I have a idea and need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Ok so heres the plan , I have a wood burning pit in the back yard that I would like to make into a Pizza Oven....OK follow me on this . I saw the weber grill kit to make a wood fired pizza oven out of a grill. The wife has shot the idea down so I'm rethinking the plan , If I can find a 26-28 grill dome I can make the pit into a pizza oven. Thats where I need help, this a low budget project I have called weber and a new "lid " is 170.00 way out of the range . Any Ideas......

I have not seen the Weber kit and will check it out. I made a cut in an old Weber lid to cook pizza in the grill and it and it worked well. I'll grab a picture tonight and put it up. On Youtube, I've seen pizza ovens made out of refractory bricks and angle iron that can be a cheap way to make one. They can be built in in hour or so, need no poured foundation, and can be taken apart and moved if needed.

A little searching should give you some ideas.

Edit: I use a piece of angle iron between the pizza and coals to prevent burnt crust.

Reactions: PapaDave
I have not seen the Weber kit and will check it out. I made a cut in an old Weber lid to cook pizza in the grill and it and it worked well. I'll grab a picture tonight and put it up. On Youtube, I've seen pizza ovens made out of refractory bricks and angle iron that can be a cheap way to make one. They can be built in in hour or so, need no poured foundation, and can be taken apart and moved if needed.

A little searching should give you some ideas.

My youtube is blocked at work .... Im on my way home to view

JIM

search the forum there are a few threads where members built different style ovens

This is just an old Weber grill cover with the arch cut out to rotate the pizza a 1/4 turn every 30 seconds or so. I made hot fires with small oak pieces about 1" square for a real hot, intense fire. I'm talking kindling sized wood. The fire was built on the opposite side so the heat went up over the top of the pizza and out the arch door. It made real good pizza for what it was and got to 500::F without a problem. I used a perforated pizza pan to get the bottom nice and crisp.

IMG_3391.JPG

Preheating. After every pizza, I just added more wood to maintain temps. There is a lot of heat loss with the thin sheet metal, but enough to cook it.

DSC09389.JPG

This one is a barbecue chicken pizza with carmelized onions made in the set up above. I'm really craving pizza now.

DSC09388.JPG

Reactions: Freeheat
I think I'm going to try and find a cheap weber for this project

Status
Not open for further replies.