I hate this Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harman has not changed the supplier of any of their motors, to my knowledge...Fasco,Dayton, Gleason Avery..same same. Some 95%+ of blower motors I replace are killed my rabid dust bunnies....sharp pointy teeth.

Exactly, tires were a bad example. I dont think anyone would blame a brand auto for a bad tire. But any other component on that auto breaks prematurely , more than once , you will blame the manfg. . I doubt if your XYZ Autos electrical system gave you troubles in and out you would say its a lemon , dont buy this brand , piece of garbage, merely by the frustration. Chances are they outsourced the wiring harness and other electrical components to Qoung Dong Electric. Your saying dont blame brand XYZ Auto, just blame Quong Dong ? I doubt that.

whlago said:
lbcynya said:
Kenwheeler said:
As to the response from ibcynya. I have a Ford truck, it runs great. If I got a flat, I'd fix it with the spare tire that came with the truck and I'd try not to run over tire damaging items. However, if I bought that new truck and before I could drive it the engine needed replaced (couldn't use stove a week after install, bad feed motor), I'd question my purchase. If 2 years later the transmission went out. I'd think they were building inferior vehicles. I couldn't be sure, but you better believe my next truck would come from a better builder. That said I'd also like others to know. Just because some "money hungry, fly by night" purchased a name, doesn't mean they also purchased the quality.

You missed the point. Tire was an example, maybe I should have used another one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of parts on your truck not made by Ford.

A Harman specific example, the feed motor is make by Gleason Avery. Personally, I have a bone to pick with GA because their noisy. Others on the forum have commented that GA units are some of the "highest quality" units out there, but I'm looking for a quieter alternative. Now, maybe there are other units that are much quieter, but less reliable or twice the price. All those factors go into specifying a particular model. It's all a balance. I don't blame Harman for my noisy gearmotor because I simply don't know all the facts they do. If the stove was my only source of heat, I might be less concerned about noise and more concerned about reliability. In my case, I'd deal with it if it was quiet till it quit.

Dirty power can also contribute to electrical failures, so the true cause of your issues could be electrical gremlins, but that's just one of those things you'll never know... Also, dirty power can be a single instance, many instances or constant...once again hard to know unless you have thousands of dollars of monitoring equipment or elaborate protection 24/7.

So, when I see "I hate XYZ Brand" I tend to believe those people haven't taken the time to understand what XYZ Brand is comprised of and the myriad of circumstances that could lead to a component failure.

I expect everything to fail eventually. If it fails during the warranty period, great. If not, I replace it and move on. My wood appliances pay me every year, so giving a little back is no sweat...

Anyway, back to your rant.

I am sorry but I really have to disagree with this philosophy....If I buy a car, pellet stove, jet airplane, t.v. set, you name it. I am buying for the quality of the maker of the black box. Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make all the components that go into the black box, they rarely do, but they are responsible for the functionality of the components that make up their black box. If they decide to use cheap components to make up their black box I am going to say their black box sucks, not the components. If they want to be known for a quality black box then they should choose quality components that make it up. my 2 cents.

Lousyweather said:
smoke show said:
They all got one thing in common.

They burn pallets. :lol:

hardwood pallets or softwood pallets? whats better? the loading door must be big too....how many pallets per day does it use?
smoke show said:
a bag of pallets on average.

Must be one of them 1 Tun Supersax

To the OP, sorry about the issues your having....kinda stinks

whlago said:
lbcynya said:
Kenwheeler said:
As to the response from ibcynya. I have a Ford truck, it runs great. If I got a flat, I'd fix it with the spare tire that came with the truck and I'd try not to run over tire damaging items. However, if I bought that new truck and before I could drive it the engine needed replaced (couldn't use stove a week after install, bad feed motor), I'd question my purchase. If 2 years later the transmission went out. I'd think they were building inferior vehicles. I couldn't be sure, but you better believe my next truck would come from a better builder. That said I'd also like others to know. Just because some "money hungry, fly by night" purchased a name, doesn't mean they also purchased the quality.

You missed the point. Tire was an example, maybe I should have used another one of the hundreds, maybe thousands of parts on your truck not made by Ford.

A Harman specific example, the feed motor is make by Gleason Avery. Personally, I have a bone to pick with GA because their noisy. Others on the forum have commented that GA units are some of the "highest quality" units out there, but I'm looking for a quieter alternative. Now, maybe there are other units that are much quieter, but less reliable or twice the price. All those factors go into specifying a particular model. It's all a balance. I don't blame Harman for my noisy gearmotor because I simply don't know all the facts they do. If the stove was my only source of heat, I might be less concerned about noise and more concerned about reliability. In my case, I'd deal with it if it was quiet till it quit.

Dirty power can also contribute to electrical failures, so the true cause of your issues could be electrical gremlins, but that's just one of those things you'll never know... Also, dirty power can be a single instance, many instances or constant...once again hard to know unless you have thousands of dollars of monitoring equipment or elaborate protection 24/7.

So, when I see "I hate XYZ Brand" I tend to believe those people haven't taken the time to understand what XYZ Brand is comprised of and the myriad of circumstances that could lead to a component failure.

I expect everything to fail eventually. If it fails during the warranty period, great. If not, I replace it and move on. My wood appliances pay me every year, so giving a little back is no sweat...

Anyway, back to your rant.

