I hate this Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eatonpcat said:
greg13 said:
Bottom line is that I don't care what brand of stove you have, If you have failures a month after the warranty expires the dealer SHOULD do something to help. That's just plain good business and the right thing to do.

In your opinion...How many months after the warranty expires, is the dealer responsible??

At Dex, don't be so quick to sell your stove, I was counting (hopefully) on taking that stove off your hands when you sell it...My barn is begging me for some heat!!

If your serious, We can talk. I have a buddy that Wants/Wanted it? But he has showed less and less interest.

Better deal than you will find in most places. Let me ensure he doesn't want it. Then I will send you a PM with my asking offer. If you haven't seen what I wanted already posted in a thread.

Smoke- Not taking away from Quad. But the CB 1200 has very little user input. It's no AE, thats for sure..... One Hell of a heater. But its High/Med/Low.... Thats it

I'm sorry to hear about your Harmon, I suppose as they say there are good and bad in almost everything. I think you just happened to get the bad one out of the lot. Harmon should run and run for years without so much as needing a drop of oil as long as they are cleaned and well maintained.

My friend up the road has a Harmon, he's had his for 4 years, and never did a thing to it other than enjoys the heat every winter. His is a P 68 also and no problems. Would I buy a Harmon ? Not very likely to happen, I think they are way overpriced, you put the pellets in, they burn, you get some heat just like any other pellet stove. Maybe built a little stronger but still too much money for what your getting in my opinion.

I think there was a poll here once about what stove do you have and are you happy with it so far... Thats always a good topic....

DexterDay said:
Eatonpcat said:
greg13 said:
Bottom line is that I don't care what brand of stove you have, If you have failures a month after the warranty expires the dealer SHOULD do something to help. That's just plain good business and the right thing to do.

In your opinion...How many months after the warranty expires, is the dealer responsible??

At Dex, don't be so quick to sell your stove, I was counting (hopefully) on taking that stove off your hands when you sell it...My barn is begging me for some heat!!

If your serious, We can talk. I have a buddy that Wants/Wanted it? But he has showed less and less interest.

Better deal than you will find in most places. Let me ensure he doesn't want it. Then I will send you a PM with my asking offer. If you haven't seen what I wanted already posted in a thread.

Smoke- Not taking away from Quad. But the CB 1200 has very little user input. It's no AE, thats for sure..... One Hell of a heater. But its High/Med/Low.... Thats it

I guess you'll have to sell it to some other lucky guy, Sounds like you're ready to sell soon, I will have to wait a while for the barn project.

Harman Invincible RS 10+ years old
one combustion blower, this year

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
Do any of you realize what it's taken for me to stay out of this thread???? Just sayin......

Its about time you controlled yourself! Just sayin. ;-P

I'm crushed........

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
Do any of you realize what it's taken for me to stay out of this thread???? Just sayin......

ruthless.

Harman Lover 007 said:

Starting to wish I'd stayed out of it, :-S But come on jump in and tell us what you think. ;-P

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:

ruthless.

Just trying to keep up with you! ;-) hehe!

DexterDay said:
Eatonpcat said:
greg13 said:

CB1200 is a boring stove, like mine, has never misfired.

slls said:

love this.^

greg13 said:

absolutely agree......it does suck ole Ken had the issues he has had, and Im sure his dealer is a good guy, but it doesnt ring true that he didnt get an answer in 3 days, or he didnt have a part, etc.....I dont doubt that Ken isnt telling us the truth, but Ive dealt with Harman for a number of years (yay- going to Cancun.....you dealers know what I mean), and we almost ALWAYS get an immediate answer.....in my mind, the dealer might be playing "good cop-bad cop", with the dealer, of course, being the good cop....

As for warrantees......electronics of that age...2 year warrantee. Not 1 year, not 3, not 2 years and 2 weeks, but 2 years. It sucks yours pooped out 2 weeks after the warantee expired, but, ya have to draw the line somewhere. Or, should the warrantee coverage be arbitrary and open, depending on how much of a squeeky wheel you are? Didnt think so.

Lousyweather said:
greg13 said:

absolutely agree......it does suck ole Ken had the issues he has had, and Im sure his dealer is a good guy, but it doesnt ring true that he didnt get an answer in 3 days, or he didnt have a part, etc.....I dont doubt that Ken isnt telling us the truth, but Ive dealt with Harman for a number of years (yay- going to Cancun.....you dealers know what I mean), and we almost ALWAYS get an immediate answer.....in my mind, the dealer might be playing "good cop-bad cop", with the dealer, of course, being the good cop....

