I have a Quad Sante Fe to service today need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
Unit is less than a year ld. Customer called and said stove popped and shut off completely. Customer checked or took circuit board out and said it has a large burn spot on it. Antbody have any insight or has anybody experienced this before??

Sounds to me like it's time for a control box if it has burn spot on the board. Not the fuse is it? Under warranty of course if it is less than a year old. The question is why would the control box burn out like that. Does the stove have a surge protector on it? Was it cleaned as often as it should have been? Isolate why this happen so it won't happen again. It could have been a defective box to begin with but I'm leaning toward a cleaning thing or no surge protection.

If the unit had been running and the computer fried I would check the house to see what else is fried on a power surge if not start looking to the thermostat and tstat wire.

Eric

If it's a new quad, I wonder how he knows the board is burned unless he took the control box out and opened it. VOID! Also, if he didn't unplug the stove taking it out and putting it back in, that will blow it. Perhaps he did that to check something else. The obvious bare wire/short circuit could be the culprit such as the wires going to the igniter through the hole in the side of the ash drawer area. There is a fuse internal to the control box as well as the obvious one on the outside. If the box is fried, you're dead in the water without another one and, even then, you're taking a chance plugging a new one in without checking everywhere for a short.

Doesn't sound like we are getting all the info to trouble shoot this one.Keep us posted on the details.

Unit is less than a year ld. Customer called and said stove popped and shut off completely. Customer checked or took circuit board out and said it has a large burn spot on it. Antbody have any insight or has anybody experienced this before??

I have one that just had a bad fuse. I put in a new 7 amp AGC glass fuse and it worked fine!

Does the customer have it on a SURGE protector? ? ? :?

If there was a pop and then a burned board, it is likely that something external to the board shorted and took out one of the power switches. Fuses are almost never as fast a semiconductors.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
check the igniter...and the wires going to it, perhaps the ash pan scored or got hung up on a wire. The older versions had ceramic nuts that would come off and the wires would short out on the stove, such is not the case if it is a newer one. IF THE CONTROL BOX SHORTED OUT FROM WITHIN AND THE BOX WAS OPENED...THE BOX WILL BE VOID FROM WARRANTY. There is a fuse in the control box. Perhaps that is the thing that popped and repalcing that fuse will solve problem.

check the igniter...and the wires going to it, perhaps the ash pan scored or got hung up on a wire. The older versions had ceramic nuts that would come off and the wires would short out on the stove, such is not the case if it is a newer one. IF THE CONTROL BOX SHORTED OUT FROM WITHIN AND THE BOX WAS OPENED...THE BOX WILL BE VOID FROM WARRANTY. There is a fuse in the control box. Perhaps that is the thing that popped and repalcing that fuse will solve problem.
??? ::P

Status
Not open for further replies.