I have a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
Last year was my first year burning. I did pretty good imho. I had good dry wood, but I was buying. I scrounged my little butt off all winter, spring, and even summer in the heat and now I'm buried in wood! I live n the burbs. If I have .1 acre I'd be surprised. My stacking area is small to say the least. Long sty short, I'm outta room unless I move 3 plus cords of wood to make room for the cord of Hi Ho silver I scraped up yesterday. I've learned that rows running lengthwise in your stacking area are more efficient use of space. Ask me which way mine run? Oh the joys of burning.....so, today I'm gonna fix that problem......still not sure how. The 3 cords that need moved will only bury my wood for 12-13. Neighbor say I can stack there....not sure if I wanna add a third time of handling 4 cords. :(

I got room! ;-)

One small advantage of restacking is that you can move the ones from the bottom to the top, sunny side to shady side, etc. I find that the top splits in my stacks season better than splits lower down.

If it helps, you aren't the only wood burner that has to shuffle wood around and restack. Not everyone has room to stack the way they'd like to. That probably doesn't help, does it?

Bocefus78 said:
Last year was my first year burning. I did pretty good imho. I had good dry wood, but I was buying. I scrounged my little butt off all winter, spring, and even summer in the heat and now I'm buried in wood! I live n the burbs. If I have .1 acre I'd be surprised. My stacking area is small to say the least. Long sty short, I'm outta room unless I move 3 plus cords of wood to make room for the cord of Hi Ho silver I scraped up yesterday. I've learned that rows running lengthwise in your stacking area are more efficient use of space. Ask me which way mine run? Oh the joys of burning.....so, today I'm gonna fix that problem......still not sure how. The 3 cords that need moved will only bury my wood for 12-13. Neighbor say I can stack there....not sure if I wanna add a third time of handling 4 cords. :(

Bocefus78; that is a good problem to have (plenty of wood) have fun stacking!

zap

smokinjay said:
I got room! ;-)

me too. I will come and get it. LOL

I have 3 acres and have a hard time deciding where to stack. There always seems to be a better place than where it is now.

lukem said:
There always seems to be a better place than where it is now.

Yeah, but how many times do you move it there?

update:

Houston, we have termites! The crap I just unloaded has some critters in it. Besides not stacking it by the house, what do ya do?

Oh jay, I was at mounds sp Sunday and the gf and I were looking in the nature center at a lil tree id quiz thingy.....gf says, I like walnut.....I almost brought her by your place LOL

<span class="spellchecked_word">Bocefus78span> said:
update:

Houston, we have termites! The crap I just unloaded has some critters in it. Besides not stacking it by the house, what do ya do?

Oh jay, I was at mounds sp Sunday and the gf and I were looking in the nature center at a lil tree id quiz thingy.....gf says, I like walnut.....I almost brought her by your place LOL

Less than a half mile and I sold a couple pieces to them!

Bocefus78 said:

You obviously aren't here reading much. According to many of the old-lights around here wood must be moved at least twice, but the more the better.

Bocefus78 said:
update:

Are you sure they are termites? Maybe powder post beetles? If the beetles, it is nothing to worry about. Look for little piles of very fine sawdust.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bocefus78 said:
update:

Are you sure they are termites? Maybe powder post beetles? If the beetles, it is nothing to worry about. Look for little piles of very fine sawdust.

Little white critters....2 antennae coming off their head.....don't know for sure, but have a good feeling

Bocefus78 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Bocefus78 said:
update:

Little white critters....2 antennae coming off their head.....don't know for sure, but have a good feeling
You better bring that load over!

Bocefus78 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Bocefus78 said:
update:

Sounds like termites - post a pic if you want to be sure. Cheers!

Termites look like white ants, but do not have the radically segmented bodies.

Termite:

http://www.pestcontrol-nyc.com/images/termite-9-manhattan-exterminator.jpg

ant:

http://images.wikia.com/animalcrossing/images/6/69/Real_Ant.jpg

When you look at the pics, you think, "Duh", but until it's pointed out the difference in the body most people never notice. They have different types of antannae also, but when they are scurrying around your work you don't notice the things sticking off their head. As for what to do, I'd measure the increase in BTU they give.

Matt

Limestone....per your pic, definetly termites....only had 2 butt end logs with them outta a cord. Hopefully they wander elsewhere.

They burn just fine.

Flatbedford said:
They burn just fine.

Just think of it as protein for your wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.