I hate summer...short Woodsman rant.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
It's gonna be hot again today. It's gonna be humid AGAIN today. I'm sitting in the AC right now with some coffee. I'm making short trips outside because I'm a hot weather wuss. I need more wood for next winter, but I just can't imagine doing the work for it now. (doesn't really matter, because I'll be out to the timber this week sometime sweating away whether or not I want to.) I did a real crap job of collecting this past winter. I might actually have enough, but I'm not ahead one bit...

After this recent back-injury stuff it makes me a little more weary of the need to be ahead in case something happens that you can't do the hard work.

I miss getting up on a brisk fall day with a hot cup of coffee that keeps you warm until you're working hard enough to keep warm on your own. I miss tinkering in the lawn with my pipe puffing and my Carhart vest over a flannel shirt is just the right amount of clothing.

I miss being chilly enough to need a robe until i get the woodstove REALLY cranking.

Where did the cold weather go? Oh well. It'll be back.

I done 20 cords this spring and a few more left over from last year and now have a kidney stone and a blister the size of a golf ball on my right foot glad I am ahead. With the meds they have me on I really should not be on a saw...

Danno77 said:
It's gonna be hot again today. It's gonna be humid AGAIN today. I'm sitting in the AC right now with some coffee. I'm making short trips outside because I'm a hot weather wuss. I need more wood for next winter, but I just can't imagine doing the work for it now. (doesn't really matter, because I'll be out to the timber this week sometime sweating away whether or not I want to.) I did a real crap job of collecting this past winter. I might actually have enough, but I'm not ahead one bit...

After this recent back-injury stuff it makes me a little more weary of the need to be ahead in case something happens that you can't do the hard work.

I miss getting up on a brisk fall day with a hot cup of coffee that keeps you warm until you're working hard enough to keep warm on your own. I miss tinkering in the lawn with my pipe puffing and my Carhart vest over a flannel shirt is just the right amount of clothing.

I miss being chilly enough to need a robe until i get the woodstove REALLY cranking.

Muggy weather moving in up here for this week, I was back in the woods last night and it was hot but not any bugs yet. The temps at night have been in the low 40's.

zap

Danno77 said:
After this recent back-injury stuff ....

Brief suggestion from a long time bad back pain sufferer who lives in hot/humid climate....
Try a little dose of Ibuprofen, or your otherwise prefered painkiller. Heat tolerance seems to go down as pain goes up. It helps me.
Wish someone had suggested it to me years ago.

Danno- if it helps, I got snowed on both Sunday and most of Monday. Only 2 nights without a fire so far, June 6 & 7th. Take a road trip, you can have snowball fights all year out here! :cheese:

Beetle-Kill said:
Danno- if it helps...
no. no it doesn't help. thanks for trying, lol.

Danno77 said:

That is exactly how I feel, right down to the coffee and pipe.

I absolutely HATE summer. Any temp over 70 degrees and I am absolutely miserable!

I miss the cool crisp fall mornings, looking at the colors of fall, taking the whole month of October off, bird hunting behind one of my German Shorthairs.........

Sorry, I live for summer, it has been too wet around here lately. But the cool and cold weather can wait and I don't mind sweating, it is a good thing because I sweat like a pig. Plus summer time is golf time.

I actually enjoy the change of seasons. Ideally I would be "all done" with the wood making when the mercury jumps above 80. But I have yet to achieve that state of nirvana.

I have found that there's a compromise. When it was cool and the bugs weren't awake yet, I did what I could to bring the wood into my backyard - in 5-foot logs. Now I have the rest of the summer (sort of) to buck and split.

The sweat really rolls when I'm workin' on the wood, but at least I'm not getting eaten alive. I've also learned that there are a few pleasures to be had at this time. When the work's all done to sit in the wire-mesh rocking chair with an ice cold one is a real treat. Or if it's exceptionally hot I'll jump in the kids' wading pool and float on a pool toy (with an ice cold one). This I get to enjoy only for about 2 minutes before the kids notice that Dad is in the pool and think he's just bored silly with no one else with him.

