I hate burning Okanagan's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
When it is 50 degrees out!!!!

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

As the weather here in New England has warmed up I have only been burning my stove at night as low as it will go.

I had 3 bags of junk pellets in my stash and 1/2 a ton of Okies.

This week I burned 1 bag Curran's, 1 bag Bayou, and 1 bag of Inferno.

The Inferno really burned like crap. I had to turn up the feed rate to the 3/4 mark to warm up the room.

The Bayou and the Curran's seemed OK.

But now I am back to burning Okies. The stove runs on its lowest setting and it is roasting me out of the room.

I really hate to burn the Okies but I don't want to burn oil. I should buy a ton of shoulder pellets.

Hope I can get load up on Okies this spring/summer.

---Nailer---

[quote author="nailed_nailer" date="1269049928"]When it is 50 degrees out!!!!

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

I should buy a ton of shoulder pellets.

Hope I can get load up on Okies this spring/summer.

---Nailer---[/quote/]

I had a revelation. After burning a lower grade pellet during the shoulder seasons and having low heat, dirty stove and glass, I have decided to just burn good pellets. The cost difference is small and the results are great. No more lousy pellets for me! Why give these companies my money when I can reward to quality companies with my business.

Chan

I agree with CWR's statement . . . .

"I had a revelation. After burning a lower grade pellet during the shoulder seasons and having low heat, dirty stove and glass, I have decided to just burn good pellets. The cost difference is small and the results are great. No more lousy pellets for me! Why give these companies my money when I can reward to quality companies with my business."

For the cost difference, the higher BTU output, the lower ash, and the cleaner glass make a super premium pellet, IMO, well worth the price difference.

I am going with Okanagan pellets. In my stove they give a hot, clean burn, with low ash, and cleaner glass.

Ranger

Yup! It's 28 degrees outside this morning. Okanagans in the xxv with just a little trickle of flame and the house is 71 degrees inside. Okanagans really DO make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!!

No stove on and i'm sitting here 40 degree's outside and 62 inside which i've heard the forced air NOISEY furnace kick in twice for a few minutes....dont want to waste them oakies!!
The furnace is directly below my bedroom and the ducts are very loud in that room i even made a deflector out of a old computer case and screwed it in the duct that goes to that room to quiet some of the noise.

It's suspose to get colder next week so i'll fire up the pellet sunday afternoon

nailed_nailer said:

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

---Nailer---

Yeah, Seems like a waste to burn a really good pellet in the shoulders. I personally burn the cheap crap now! But a CWR said, sometimes its just not worth the little savings you may get! I have 6 bags Currans to go. 2 Warm Fronts and 2 Clean Fires(=Both brands are really NEWPS!). Then I am in to next years stash. (Turmans,Hamers,Okies and Lignetics). Don't want to burn them just yet. Just can't bring myself to burn the good stuff. I might have to go get some more shoulders?

Hope we get some deals soon!

You'll probably think I'm crazy, but I like to burn my least favorite pellets in the coldest part of winter when I go through 2 bags a day. That way I get rid of them quicker. If I'm only going through 1/2 bag a day, it takes forever.

Burn in this weather? You folks are nuts. Turn the pellet cooker off and get some good fresh air into your lungs and work on the winter time spare tire you developed sitting by the fire drinking brews and eating snacks.

Time to turn the vegetable garden, remember to work in all that compost and other organic matter. It should be turned at least three times if you want it well mixed and the spare tire gone.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Burn in this weather? You folks are nuts. Turn the pellet cooker off and get some good fresh air into your lungs and work on the winter time spare tire you developed sitting by the fire drinking brews and eating snacks.

Time to turn the vegetable garden, remember to work in all that compost and other organic matter. It should be turned at least three times if you want it well mixed and the spare tire gone.

Still chilly in the AM some mornings. So the stove stays on stat if needed. To warm this morning and the doors and a few windows are open. Hot dogs and burgers on the grill for lunch. Got some big old steak's ready for this evening.

Yard's raked, gardens tilled and there's flowers blooming! Did my vehicle maintence. Cruise the web a bit. Take a snooze and get ready to eat some nice wood cooked/smoked beef for diner! Hickory sounds good. Love this spring weather we are having this weekend! Just hope it last's for a while. Got a feeling were going right into summer and hot days coming too soon!

