I gotta get organized...what a mess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Made a video of my yard, usually not this much of a mess, but being down 5 months with 2 surgeries really put me behind the 8 ball. I've passed over free wood till I get this crap cleaned up.....heck, there is a whole tree down 2 blocks away.
:roll:
th_DSCN2086.gif

Just click on the picture...should start right up ;-)

Wow you've got a lot of nice wood - and a lot of work! DH found an ad today on CL where a guy in a similar situation (surgery) can't operate all the equipment but has it all (splitter, chainsaw etc.) and offered a 50% share of the wood he's got to c/s/s in exchange for labor. I think DH might contact him about doing some next weekend...just a thought, if you want to get it going but don't feel you have the energy/strength, there are plenty of folks who'd help out for a bit of "free" wood. :)

Hope you feel better soon...

I'm still looking for the "mess". Obviously you've never been to my back yard. :sick:

Blue Vomit said:
I'm still looking for the "mess". Obviously you've never been to my back yard. :sick:
Yeah, I can't walk ten feet without tripping over wood. :lol:

BB, are you sure you'll have to buy wood this year? I'd think that if you got the Silver Maple split and stacked soon, single-row, it would be burnable by this Fall...

BB, considering everything you went through recently, that isn't bad at all. Just start chipping away at it, before you know it you'll have that wood ranked nicely in those nice cribs you have. BTW, they look like the ones that Pallet Pete builds. I really like the bins! You have a nice selection of firewood and a nice, large backyard......I'm jealous!

Most of the wood you have S&S should be ready by next burn season. Maybe the oak will need 1 more year but the rest should be good to go.
Get the rounds you have, split up, you'll be set for 2012/13 winter.
If you ned to buy, maybe spring & summer (off season maybe cheaper) , stack & season it for 2013/14 season.
Not much of a mess I could see, looks well organized.
Nice weather too.
Good video :)

Looks like my yard and my backs fine. I have over 4 cords to trim and split and another cord of small rounds that need to be trimmed. As long as I get it done sometimes in April or before Ill be ok.

I'm hoping that Silver Maple will be ready by Fall / early Winter this year. I also heard that Cherry can possibly be ready to go in as little as 6 months....that would be awesome.....gotta consider camping trips, and the Firepit that need wood for burnin' also....likely gonna need a cord this Spring, hopefully off season pricing ;-)

Beer- wish i was closer to ya.would be happy to help a fellow woody get back up to snuff! i've prteey well got things cleaned up here in the holler. workin on wrappin up my 3rd year ahead and startin on my fourth-oak,hickory,ash,etc. looks like you have a bunch of wood that will be just fine for this fall! stay healthy! art

Only seen half the video due to slow conection ,but I didn't see the mess. If you want to see a mess stop on over. I'd
be to embarresed to show a video of my mess.

Looks fine BB, I'd say you need more wood then it might be a mess. :)

zap

Beer Belly said:
I'm hoping that Silver Maple will be ready by Fall / early Winter this year. I also heard that Cherry can possibly be ready to go in as little as 6 months
I had better luck with soft (Red) Maple this year; A green storm-damaged trunk was dry in less than six months, where the Cherry was still a bit damp. Both were split fairly small.

Beer Belly said:
I'm hoping that Silver Maple will be ready by Fall / early Winter this year. I also heard that Cherry can possibly be ready to go in as little as 6 months....that would be awesome.....gotta consider camping trips, and the Firepit that need wood for burnin' also....likely gonna need a cord this Spring, hopefully off season pricing ;-)

I agree that the maple and cherry should be ready to burn next fall. You are doing quite well. Next year will be a better year for you too.

I was just thinking today that my yard is a disaster with the wood everywhere, some needs split, some needs stacked, and some needs sawed up into stove lengths. BB you certainly aren't the only one with this problem, in fact I think your wood supply looks great!

What red oak said. I am in disarray also. Back problems and surgically removed thumbnail because of cyst have been my excuses :<((.

Hickorynut said:
surgically removed thumbnail :<((.
HOLY CRAP !!!!....that sounds painful

Status
Not open for further replies.