As for warrantees......electronics of that age...2 year warrantee. Not 1 year, not 3, not 2 years and 2 weeks, but 2 years. It sucks yours pooped out 2 weeks after the warantee expired, but, ya have to draw the line somewhere. Or, should the warrantee coverage be arbitrary and open, depending on how much of a squeeky wheel you are? Didnt think so.

(shakes fist in the air) Knew it would be someone on here who beat me out for the trip. Its ok, you have fun.....I'd prolly just get kidnapped anyways.

Is that why Haremins cost so much? Trips to Cancun? ;-)

smoke show said:
Is that why Haremins cost so much? Trips to Cancun? ;-)

The trip itself is not that expensive....its the gold nuggets they give out at the xmas parties that really add up.

slls said:
DexterDay said:
Eatonpcat said:
greg13 said:

A door gasket and an ignitor (didnt even really nees it) are all I have done to it.... Its a Fantastic heater. Only getting rid of it because I want High/Low capability.

My biggest fear is my new stove not heating as well as this one does. It runs on Low with no troubles and burns cleaner than most doing so. Not taking away from it. Bullet proof and has never had any problems with bad pellets. Burns it all. Even does straight corn pretty well (huge clinker after 24 hrs).

But its time to pass the torch and let someone else have years of satisfaction out of it. Im moving on. Hope I dont regret it. I hear a lot of stoves dont like running on Low. My home doesnt need a stove cranking all the time.

Fingers crossed. ;-P

I'm suprised your not keeping it.

There must be an open corner somewhere? ;-)

IMHO, There isn't a perfect stove line out there. They all can have issues from time to time caddy or not. I had issues with my Omega. Luckily it was warrantied. I also have had to tweak it for excessive pellets in the ash pan. Just tweaked it some more to ride it of the groan when carbon built up in the burnpot liner. Very annoying too!

My Breckwell was the worst. Warped ash pan. Blown convection blower and the replacement was short lived too. 3 in just 8 months. I had to change the bearings in the combustion blower withing 1 years time. Didn't dare ask the dealer for any help after the convection blower issues and lack of heat. I did like Ken wants to. Sold it and moved on.

My 94 quad was bullet proof. Besides the replacement cast burnpot and igniter(ceramic original cracked replaced by original owner under warrenty). I only needed to change one snap disc. So from 94 to 2007 it ran not stop and was worked hard all day and night to keep us warm in the cold. A friend bought a 1997 quad 1000 and had nothin but issues with his. 3 Control boxes and a couple igniters. Auger motor died 4 weeks after purchase. But it's still working for him.

I chalk it up to saving cash. I have saved so much over electric I don't think any of them owe me nothin. I am way a head even with the spare parts I have to keep due to not trusting a local dealer having what I need in stock if mine dies. It's my primary source of heat so I take no chances! I would do this again without batting an eye! Saving up for a pellet furnace once my Omega needs replacing. But my mid life crisis has me buying toys so that won't be anytime soon!

Love my pellet eater and its cousin the wood eater sitting there to back it up! I don't see myself without either unless I cash in big! :cheese:

dw06 said:
Harman Lover 007 said:

Starting to wish I'd stayed out of it, :-S But come on jump in and tell us what you think. ;-P

I really can't comment since I don't own a HarmOn.......

either there is a lot of love or a lot of hate towards harman i have not seen a topic have so many responses in a while.

My opinion, when you buy a pellet stove you don't know what you're going to get. Harman is just like any other manufacturer, they live by the profit margins. They want you to believe their product is superior, but they too look for ways to cut costs. Obviously, this results in consumers having to replace expensive parts in the future. The company has a good name, but in this industry manufacturers don't want to deal with the consumer. So the dealer has to pick up from when the stove is sold. Does this mean that one blown motor makes Harman a bad company? Not in my opinion. I would be pissed too if I had spent over $3 g's and just after warranty had to cough up $ for parts. This is when you suck it up and adjust though. I'm sure replacing that motor would give you a good stove. If you don't want to worry about replacing parts maybe pellet stoves aren't for you. Interesting thing is, the stove you got rid of, Englander stoves are known for being a no frills good quality product. I feel for you, but to me this is just a part of pellet stove ownership.

Ok, that about wraps it up for me. Good luck with the sale of your Harman and the use of whatever heating-device replacement you get.

petemal said:
either there is a lot of love or a lot of hate towards harman i have not seen a topic have so many responses in a while.

I don't love them or hate them. But I like them. Looked hard at the p68 and the PC45. But I scored one heck of a deal on my Enviro. Otherwise, I'd be tending to the P68. ;-)

So they can just be liked. Good stove if you can score one reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.