideways, then you could drag all the rest down a couple at a time and just buck to your heart's content. Whatever you do...be careful! Good luck! Rick
  18. Creek-Chub

Creek-Chub New Member

Loc:
    Niles, MI
    Any way you slice it, that's a hard weekend's worth of work. Splitting is of course another story. Get to it, and be safe.
  19. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    When I was young I bucked them right up on top of the pile. Be very careful because that is where you get the most kickback.
  20. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    No one has suggested this, so I'm guessing there is a good reason to not do so, but why not buck the rounds starting at one end of the pile as a whole? Then you just work your way towards the other end (the long way).
  21. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    LLigetfa, touched on that with kickback. Now if those were just, say, 3" round you could do quite a bit of that with little problem, but I would not want to try much of it with those logs. Personally, I would start on the side away from the garage and if I couldn't skid them sideways, I'd just roll one at a time to the bottom but have blocks under it. Cut that up, throw sawn pieces out of the way and then roll another log down. Just remember that whey you roll the log down to be at the end so you won't have logs rolling onto you!
  22. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    There are a few logs that you could safely buck some rounds off of but there are two risks with what you suggest.

1. You risk destabilizing the pile and have it tumble.
    2. You should never EVER work with the saw above shoulder height. Something about distance from saw to neck and reaction time. I've had a saw kickback from ground level and the bar came within an inch of my nose before I stopped it.

That said, I have used a saw above shoulder height, but it was using the top of the bar and not WOT.
  23. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I'm still devising a plan. I want to cut the two big ones at the top on the pile. I may enlist the help of a buddy, last year he did a pile like this by standing on it. Once the 2 big ones on the top are done I will pull them out 5 or 6 foot at a time with my jeep and then start bucking off rounds 3 at a time. I might borrow my Dad's 4 wheeler, his has a winch on the front.
  24. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I got my Dad's 4-wheeler with a winch over here tonight. We were able to pull 3 of them off the pile into the yard. Now I have a few to cut when it's not raining.
  25. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    I cant believe the guy dropped them in front of your garage!?!?!?!?!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.