I have a place who would deliver 3 cords of split wood for $425.00. Is this a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post this in the wood shed and you will get more action.

Around here that would be a great deal for decent hardwood! The question is are these "real" cords & what kind of wood. A friend of mine ordered a cord & the gentleman drove up with a half ton pickup with it loose piled & my friend told him to drive away with his "face" cord. Randy

smokinjay and singedeyebrows +1. Call the gentleman and ask whether the wood is stacked or piled. If stacked, you can measure it to determine volume. If piled, guessing is the best you and he can do. I and others have seen wood advertised by the "cord", "face cord" "week-end cord", "vacation cord", and "campfire cord". Many of these sellers might consider their wood to be a "cord" of wood. Green money will almost always trump honesty and good judgement. Trust but verify. Good luck, John_M

If it's truly 3 cords and is hardwood, then I'd pay that price for it.

That's roughly $140 per cord. Which is about average around here (southern Delaware).

As others have said, verify the dimensions before you pay. If it is stacked in the truck, when they deliver, you can measure it to make sure. Otherwise, you, and they, are guessing as to whether or not it is actually a cord. You could ask them to stack it for you when they deliver it...this way you can measure it to make sure before you pay.

I had someone deliver 6 cords, and I paid for each cord individually as they delivered it. Turned out they were not delivering a full cord with each truck load...loosely stacked in a pile on the truck. So I withheld the final payment until we both agreed they had delivered a complete 6 cords...which required nearly an extra truck load

it's actually about average to high average for my area. BUT, if it's a respectable and reliable wood guy I'd be excited to pay that amount, I'd be even happier if it was seasoned at that price. But that's my area, michigan may be different.

(I think it works out to about 120-130 per cord with my wood guy, split delivered and stacked, and not seasoned to any significant degree)

Bwhunter85 said:
I have a place who would deliver 3 cords of split wood for $425.00. Is this a good deal?

Freeport? sorry bout that. :cheese: OK man sorry, I just had too...... Any way that's a good rate around here, esp. if it's at least somewhat seasoned, & will burn starting this fall. As others have said, just make sure it's a full cord. A C

for TRUE hardwood i am about to order 2-2.25 cords with mainly oak and maple in it with a few other HARDWOODS for 350 split last year and del and stacked

so i would say thats about going rate

Like everyone says it all depends on what the going rate is in your area. Check out tree service ads and craigslist for comparison.

Where I am that's a steal. Typical prices here are 180-300 for green (cut and split today) and 300+ for seasoned (at best sitting in a pile for 1 summer) cords of hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.