i have $1,500 to spend on a splitter - which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
been eyeing a speeco at the local farm store - think it was a 22 ton with a 5.5 honda engine

might do 5-6 cord a year

any suggestions?

thanks

I just purchased the troy-bilt 27 ton. I got it for 1290.00 brand new. it has the honda, which i wanted. splitter works great

Not familiar with that model but you can't go wrong with Honda reliability. My 20 ton splitter with 5 HP B&S;serves me well but is a little slow. I split more than 6 cord a year.

I don't care for the lack of side supports as they do tend to hold the medium sized halves for when you resplit into quarters. Really big pieces fall anyway despite the side supports so I set a large block on end on the far side of the beam to place one half onto while I resplit the other half. If you use it vertically it woudn't matter.

af8fb4511198481dccc7dca7708e165d.jpg

I;m going to say the same thing every hydraulic splitter owner tells every one who asks a non-hydraulic splitter related splitting question: Save your money and swing that maul!

Wasn't that helpful?

woolybugger said:
I just purchased the troy-bilt 27 ton. I got it for 1290.00 brand new. it has the honda, which i wanted. splitter works great
Thats what i got as well

I could see where on the Speeco the channels on top of the beam where the head travels could built up with crud when using it horizontal. I often slam the split round on the top of the beam to break loose stringy pieces and to shake off dirt. Not a good idea on the Speeco.

I bought my MTD years ago on sale for less than $800. I think $1290 today for the 27 ton with Honda engine is good value.

Bigg_Redd said:
I;m going to say the same thing every hydraulic splitter owner tells every one who asks a non-hydraulic splitter related splitting question: Save your money and swing that maul!

Wasn't that helpful?

:lol: nope not very ;)

where are you guys finding the troy built ones?

Menards was where I bought mine.

Stevebass4 said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Wasn't that helpful?

:lol: nope not very ;)

where are you guys finding the troy built ones?
Lowes and with tax was just under 1500.00

For that kind of coin you have a lot of splitters to chose from so good luck to ya...sorry my only experience is with an 'American' splitter made in upstate NY. It's about 25 years old and if I had to buy another splitter it would be the same brand...but that don't help you.

3142212552_96ddb05793_m.jpg

I took this photo to send to American and ask what size (8ton, 10 ton?) they thought it was...cause it's been so long I dunno. so that is why the tape measure is opened across the piston.

Just make sure the beam can stand vertical. I'd surely hate to have to lift all the logs before splitting them. Better to stand the beam up. I even sit while splitting wood! Works like a charm and don't even work up a sweat.

Yes, a vertical beam is nice for really big rounds that are too heavy to lift. That said, I thought I would use vertical mode a lot but I don't. If I can lift the round, it goes on the beam horizontal. Never tried sitting.

Buy a Huskee 22 ton splitter and save around $500 to buy a good saw.

Shipper

But why lift those logs at all? That's a lot of bending for sure. I'm also wondering what you do when the log gets split perhaps 6 times. Do you have to drop some on the ground and then lift them up again?

For example; say I have a fair sized log and I split it down the middle. Then I just sit half to one side while I continue to split the other half. Then when that is done, I simply slide or roll that half that was set aside onto the splitter and finish it. That seems like it would be a lot of work in horizontal.

One more thing. If anyone has a bad back like mine, you don't want to do any more bending than is necessary. I was taught that when you have a tool, like a splitter, then you should not work any harder than necessary. Lifting logs is work. A lot more work than simply rolling a log onto the splitter.

Backwoods Savage said:
But why lift those logs at all? That's a lot of bending for sure. I'm also wondering what you do when the log gets split perhaps 6 times. Do you have to drop some on the ground and then lift them up again?
It's my exercise program. Saves the cost of a gym membership.

If doing quarters, I just put the halves back together and turn the round 90 degrees. For the really big stuff, I set a big round on end next to the beam like a side table, letting one half roll onto it while I re-split the other half into more than quarters. The splits never hit the ground so I don't have to stoop to pick them up.

The only time i use mine in the horizontal mode is when i have some splits in a pile that wasnt done small enough in the frist place. Most of my rounds are way to heavy for two people to lift. (but my rounds are normally 45 in +)

We don't see many trees that big sold for firewood in the round. For that matter, we don't see many big trees period, because there is not much old growth left around here. Commercial logging would take those to a mill and the tree service companies cutting that sort of stuff from residential areas are not my supplier.

That said, I have had some beautiful straight grained stuff delivered to me that was a real shame to buck up. LOL... saw a guy in my driveway one day stopped near my woodpile. As I walked up to the pickup, the guy said "I'm just admiring your Ash", to which I replied, "I sure hope for your sake you don't have a speech impediment!".

LLigetfa said:
We don't see many trees that big sold for firewood in the round. For that matter, we don't see many big trees period, because there is not much old growth left around here. Commercial logging would take those to a mill and the tree service companies cutting that sort of stuff from residential areas are not my supplier.

That said, I have had some beautiful straight grained stuff delivered to me that was a real shame to buck up. LOL... saw a guy in my driveway one day stopped near my woodpile. As I walked up to the pickup, the guy said "I'm just admiring your Ash", to which I replied, "I sure hope for your sake you don't have a speech impediment!".
Ive got people stoping to see if i will sell to them wood on a weekly bais there alot of wood around my house. When i know i have enough for 3 years I will sell off whats left. (Ive got more people calling about cutting wood and hauling it away then I could hope to cut in 3 months)

smokinj said:
The only time i use mine in the horizontal mode is when i have some splits in a pile that wasnt done small enough in the frist place. Most of my rounds are way to heavy for two people to lift. (but my rounds are normally 45 in +)

Holy cow! those rounds are to big for me to even roll it over broken ground...I'm guessing a tree that big you're bucking right wear it falls. If my wood was that big I'd be burning coal.

savageactor7 said:
smokinj said:

Holy cow! those rounds are to big for me to even roll it over broken ground...I'm guessing a tree that big you're bucking right wear it falls. If my wood was that big I'd be burning coal.
yes everthing done where it falls and you get a knack for rolling it and turning it into the splitter without lifting a thing!(just pray it splits down the middle) and if it doesn't the maul sledge and wedge are always close by!

J when I occasionally run into trees the tractor won't pull, like 30" - 36" I use a 'spud bar' to move 'em around broken ground. Did you ever use one of them? It's a steel pry bar about 6' long, flattened on one end and a round hand stopper on the other. Supposedly it can't be bent using manpower and is a great lever to bring into the woods...if ya need one.

Anyway if you don't use one now I would highly recommend one...if ya don't know what I'm talking about I can post a pic of one.

here's one

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/digger-tamper.htm

to clarify, I use the spud bar to move the rounds around...not the tree. Although in the past I have occasionally use it on a log to free my saw that was stuck...kind of embarrassing to admit but it happens.

never seen one i can usally just roll it a couple feet, sometimes I will use the "timber jack" (I move the splitter ever coulpe rounds as well)

troy built, yard machines, cub cadet, mtd are all essentially the same machine manufactured by mtd. pay no attention to the tonnage. you should be able to get into a 4 1/2" sleave, 11 gpm 2 stage pump, 5-6 hp motor for 1000-1200. this should accomplish all your needs

Shipper50 said:
Buy a Huskee 22 ton splitter and save around $500 to buy a good saw.

Shipper

:) the saw was my first purchase

huskey 272xp. I found it at a yard sale - it was never used when i bought it - i think she has about ten cord on her now

chaps001.jpg

Thats a saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.