Danno77 said:
I'm making short trips outside because I'm a hot weather wuss.
Ja, me too. I do my wood processing in the Winter and Spring. Worked up a sweat and had to take the jacket off!

100_0321.jpg

It's the poisen ivy that chaps my plums this time of the year. Last year I made the mistake of felling trees into April..2 cortizone shots, 4 dr visits, and 3 scripts of steroids later I earned scars from the rash..

Summer? The hottest it's been here is 70. Never hit 60 today. We are going on the coldest June on record. I'm thinking of a fire tonight. >:-(

I normally put wood working aside from late April until after Labor Day but.... a friends mom had a large (approx 40" DBH) Red Oak taking down and bucked to length. His splitter needs repair and asked if I wouldnt mind bringing mine over and we would share the wood. Couldnt refuse.... I ended up with a about 1 1/4 full cord of solid oak - all aplit and most stacked (had to get it split to get the seasoning going, wanted to get it split for the summer seasoning time - wont be needed for a few years). Wrestling with those 40" oak rounds to get under the splitter was a work out - much better suited for cold weather.

Sounds like you should move north!

If I process wood in the summer I usually pull the tree out of the woods with a tractor and cut it in the field or lane. Maybe you should consider moving to alaska.

My wife hates the winter. I hate the summer. The compromise is to live someplace where we both get a pretty good example of both. Sometimes I think I'd live far north if not for her, but when we visit family in Colorado I really start missing deciduous trees and cornfields. So, I'll just whine about it and do nothing, instead, lol.

I'm like Black Jacque . . . I like the change of seasons and the "new" opportunities that arrive.

Fall: The perfect time to get a jump on the following year's wood . . . or maybe the year after that with some cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking. For fun: ATVing and geocaching . . . and getting in one final camping trip . . . or two.

Winter: Time to enjoy the fruit of my labors from the previous year or two with some nice fires. I've tried cutting wood in the winter, but due to the deep snow I don't find it very enjoyable. For fun: snowmobiling.

Spring: When the weather turns so that there's no longer enough snow to snowmobile, but it's too muddy to get the ATVs on the trails (we have a Mud Season restriction on ATVs here) I fire up my ATV and cut some more wood . . . or split the last of any wood that I might not have finished off in the Fall. For fun: taking the ATV into the woods to "work" on the wood and geocaching.

Summer: Things slow up about now . . . but that's OK since there are plenty of other projects to do around the house. Once in awhile for fun I'll load up and go cut some more wood or split some wood. For fun: ATVing, geocaching and camping . . . and campfires when friends come to visit.

About the only time of year that I really hate is Black Fly Season . . . fortunately the season was wicked short this year.

I must admit I'm really dreading retirement . . . my wife wants to move south when I retire since she hates Maine winters. . . . :(

Danno77 said:

Soon enough my friend...soon enough.
Before you know it this forum is gonna be chock full of posts like"is this wood ready to burn" or "Do I have enough" and "can I burn Pine without getting Cancer?"

You'll be able to sit by the window with your coffee and look out at the snow covered stacks And feel all warm and fuzzy!

I’m like Black Jacque . . . I like the change of seasons and the “new” opportunities that arrive.

Isn't there a song along these lines? "For every season...turn...turn...turn"

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I’m like Black Jacque . . . I like the change of seasons and the “new” opportunities that arrive.

Yes- Peter, Paul, and Mary singing about their addiction to wood lathes and cabinet making in general. :)

268 days since we last saw 75 °F here. And it looks like we aren't going to see it next week. I almost lit a fire last night. Please send your summer heat here.

Cluttermagnet said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

Yes- Peter, Paul, and Mary singing about their addiction to wood lathes and cabinet making in general. :)

That explains it . . . I believe Paul now lives in Maine . . . Blue Hill I think . . . but my memory might be failing me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.