I had no idea how much double hungs leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I installed the cheap and cheerful winter window films today and was astounded at the amount of air coming through my new windows. Granted, it is blowing 20-30 right now but I am thinking I might do both indoor and outdoor storms after watching the films move with the gusts.

I have read Gary's inside storm ideas. Given that I haven't done the finish trim in the house yet, it looks like I can incorporate them pretty cheaply and relatively aesthetically pleasing in the process. Has anyone done both interior and exterior storms?

We have 42 windows in our home. All are double hung vinyl with triple trac storms on the outside. The storms which arent necessary make a considerable difference in temperatures of the windows. I've never measured them, but when the sun hits they get very warm. Our problem is the windows are now around 20 years old. With a very old house, old seals they are leaking a little. The ones that were installed correctly don't leak. We have a few that condense between the windows. I would think if you installed both interior and exterior they would cloud up from condensation.

That is kind of what I was wondering. Thinking I will finish trim for the interior storms and work on either a blind or curtain solution from there.

I prefer single hung for that reason, and there all-so cheaper.. unless on the second story the it's nice to be able to clean from the inside.

I got a deal on 45 new in the shrink wrap windows that were the victim of a detailers mistake on a brick building renovation. Couldn't pass up metal clad wood windows at that price and I had the luxury of designing the house around them.

SolarAndWood said:
I installed the cheap and cheerful winter window films today and was astounded at the amount of air coming through my new windows.
You shouldn't have wind penetrating new double-hungs. Unless you mean the film(s) bowing, which also means air is trying to also go out the leeward side of the house.

Has anyone done both interior and exterior storms?

Yes.I have triple tracks on the outside, though. Multiple barriers and multiple air layers reduce the sweating and condensating.
The one or two windows that get a little sweat on them are because the weather stripping on the triple track storms are getting old and water gets in when it rains and blows. I've made sure there are weep holes at the bottoms of the triple tracks as once the inside plastic film goes on there's no more opening or closing windows.

I prefer double-hungs as they allow warmer air out at the top and cooler air in at the bottom.
They can also be locked open and inch or two with the right sash locks and open an inch or two in a downpour usually is just enough for some fresh air without the sills getting soaking wet. Casements pretty much have to be closed in the rain unless they benefit from a large overhang.

billb3 said:
SolarAndWood said:
I installed the cheap and cheerful winter window films today and was astounded at the amount of air coming through my new windows.
You shouldn't have wind penetrating new double-hungs. Unless you mean the film(s) bowing, which also means air is trying to also go out the leeward side of the house.

I thought the same thing but during the gusts you definitely see them move. And definitely on the windward side of the house. Incidentally, the deal I got did not include a warranty.

I do live on an exposed ridge and can see 20 miles in the direction of the prevailing wind. And that entire side of the house is a series of windows so you feel it when its blowin. I assume there is some spec for this and a dealer probably would not have specd them for my application.

Attachments

• 121111 siding progress.jpg
    121111 siding progress.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 409
I believe there rated for mph?

The company that I got mine from said mine were rated to 45 mph.....Just saying!

Hay did you ever get drywall up?

Crap that's a lot of glazing SolarandWood. Why all the double-hungs? Surely no one would consider opening them all. That would take all morning. :)

Hiram Maxim said:
Hay did you ever get drywall up?

lol, you're killin me. Any idea how long it took to get that wall sheeted, felted, foamed, wrapped, windows installed and all those $%^#)) cuts in the siding? Hope to get the drywall in that part of the house done over the winter so I can get the other set of trusses up in the Spring.

BeGreen said:
Crap that's a lot of glazing SolarandWood. Why all the double-hungs? Surely no one would consider opening them all. That would take all morning. :)

That overhang is 8' and is about 2/3 of that wall. Those windows get opened in May and stay open all summer. The other ones get opened as appropriate but don't have any protection from the rain. As for why all double hungs, they were a bargain and it was a compromise with my wife as she thought the house was going too modern.

SolarAndWood said:

+1 Did the same thing last weekend now that temps are finally headed to where they are supposed to be. The difference that little film makes is huge in my house with 20 yo windows. Film blows around a frightening amount before I shrink it down.

onion said:
The difference that little film makes is huge in my house with 20 yo windows.

I am amazed at the difference too. $1.25/window and maybe 15 mins to install. They look a lot better now than I remember too. As I was installing in high winds, I could instantly feel the effect of finishing a window.

I'm probably out of my area here. I have to say that is a huge amount of windows. My DH windows are the original 1941 units. I'm slowly replacing these as I can afford it. I love the new ones, they don't leak to the best of my knowledge. I do know the glass is thicker and double pane and they are hard to close against the squish of the gaskets....

I didn't think they leaked either until I put the film up and saw how much they moved. With that many windows, even minor penetration adds up. They are great when the sun is out, lousy when it is dark and blowing.

One word...

Weatherstripping.

Cheap vinyl v-strip like 3M "v-seal" or Ice-O-Tac can make even the oldest window close to air tight. Ive used it on 100 year old wood double hungs and with a good storm window they are tighter than the craptastic vinyl double glazed casements in my kitchen.

The replacement window industry has great marketing and loves to convince you to buy replacement windows that ownt last nearly as long as pre-WW2 wooden windows and usually end up failing and needing to be replaced again before you get hte payback on the purchase price.... For new construction sure go ahead and buy the best you can afford but for existing homes you are FAR better off spending your money on weatherstip and storm windows.

Just my very non-humble opinion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.