1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I Hate Oak

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by lukem, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Luckily for me it doesn't grow much around here

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I was just given a stack of oak that had been sitting for 10 years unsplit. I didn't expect the bigger stuff to be ready but when I split some of the 4-5" stuff and it was reading 36% I was shocked. My wood for 2014/15 is almost all oak and i'm already getting nervous.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Stegman , enjoy the ash while you can. It won't be long before that is all gone. They are dieing fast. Danged Chinese stuff...
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    No, that isn't how I have it stacked. I have some stacked 3 deep, but the avatar is just the pile of rounds I'm currently working on. This new stuff I'm stacking 2 deep. I may even peel a row off the 3-deep stack to bring it down to 2. I know I should stack it single deep, but it just takes up soooo much more space.

This post was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I don't really hate it...but I don't know if it will be my first choice in the future. I've just had a lot of it (26 truckloads) fall in my lap over the past year.

I'll probably be cutting dead/down black locust and osage from here on out. I have access to all I could ever want 1/4 mile up the road.
  5. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I hear you Luke...I am not a fan of it.
    I had one come down in Dec 2008, split and stacked in April of 2009...and guess what...its still 25-27% mc and was split and stacked over 2 years ago...if its free I will take it, but just not a big fan of the oak
  6. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I've found that it gets dry as it enters the coaling stage. :p
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    LOL!
  8. jensent

jensent Member

Loc:
    central Ill
    Oak
    Cut, stack and split.
    Three years minimum!
    Tom
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Im a leg man myself :p
  10. oldspark

oldspark Guest

34 years as my primary wood and has never let me down, how long have some of you whipper snappers been burning (not you backwoods) :lol:
  11. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    The stuff I have slated for 2014 is storm-downed Pin Oak...gonna be soggy. I will be splitting it small and stacking single-row. :smirk:
  12. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Any chance this is the super quick drying variety no one has mentioned yet?

Attached Files:

13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    That be white oak. Dries slightly faster than my red...but still needs about 26,000 hours of drying time.
  14. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    hmmm, got to come up with a place to park 20K pounds of wood that won't be in the way for the next 3 years.
  15. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Parking mine here. About 18' long right now...much more to go.

Attached Files:

16. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    That's a great pic with the pups.... Is that landscape timbers? Looks like it should work....
  17. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Yup, timbers. On sale at menards for a buck something each.
  18. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Hmmm. How long are those bad boys?
  19. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    8'
  20. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Standard length is 8 feet,in over 20 yrs I've never seen any longer.
  21. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    I love me some oak. i am cutting on 2 huge oaks all this week im expecting about 8 cords from them. it will season 3 years and it will be great as always.
  22. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia

You ain't a kidding big uns, I cut big trees and a 2 cord tree is big, u talking twice as big,, WOW send us a picture good Luck. :bug:
  23. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    i hear ya. it really holds on to moisture...especially white oak cuz its non ring-porous. this year i'll be burning 2 year seasoned white oak that was stacked 4 deep so i'll let you know how it burns. i just don't have the space to stack in long single rows. when it is dry white oak is just fantastic firewood - among the best in our bioregion.

i've always burned oak after 1 full year of seasoning but now that we're settling in to this new place i can start to get a few years ahead. this weekend i'm gonna drop a big standing dead red oak and another green (diseased and leaning) one. i'm hoping to be filling out next years's supply and moving into 13/14.

i read an article from some clown (mis-information again) who said that white oak was awful firewood and should be avoided. he said that if you ever notice a chunk of wood in your fireplace that just won't burn, no matter how much you poke it, its probably white oak. dude! its probably GREEN you fool. but he does have a point if someone doesn't have 2 years to wait...

i love oak. i love the sound of it, the smell, the weight, the color, the coals, the bark, the leaves, the big sweeping branches, the acorns and...the heat.

OT
  24. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    If I'm not mistaken, the White and Red Oak groups are ring-porous, as is Ash. Ash is known as a fast-drying wood, but has a lower starting moisture content. I still haven't figured out weather a wood's structure ( ring-porous vs. diffuse-porous) has a bearing on drying time...

The consensus here seems to be that Red Oak is the slowest-drying wood, slower even than White Oak. I've burned both, but none that was dried more that six months. :lol: Those days are now behind me, thankfully. You might be able to burn the Red next year, but it had better be starting around 20% moisture content, and split small. That leaves the green tree out, for sure.

Oh, yeah. :cheese:
  25. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    You're correct. They are both ring porous,but White Oak has smaller pores filled with tyloses,a substance that makes the wood waterproof & the best choice for whisky,wine (and in former times) beer barrels & casks.Plus other outdoor uses like boatbuilding,fence posts,certain garden furniture.Made the frame for my backyard swing from 2" & 3" resawn local White Oak planks some 15 yrs ago.Lots of cracks,few tiny edges 'crumbling' but should last another 15-20 yrs. Plus this bench along the trail yesterday.I'll be compost before it is lol...

Attached Files: