I HATE SNOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So, know how I was gonna get my stove installed tomorrow?

Yeah, well, a huge snowstorm is rolling in tonight and supposed to last through Thursday. Sort of precludes cutting a hole in my roof. I MIGHT be able to get it done on Friday. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that buying the stove and paying for the installation, if not actually having it completed, by December 31st is good enough for the tax credit.

DANG IT!! I hate snow!

~Rose

Bad timing for you Rose, but I am sure it will work out fine. I love the stuff. Just got 20 inches and I hope we get a lot more soon.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
DANG IT!! I hate snow!

~Rose

Whenever folks complain about snow around here we suggest that they move back to California;)

You should be good to go on your 30% tax credit if you paid for everything before the 31st.

So long as your receipt is dated 2010

pen

Uncle S just asks that you hold on to the cert that the store gives you for the credit--doesn't even require you to submit it, just keep it around in case they come asking questions. The storm might be keeping the stove from getting installed, but it's keeping the revenoors from your door, too, yes?

Rose- did you get the stove in? ... Whadaya mean NO? ... Suck it up, buttercup- you're in the the High Country now, don't need to hear no 'scuses! :)

According to the law the stove must be in service by the end of the year. Your getting false info from the folks posting prior. That being said.....it would be up to you if you want to falsify a tax document, have your paperwork in hand and assume the IRS wont know the exact install date...well, you wont be the only person in the country doing it.

Franks said:
According to the law the stove must be in service by the end of the year. Your getting false info from the folks posting prior. That being said.....it would be up to you if you want to falsify a tax document, have your paperwork in hand and assume the IRS wont know the exact install date...well, you wont be the only person in the country doing it.

Franks you are correct and I stand corrected. The stove must be "in service" by 12/31. Thanks.

Here's the source: http://www.energysavers.gov/financial/70015.html

"To qualify for a tax credit, they must have been placed in service by December 31, 2010"

You guys are getting too nit pickity about the in service thing. As long as all the recipets are dated prior to the end of the year, including installation recipet if you plan on getting it professionally installed.

What is your definition of 'in service'? To me that sounds like it must be turning wood into ash and putting out heat... What if the weather turned warmed the last couple days of the year? Are you not going to claim thousands because you didnt need to run it until a few days after the first?

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
You guys are getting too nit pickity about the in service thing. As long as all the recipets are dated prior to the end of the year, including installation recipet if you plan on getting it professionally installed.

What is your definition of 'in service'? To me that sounds like it must be turning wood into ash and putting out heat... What if the weather turned warmed the last couple days of the year? Are you not going to claim thousands because you didnt need to run it until a few days after the first?

The better question is what is the IRS' definition of "in service"...good points though.

exactly, are they going to question you about the date of your first fire? How the heck can you prove you have it done by then anyway? Come on. They will NEVER try that because they can't prove it unless they witnessed it themselves. If they questioned you, the receipt would be all that is necessary. What other way could you prove it?

pen

Strange. When I worked for a large corporation, we always had to be sure we followed the letter of the law, including whether a capital asset was in service by the end of the year. If we hadn't, I feel certain a lot of folks on here would have raised a ruckus about unethical, scheming, lying, cheating corporations. But if an individual does the same thing? Why that's just fine...no ethical problem at all.

Just sayin'...

P.S. I'm certainly not pointing fingers at the OP, nor at anyone who replied. Just suggesting that we all examine our ethical standards and see if we aren't sometimes inflexible when it suits our prejudices.

Considering the reasons I don't have my stove installed yet (even though I bought it over two months ago) involves major home repair that I undertook single-handedly, pregnancy, an unforeseen major blizzard that dumped eight inches of snow, and having to leave town for a month so I could care for my father who is dying of cancer, I don't feel that badly about fudging all of five days.

~Rose

DanCorcoran said:
Strange. When I worked for a large corporation, we always had to be sure we followed the letter of the law, including whether a capital asset was in service by the end of the year. If we hadn't, I feel certain a lot of folks on here would have raised a ruckus about unethical, scheming, lying, cheating corporations. But if an individual does the same thing? Why that's just fine...no ethical problem at all.

Just sayin'...

P.S. I'm certainly not pointing fingers at the OP, nor at anyone who replied. Just suggesting that we all examine our ethical standards and see if we aren't sometimes inflexible when it suits our prejudices.

Your point is certainly understood. And I do not condone lying. However, my point is, what does it take for you to PROVE to them that you DID have it installed before the end of the year other than your receipts? What does it take for them to PROVE that you DID NOT?

I just don't think it is worth their time or effort to pursue this.

pen

Pen,

I agree. It's only when a disgruntled neighbor, ex-spouse, or employee (in the case of the corporation) gets involved that there can be problems. We each get to make our own decisions.

Franks said:

The tax credit issue doesn't end there as I had three different accountants tell me that the used stoves qualify for the tax credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.