I got wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2009
Northern ,IL
The question is how much do I have ??? My neighbor's love the wood pile in my back yard

Attachments

• DSCN1117.jpg
    DSCN1117.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 676
  • DSCN1118.jpg
    DSCN1118.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 657
  • DSCN1119.jpg
    DSCN1119.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 648
  • DSCN1120.jpg
    DSCN1120.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 657
Nice! Did you have to pay for it? Or did you manage to luck into it?

I need to get a trailer like that to pull behind my pickup. Looks quite sturdy. How much weight can it cary?

-SF

Free wood the best wood

I have about 2 more trailer loads still bucked and waiting to be loaded.
Caught a side job cutting so a little cash and freewood.
It's a bobcat trailer 14,000 lbs max Gets the job done

rough guess 4.5 cords

You have a sizable home. What stove are you using to heat that much square footage?

Fpx 44 elite

I built the house last year and I have spray foam insulation so it does not take much at all the heat the entire house.
It also has a very open floor plan. This will be my first winter with decent wood. Last year after building I had very little time to scrounge for wood so I eneded up with some willow and Maple both were not seasoned like they should.
This comming up winter will be a winter of testing and learning that will determine my burning for the next year.

I have 97 % eff Furnaces in the house so my heating bills are very low as is but if I can get the stove to run 6-8 hrs and put out decent heat I may try to burn 24/7

44 elite said:
Fpx 44 elite

I built the house last year and I have spray foam insulation so it does not take much at all the heat the entire house.
It also has a very open floor plan. This will be my first winter with decent wood. Last year after building I had very little time to scrounge for wood so I eneded up with some willow and Maple both were not seasoned like they should.
This comming up winter will be a winter of testing and learning that will determine my burning for the next year.

I have 97 % eff Furnaces in the house so my heating bills are very low as is but if I can get the stove to run 6-8 hrs and put out decent heat I may try to burn 24/7

Nice. I wish I had better insulation.

I foam insulation is nice but it was a major expense. It will lake a while to pay for it's self
But when I don't run the stove in the coldest month's my highest ng bill was 172 so for heating a 4300 sqft house to 68 deg and the indoor comfort is well worth the extra money.

44 elite said:
Fpx 44 elite

if I can get the stove to run 6-8 hrs and put out decent heat I may try to burn 24/7

I also have the FXP 44 Elite, first year. With a full load of decent wood(will be better next year) with the air shut down (about 3/4) this is achievable. Much longer and I have not been able to achieve it despite the advertised 12 hour max burn time. I have loaded it up around 10pm and woke in the morning around 7am to warm coals but not kicking out heat. While it is going it does a fantastic job of heating the house...the POS system works well for moving the heat.

Got Wood said:
44 elite said:
Fpx 44 elite

if I can get the stove to run 6-8 hrs and put out decent heat I may try to burn 24/7

I also have the FXP 44 Elite, first year. With a full load of decent wood(will be better next year) with the air shut down (about 3/4) this is achievable. Much longer and I have not been able to achieve it despite the advertised 12 hour max burn time. I have loaded it up around 10pm and woke in the morning around 7am to warm coals but not kicking out heat. While it is going it does a fantastic job of heating the house...the POS system works well for moving the heat.

It worked very well last year with the crap willow and maple heated the house up to about 70 on the first floor and 68 on the second with out a problem Zero and below I did not use it. I am going to break into the wall and get into the chase to insulate the back of the fire box and re configure my outside air pipes into a p-trap configuration as I get air comming into the stove on windy days.

Do you have any trouble with this???

Last winter I was only hitting 400 -450 on the stove face it's to my understanding this is way to low. Most likely the low btu and un-seasoned wood. We will see next year
any more advice on the 44 elite operation

Attachments

• IMG_0054_edited.jpg
    IMG_0054_edited.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 351
I do not have any issues with outside air coming in. Are you speaking of times when the fireplace isnt running? I had heard that was an issue in the past with FPX units. I have not experienced it though. When we did the install I did insulate the chase walls around the unit and packed insulation around the face perimeter.
I dont have a termometer so I dont know the temps I hit. I learned over time how to time things to get a good secondary burn going.
My biggest change will be having better seasoned wood next year. I burned a little over 5 cords this year. Been working hard at getting ahead - close to having 10 cord C/S/S now which is my goal. Once there, I plan to do enough to always have that much processed. I have enjoyed the work so I may get farther ahead...but as the wether warms other activities take over and I prefer doing this work when its cold.

I insulated the inside of the chase and Dry walled but did not insulate around the face. I live in a very open area so wind
is always blowing and if it blows right it will blow in and thru the cold air invet and you can feel.
I know there is now a cold climate kit that addresses these issues I just need to order and install. I think I now have about
5-6 cords as I picked up the rest of the wood from the site yesterday in the rain and I have about double that bucked at my friends farm as I am trying to keep only what I need for that year at my house as I know that the knock at the door is comming from my home owner's assoc.. So about 15 cord in the past 3 mo my back, arms and my truck need a few weekends at the lake house after I get all this split and stacked

Status
Not open for further replies.