I am sorry but I really have to disagree with this philosophy....If I buy a car, pellet stove, jet airplane, t.v. set, you name it. I am buying for the quality of the maker of the black box. Obviously the manufacturer doesn't make all the components that go into the black box, they rarely do, but they are responsible for the functionality of the components that make up their black box. If they decide to use cheap components to make up their black box I am going to say their black box sucks, not the components. If they want to be known for a quality black box then they should choose quality components that make it up. my 2 cents.

That's where you and I differ. Maybe that's where our experience differs... I've inspected and researched just about every main component on my stove and Harman has and still does use quality parts. Quality of construction is second to none and ESP control is a thing of beauty. But, everything will fail eventually. Some fail early, some fail late. In the most simplistic terms, it's luck of the draw or law of averages. Trashing a product over a failure which is bound to happen is being a bit juvenile, IMO. I choose not to live my life that way and I'm not one to hand out sympathy in lieu of facts. We're all entitled... If you want simple, buy a cord wood stove (as noted above) and forget all this fancy pellet gismotronic stuff. Use a couple cans with a string over a cell phone... Everything has a price...

So, let me ask a question - Let's say Harman came up with a P68 stove that would never have a failure, ever - How much would you pay for it? $10k, 15k?, 20k?, more?

Attachments

• 7378021_Mega-brass.jpg
    7378021_Mega-brass.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 484
Unlike you, I'm not a person that tears apart everything I buy just to see how it works. I find that to be kind of juvenile. I know how to take care of my stuff. I follow the OWNERs MANUAL. How much would I pay for a stove that works? Not sure, I paid $3500 for a Harmon stove that didn't work when I got it and broke down 2 years after that. I bet the next stove doesn't cost near as much. Maybe I'll just chiesel off the name and attach it to the new brand because that's all I paid for with that crappy Harmon.

Bottom line is that I don't care what brand of stove you have, If you have failures a month after the warranty expires the dealer SHOULD do something to help. That's just plain good business and the right thing to do.

I don't like Harmon either, but I do like Harman. Knock off companies these days. I bet Harmon is made in China too.

Delta-T said:
Harman has not changed the supplier of any of their motors, to my knowledge...Fasco,Dayton, Gleason Avery..same same. Some 95%+ of blower motors I replace are killed my rabid dust bunnies....sharp pointy teeth.

How much difference can there really be between stoves if they all have the same internal parts???

IHATEPROPANE said:
Delta-T said:

How much difference can there really be between stoves if they all have the same internal parts???

Come now, you don't really want to go there at all, do you?

SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Delta-T said:

If he does? ? ? Let us know. I will get the Popcorn. ;-P

DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Delta-T said:

I bet it would get interesting, but I don't want to change the direction of the thread....

IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Delta-T said:

I bet it would get interesting, but I don't want to change the direction of the thread....

O' come now it could be fun! ;-)

Did someone say popcorn! Mmmmm love popcorn and a good show!

Speaking of show where the heck is he? :cheese:

j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Delta-T" date="1328748282 said:

I brought up the point in another thread...hopefully there is some useful feed back that will help current and future pellet stove owners.

smoke show said:
They all got one thing in common.

They burn pallets. :lol:

i tried burning pallets in my harmin....but they wouldnt fit in the hopper!

Kenwheeler said:
Unlike you, I'm not a person that tears apart everything I buy just to see how it works. I find that to be kind of juvenile. I know how to take care of my stuff. I follow the OWNERs MANUAL. How much would I pay for a stove that works? Not sure, I paid $3500 for a Harmon stove that didn't work when I got it and broke down 2 years after that. I bet the next stove doesn't cost near as much. Maybe I'll just chiesel off the name and attach it to the new brand because that's all I paid for with that crappy Harmon.

Geez, it's been in front of us the whole time and I'm embarrassed that I missed it. You must have paid too much for a cheap knockoff called a Harmon. I think those are made in Nigria or Jamaica.

Here I thought you had a Harman. In that case, Dex will give you a cool $500 for it and you can go get yourself a real stove. Problem solved...I'm out. Enjoy your $3500 paperweight.

j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Someone mentions a change of thread direction and you think of me?

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
IHATEPROPANE" date="1328767620 said:

Someone mentions a change of thread direction and you think of me?

Your the 1st that comes to mind. . . ;-P

Ibcynya - I would def give $500. Or trade??? I have a Great working Quad that has had NO issues.

Just sayin.....

smoke show said:
No issues at all?

just askin....

Nope...

Well... I changed the ignitor out and the Door gasket at the end of last season. Old ignitor is still good. Had 3 misfires last season. Did it as a P.M.
Gasket was Bad.... But other than that... No problems. At all. Other than I want another stove....

Thats it... Period. Im one of the few to sell a good working stove, with lots of parts, to get a better stove. With more users input.

Dont use it much at all now. Because of furnace. But I still want a freestanding upstairs for warmer nights , around 35°-40°.

greg13 said:
Bottom line is that I don't care what brand of stove you have, If you have failures a month after the warranty expires the dealer SHOULD do something to help. That's just plain good business and the right thing to do.

In your opinion...How many months after the warranty expires, is the dealer responsible??

At Dex, don't be so quick to sell your stove, I was counting (hopefully) on taking that stove off your hands when you sell it...My barn is begging me for some heat!!

Hitch said:
If anyone knows how to make Hermoan, please let me know. I haven't figured that part out yet. :)

Just what I suspected...SE PA, In the SW, corner of the state, all the men know how to make Hermoan... Stomp on her toes and she will squeal like a stuck pig!!!

im not crazy about my harman either, thats why its a back up to my cumberland.

Status
Not open for further replies.