Hope I made ya all hungry for some outdoor cooking! Emmm beef is whats for dinner tonight! Maybe some BBQ ribs(beef of coarse) tomorrow!

jtakeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Still chilly in the AM some mornings. So the stove stays on stat if needed. To warm this morning and the doors and a few windows are open. Hot dogs and burgers on the grill for lunch. Got some big old steak's ready for this evening.

Yard's raked, gardens tilled and there's flowers blooming! Did my vehicle maintence. Cruise the web a bit. Take a snooze and get ready to eat some nice wood cooked/smoked beef for diner! Hickory sounds good. Love this spring weather we are having this weekend! Just hope it last's for a while. Got a feeling were going right into summer and hot days coming too soon!

Hope I made ya all hungry for some outdoor cooking! Emmm beef is whats for dinner tonight! Maybe some BBQ ribs(beef of coarse) tomorrow!

I did the steak on the grill thing earlier in the week, been trying to work off all of the additional tonnage due to not spending day after day cleaning up snow, the third winter here has been quite open unlike the prior two. The snow in the yard lasted until May 5 the first winter we were here. Currently there are two small piles left.

The turkeys should start showing up shortly, there are several flocks of wild turkeys in the area and they stop by once in awhile. There are a couple of hens that raise their broods on the property. Have woken up in the morning to a couple of toms doing their squabbling err I'm the best for you honey routine in the middle of the back yard on more than one occasion.

jtakeman said:
nailed_nailer said:

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

---Nailer---

Yeah, Seems like a waste to burn a really good pellet in the shoulders. I personally burn the cheap crap now! But a CWR said, sometimes its just not worth the little savings you may get! I have 6 bags Currans to go. 2 Warm Fronts and 2 Clean Fires(=Both brands are really NEWPS!). Then I am in to next years stash. (Turmans,Hamers,Okies and Lignetics). Don't want to burn them just yet. Just can't bring myself to burn the good stuff. I might have to go get some more shoulders?

Jay, which Cleanfire's do you have? The Cleanfire hardwoods's I have are one of the hottest pellets I've tried this year. And I tried Oakies, Cubex, Spruce Pointe and Rocky mtn. The problem is they are super dusty and alot of fines in the bag...ash is ok.

oilhater said:
jtakeman said:
nailed_nailer said:

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

---Nailer---

Jay, which Cleanfire's do you have? The Cleanfire hardwoods's I have are one of the hottest pellets I've tried this year. And I tried Oakies, Cubex, Spruce Pointe and Rocky mtn. The problem is they are super dusty and alot of fines in the bag...ash is ok.

oilhater,

They are the hardwoods. I traded imacman other pellets for them. I only have the 2 bags, I was going to put them in my pellet test but ran out of time and energy. So they just got put in the burn pile along with the warm fronts. Cleanfires and Warm fronts are rebagged NEWP products(just fyi for you).

Have you tried the Jaffery NH, NEWP's? Pretty sure there the same ash the Cleanfires. Warm Fronts are the NY NEWP's as far as I know. I may have that reversed??? Getting a little old and forgetful!

jtakeman said:
oilhater said:
jtakeman said:
nailed_nailer said:

(Wake you up BTU ???)
;-)

---Nailer---

oilhater,

They are the hardwoods. I traded imacman other pellets for them. I only have the 2 bags, I was going to put them in my pellet test but ran out of time and energy. So they just got put in the burn pile along with the warm fronts. Cleanfires and Warm fronts are rebagged NEWP products(just fyi for you).

Have you tried the Jaffery NH, NEWP's? Pretty sure there the same ash the Cleanfires. Warm Fronts are the NY NEWP's as far as I know. I may have that reversed??? Getting a little old and forgetful!
Yes, I still have some jaffrey left from last year and I bought a ton of Cleanfire this year. Definatley a different pellet...Jaffrey=dark brown,, no dust or fines, temp 235ish. Cleanfire=light brown, lots dust & fines, temp 250ish. The Cleanfire is much hotter...not a typo. A friend bought Warmfront this year and he hates them. Clinker issue and black glass really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.